Hope HB 160

BaGearA

the pricing can get more competetive with mechanization. if you've got a CNC machine doing a lot of the work then the wages don't factor in as much. BUT i think the point is well made in the making of video, they would never do this bike for the money. It's almost more of a vanity project/team build but behind the lines i think an excuse to get in some new skills going forward.

yeah, except that the most labour intensive is also that which at the moment is not mechanisable - the frame build. 

Everything else is taken from their existing parts, which is mostly CNC but people still need to man them and design the stuff. As you know, with limited numbers the price per component goes up quite significantly. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay to get this bike HERE you're looking at atleast 130k which is one hella amount of money but consider this quickly 

This entire bike (70% roughly ) is made in their in house factory so they are making A bike for the least amount of money possible ( all their own stuff ect. ect.) 

So where do they get off asking R130 000 rand for the bike ? 

I mean yeah it's hope ( other than their brakes , its hard to tell the difference between their crank and an xtr crank for example performance wise ) but that doesn't justify the price.

Let me know what you think

SB6C R105k ( for similar build , but better wheels)

Capra CF 75K ( also similar build , also better wheels)

And those ^ are full carbon , HB160 has an alloy rear end 

It's, laaik, British brah...

Really don't get the hype.

Fixed it.

except the cost of labour in the east is FAR lower than that of aerospace engineers and F1 carbon techs in the UK. So no, your fix doesn't apply. Only valid ito the removal of "child" from child labourers. 

It's, laaik, British brah...

Really don't get the hype.

then you're not the target market. And that's okay. Neither am I, 'cos I simply don't have a spare 130k floating around looking for something to be spent on, and my current bike is bloody fantastic for my needs. 

except the cost of labour in the east is FAR lower than that of aerospace engineers and F1 carbon techs in the UK. So no, your fix doesn't apply. Only valid ito the removal of "child" from child labourers. 

I think insofar as this is a ******* bicycle we are well beyond the point of diminishing returns.

I can also pay R100 000 for a toilet seat designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, but I'd still just be taking a dump on it everyday.

I think insofar as this is a ******* bicycle we are well beyond the point of diminishing returns.

I can also pay R100 000 for a toilet seat designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, but I'd still just be taking a dump on it everyday.

but it'd be the most satisfying arse-throne of all time. Just think of it - if you have 365 ****s a year, that's R 273 per dump. Over the space of 10 years, that's down to R 27.30 per dump. You're gonna make em count... 

:P

And that is how people come to those sorts of decisions. Post purchase justification. 

I'll stay on my R 200 seat, thanks. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

but it'd be the most satisfying arse-throne of all time. Just think of it - if you have 365 ****s a year, that's R 273 per dump. Over the space of 10 years, that's down to R 27.30 per dump. You're gonna make em count... 

:P

And that is how people come to those sorts of decisions. Post purchase justification. 

I'll stay on my R 200 seat, thanks. 

my cost per s..t will be very low....

justsaying

The HB.160 is a halo bike. The idea was to showcase that Hope is able to build an entire bike completely in-house. Very few, if any, other manufacturers can claim to be able to build virtually an entire bike out of their own parts, manufactured in their own factory. 

If Hope made tyres, they could've almost made an entire Hope specced bike. 

spot on - https://www.hopetechhb.com

This was the  dream of Ian Weatherill and the late Simon Sharp, Hope’s co-founders. 

It was never about the idea of becoming a bike brand, but rather just to have the satisfaction of producing a complete bike. Initial ideas were for a welded steel frame, but as technology moved  on over the years, so their ideas moved to carbon.

#constipated #doyouevenfibrebro

I think your maths is a bit fooked. I have high volumes hence my unit cost is low.

#fiberisforchicks

#realmendrinkbeer

I think your maths is a bit fooked. I have high volumes hence my unit cost is low.

#fiberisforchicks

#realmendrinkbeer

Standaard graad wiskunde kind hier, okay.  :blush:

Made in UK / paying in GBP / limited production vs made in China/Taiwan / high volume / paying child raborers in glains of lice.

Two quotes go something like this:

Accountants would not let a company make a bike like this

And

Even if it didn't work, we all got a lift from doing it.

I like a small business that let engineers do something even if it does not make perfect financial sense but because it motivates and encourages people to do better.

In some way the first BMW M-Coupe was like this. Engineers built it withou marketing and accounting people stuffing up their vision

Edited by eddy

Brexit and bike prices. The prophecy unfolds.

There's no doubt its one of the most stunning bikes I've ever seen. 

Not THE prettiest ever but certainly up there.

It ticks all the right boxes and the numbers are bang on. Well except for the price.

But then again so do all the others these days.

Its a niche market this bike appeals to.

And Hope has no ambitions of selling them by the dozen. 

Still feel its over hyped though. Even if it were cheaper. 

If anyone intends riding this thing on our trails.

You better have the talent to match the price tag.