Hope HB 160

BaGearA

KTM 250 SXF  Electric Start, Brembo Brakes, Hydraulic Clutch, WP Suspension out of the factory. 

Ahhh.... remember these bad boys. Wonder why they haven't had another hack at the market. 

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/brake-time/415373d1228949298-brembo-brakes-mtb-lever.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really?? Coz suicide with a gun is for pussies? Have you ever ridden a 2 stroke 250? They are truly terrifying things to ride. I can't imagine what a 500 would be like.

My post wasn't about moto vs MTB. It served to highlight the frankly ridiculous prices we all swallow up without question. Oh and you could easily finance the KTM. You'd be an idiot to do so but you could.

1. Wear you big girl panties to ride it

2. Dont ever, ever ride behind another guy on one of them

3. Be prepared to replace a rear tyre after each ride, tyres are like condoms for those things

Yes, id have the MX bike before a bicycle at 1.5x the price

Really?? Coz suicide with a gun is for pussies? Have you ever ridden a 2 stroke 250? They are truly terrifying things to ride. I can't imagine what a 500 would be like.

My post wasn't about moto vs MTB. It served to highlight the frankly ridiculous prices we all swallow up without question. Oh and you could easily finance the KTM. You'd be an idiot to do so but you could.

yeah, i have ridden a stroker 250. Kawa KR250 / rd350 / kx250 etc. FUUUUUUN!! But frightening all the same

yeah, i have ridden a stroker 250. Kawa KR250 / rd350 / kx250 etc. FUUUUUUN!! But frightening all the same

Well you're braver than me. 

Anyway back on topic. I guess the Hope is for the same type of guy who has a Panigale as his Motorbike and his Road Bicycle is a Litespeed.

My brother just got himself the new Yamaha YZ 250 (two-stroke), MOTHER OF ALL THINGS HOLY THAT THING IS RIDICULOUS!!!! 

However, most fun I've had on an off road machine was a Banshee 350 and a XR500 (old shape).

Well you're braver than me. 

Anyway back on topic. I guess the Hope is for the same type of guy who has a Panigale as his Motorbike and his Road Bicycle is a Litespeed.

or, someone who doesn't GAF about any of that and just likes mtb

My brother just got himself the new Yamaha YZ 250 (two-stroke), MOTHER OF ALL THINGS HOLY THAT THING IS RIDICULOUS!!!! 

However, most fun I've had on an off road machine was a Banshee 350 and a XR500 (old shape).

yeah, the new 2 strokes are amazeballs. 

And Duane - that was before I became a pussy... :P

I learnt to ride on those offroad/ "scrambler" bikes when I was around 16. Was great fun, dunno about terrifying, can say I was ever terrified. My cousin is a maniac on those bikes.

I learnt to ride on those offroad/ "scrambler" bikes when I was around 16. Was great fun, dunno about terrifying, can say I was ever terrified. My cousin is a maniac on those bikes.

first rode a proper moto when I was about 16... KDX200

*** me, it was proper. Before I knew better and before I knew about things like consequences and restraint. 

well my cousin's boyfriend is from their home town - barnoldswick. (pop 11 000)

quite crazy i only worked this out now!

didn't realise HOPE made this much stuff, and it's not even branded - they actually make it all

Hope HB.160 spec overview

• FrameHB.160 carbon

Shock: Factory Flat X2 2 position lever

Fork: Fox Factory 36 Float RC2 160mm boost

Headset: Hope 1.5" - 1 - 1/8"

Stem: Hope AM 35mm

Bar: Hope carbon 780mm

Grips: Hope Lock On

Brakes: Hope Tech 3 E4 180mm, 160mm rear on small

Shifter lever: SRAM XX1, 11-speed

Derailleur: SRAM XX1, 11-speed

Cranks: Hope fitted with 30t spider less ring

Cassette: Hope 10-44t, 11-speed

Pedals: Hope F20

Wheelset: 27.5 35w rims, Pro4 HB/110 Boost

Tyres: Maxxis High Roller II 3C EXO 2.4 (tubeless)

Saddle: SDG Duster MTB Ti alloy rails

Seatpost: RockShox Reverb 125mm small / 150mm medium, large, XL

Bottom bracket: Hope HB 30mm

didn't realise HOPE made this much stuff, and it's not even branded - they actually make it all Hope HB.160 spec overview

• Frame: HB.160 carbon
  • Headset: Hope 1.5" - 1 - 1/8"
  • Stem: Hope AM 35mm
  • Grips: Hope Lock On
  • Brakes: Hope Tech 3 E4 180mm, 160mm rear on small
  • Shifter lever: SRAM XX1, 11-speed
  • Derailleur: SRAM XX1, 11-speed
  • Cranks: Hope fitted with 30t spider less ring
  • Cassette: Hope 10-44t, 11-speed
  • Pedals: Hope F20
  • Wheelset: 27.5 35w rims, Pro4 HB/110 Boost
  • Saddle: SDG Duster MTB Ti alloy rails
  • Bottom bracket: Hope HB 30mm

All the above comes to GBP 1,800 off CRC. 

Add in the suspension at GBP 1,250 (jensonUSA pricing at RRP) then tyres for another GBP 100, bars for GBP 100 and then finishing kit for another GBP 100 or so and all of a sudden you're at GBP 3,350 

Add in the Reverb for another GBP300 and the lever upgrade kit for GBP 80 and you're at GBP 3,730

Yeah, that's retail, but it's also retail at a company that discounts quite heavily against RRP, and HOPE probably won't be getting bulk discounts on parts kits as they're only looking at making 500 bikes a year. 

Is it so inconceivable that they are charging GBP 4,000 for the frame, when that amount of work at that wage level and that level of workmanship is in place?

IMO you cannot compare against the normal bike makers. A far more relevant comparison would be UNNO bikes... 

There is a trend in the market generally. People are looking for products not made in china! I picked this up a few years ago. Most of our products come from europe (alot of our stock) and sort after, south america and australia. We keep a small line of chinese stuff to satisfy everyone. Maybe not that small, but there is a balance.

Then today I hear on the radio that europe has experienced a growth in trade.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

All the above comes to GBP 1,800 off CRC. 

Add in the suspension at GBP 1,250 (jensonUSA pricing at RRP) then tyres for another GBP 100, bars for GBP 100 and then finishing kit for another GBP 100 or so and all of a sudden you're at GBP 3,350 

Add in the Reverb for another GBP300 and the lever upgrade kit for GBP 80 and you're at GBP 3,730

Yeah, that's retail, but it's also retail at a company that discounts quite heavily against RRP, and HOPE probably won't be getting bulk discounts on parts kits as they're only looking at making 500 bikes a year. 

Is it so inconceivable that they are charging GBP 4,000 for the frame, when that amount of work at that wage level and that level of workmanship is in place?

IMO you cannot compare against the normal bike makers. A far more relevant comparison would be UNNO bikes... 

the pricing can get more competetive with mechanization. if you've got a CNC machine doing a lot of the work then the wages don't factor in as much. BUT i think the point is well made in the making of video, they would never do this bike for the money. It's almost more of a vanity project/team build but behind the lines i think an excuse to get in some new skills going forward.

The HB.160 is a halo bike. The idea was to showcase that Hope is able to build an entire bike completely in-house. Very few, if any, other manufacturers can claim to be able to build virtually an entire bike out of their own parts, manufactured in their own factory. 

If Hope made tyres, they could've almost made an entire Hope specced bike.