[Event] 100 Cycle Challenge

mecheng89

My experience on this route would be this,

1. Pretoria Rd through Benoni is very busy, and as you come out towards Bapsfontien the road conditions are very bad for a car / Motorcycle, so I can imagine a cyclist it would be hell.

High road from R21 all the way down to Impala park is a single lane road and is very busy even on a Sunday, and I would not be prepared to take any chance on that road.

Atlas Road is full of Taxis and they go down that road at a rate of knots.

I think I will be giving this one a miss, and to those that take part, good luck and hope your Med Aid and Life Insurance is up to date.

just followed the route on the map.

That is going to have alot of motorists up in arms on those roads.

And a serious climb to the finish

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just followed the route on the map.

That is going to have a lot of motorists up in arms on those roads. Agree

And a serious climb to the finish

Where is there a climb going to the finish?

The route heads south from Germiston Lake, then up to Carnival City before heading north to Benoni and surrounds.

Where is there a climb going to the finish?

The route heads south from Germiston Lake, then up to Carnival City before heading north to Benoni and surrounds.

maybe I followed it the wrong way around and it’s a downhill at the start.

The road from Germiston lake that becomes Blake reef and heads south towards wadeville area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maybe I followed it the wrong way around and it’s a downhill at the start.

The road from Germiston lake that becomes Blake reef and heads south towards wadeville area.

if you click on the water point, you’ll see they are numbered, so the route is anti-clockwise.

What are the interest in this event?

I had a more detailed look at the route.  The sections south from the N12 looks like the normal roads we use during the Emperors, Carnival and RFS - so all good.  As others stated, the route through Benoni (towards Baps) and back via R23/Atlas will be a serious safety issue if not managed very carefully.  Can't seem to find anything on the website on full road closure?

Not sure if I am willing to enter this one???

What are the interest in this event?

I had a more detailed look at the route. The sections south from the N12 looks like the normal roads we use during the Emperors, Carnival and RFS - so all good. As others stated, the route through Benoni (towards Baps) and back via R23/Atlas will be a serious safety issue if not managed very carefully. Can't seem to find anything on the website on full road closure?

Not sure if I am willing to enter this one???

It was discussed last night at our first race committee meeting (for our race).

We have 49 intersections in our event, which is marshaled by 150 people (excluding EMPD).

We counted more than 100 intersections, through the busy sections of the route, which means they’ll need 300 people to control each of intersection, and possibly more if it’s full road closure.

Another problem is road closure through busy urban areas between 08:00 and 15:00. That’s a long time to keep people off the roads, and more importantly crossing the route to get to the other side.

I am not entering, and if I do it will be at the 11th hour. I’ll wait for next year.

It was discussed last night at our first race committee meeting (for our race).

We have 49 intersections in our event, which is marshaled by 150 people (excluding EMPD).

We counted more than 100 intersections, through the busy sections of the route, which means they’ll need 300 people to control each of intersection, and possibly more if it’s full road closure.

Another problem is road closure through busy urban areas between 08:00 and 15:00. That’s a long time to keep people off the roads, and more importantly crossing the route to get to the other side.

I am not entering, and if I do it will be at the 11th hour. I’ll wait for next year.

Agree they are going through very busy intersections and road surface is not good at certain points. 

What we must not forget is that Ekurhuleni municipality is also part of the event. Thus the necessary will be done for the race and I brought the potholes up with the organizer a month ago at the section of the "hassie park"and they are going to fill the holes, could not mention how but will be done. 

I still think that this event can become 1 of the mayor events in Gauteng with the Capital Classic. They have the sponsors and exposure what most smaller events don't have. 

Agree they are going through very busy intersections and road surface is not good at certain points. 

What we must not forget is that Ekurhuleni municipality is also part of the event. Thus the necessary will be done for the race and I brought the potholes up with the organizer a month ago at the section of the "hassie park"and they are going to fill the holes, could not mention how but will be done. 

I still think that this event can become 1 of the mayor events in Gauteng with the Capital Classic. They have the sponsors and exposure what most smaller events don't have. 

Not sure if you are trying to warn or comfort us with that statement.

Looking at the general state of the roads and state of policing, perhaps the former? 

As reference, what other big events did the organiser do before?

The quality of the road further up Pretoria road is even worse, just before Jerry's there is a horrible stretch.  And basically the entire stretch from the Rynfield Terrace intersection to Petit is rife with seriously dangerous potholes.  What is actually needed is a 100% resurface 

Let's hope for the best

The organisers of this race have confirmed a number of times that this event will have FULL road closure.

Will be nice if it does but we'll have to wait and see.

The quality of the road further up Pretoria road is even worse, just before Jerry's there is a horrible stretch.  And basically the entire stretch from the Rynfield Terrace intersection to Petit is rife with seriously dangerous potholes.  What is actually needed is a 100% resurface 

Let's hope for the best

I often ride on this piece of stretch, all the way to Bapsfontein. The road is not the best but to be honest races like Fast One, Berg en Dale and R4S do have worst sections

The organisers of this race have confirmed a number of times that this event will have FULL road closure.

Will be nice if it does but we'll have to wait and see.

Yip they did, hope it will be and as I look at the map it do seem that we will have a short section on the R21 highway

They say the elevation gain is only 555m, has someone checked this? Is it really that little?

why is so ideal for many do to it, flat race

Not sure if you are trying to warn or comfort us with that statement.

Looking at the general state of the roads and state of policing, perhaps the former? 

As reference, what other big events did the organiser do before?

Apologies, only seeing this reply now

that they part of the event, they will or so I hope put more focus on repairing the potholes in these sections. 

Just a quick fb serach. Go West music festival, color run, etc is the events they done. 

The full road closure is likened with a bull in a china shop... possible to go off without incident, but the risk is high.

The full road closure is likened with a bull in a china shop... possible to go off without incident, but the risk is high.

947 also had full road closure when they took the race through Joburg CBD... it was chaos and they wisely decided to change the route to where they can control traffic / taxis.

Some serious concerns with the route particularly through Boksburg.  Even without full closure traveling along Atlas onto Leeupoort (which houses a major taxi rank) it will also severely impact traffic along Trichardt and Rondebuilt roads the 2 major links between Boksburg bottom and top half. I'll probably ride it but safety first, treat every intersection as if you approaching a red robot and only proceed when you sure the other vehicles have stopped. 

947 had communication on how to ease the reroute, good luck to the 100 cycle orgs on this one.