I went shopping - PART 2

AndreZA

I went to Linden cycles again yesterday afternoon to check out there 2007 bikes. Now I'm a bit confused regarding my choice.

This is the choices. Which will be a better buy?

2006 GT Avalanche 1.0

Frame: Alu

Fork: Rockshox J3 100mm with lockout

Group: Deore shifters, LX front derailleur, LX rear derailleur

Brakes: Hayes Sole Hydraulic<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Pedals: Shimano SPD

Price: R5620

It is clear coated brushed aluhttp://www.gtbicycles.com/sa/uploads/catalog/lg_9.10.G6_INTL_AVALNCH10_DSC_BILL.jpg 

2007 GT Avalanche 1.0

Fork: Suntour 80mm with lockout

Group: Deore shifters, Deore front derailleur, XT rear derailleur

Brakes: Avid rim brakes

Pedals: plastic platform

Price: R4900

it is painted silver

http://www.gtbicycles.com/sa/uploads/catalog/lg_26.40.G7_INTL_AVLNCH1_SIL.jpg

2007 Giant Alias

Fork: Rockshox Dart 80mm with lockout

Group: SRAM 7 shifters, Deore front derailleur, SRAM 7 rear derailleur

Brakes: Hayes Sole Hydraulic

Pedals: plastic platform

Price: R5400

(it is in the Matte Clay grey colour)

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/images/_upload_au/bikes/models/zooms/2007/mod_alias.jpg

Mampara2006-10-11 04:37:21

Giant Giant Giant!! The Dart is the upgrade on the J3. The Sram7 kicks LX butt! And the brakes are good enough. Also the Alias got the same geometry than the XTC range. For me this would have been a no brainer.

Good luck!

Mampara,

Do you currently use cleats ? If you do, then adding spd's to both 2007 models will cost you approx R 350 (PDM 520's)

Suntour Fork - Rubbish & cheap !!

Rockshox J3 - cheapish fork but still reasonable

Rockshox Dart - no idea

go to mtbreview.com and look at the fork reviews.

Deore derailleurs won't last, minimum quality is their LX version, obviously XT is better.

Personally, I'd rather buy the 2006 GT !!

Why do you choose the GT? 1.The Dart is a better fork thatn the J3. 2.The Sram 7 is better than LX....way better!! 3. They've got the same brakes. 4.With Spd's the Giant should only cost you about R50 bucks more. 5.The GT avalanche's geometry is no match to the giants. I rode both...

GIANT.........!!
Mud Dee2006-10-11 02:44:51

Cant agree with you there on Deore Thug. The Trans Africa guys recommend Deore for its durability. I have both Deore and LX and i prefer the Deore

Tough choice, i like the GT (2006 not 2007) but the reviews on the SRAM are excellent. Apart from that and the shock (i dont know much about the Dart) there seems no diff between them

scotty2006-10-11 03:09:30

Thug, I agree with scotty.  My Deore stuff is lasting, much better than some friends XT stuff.

Mampara, the GT 2006 model would be my choice.

I can't find a review on the Dart fork.

If as Mud Dee says it is an upgrade on the J3 then on an overall basis, go for the Giant.

To me X7 & LX are pretty comparable.

scotty.... on my first mtb, I had deore blades, didn't last long at all........but that's just my personal experience.

The Dart is the 2007 replacement of the J3. You dont get the J3 anymore. I dont think there is big differance otherwise. I've got X7 on my racing MTB. Been using it for two years now with no problems whatsoever. They work in the most adverse conditions. On my other giant I've got LX. The LX works nice but the shifting isnt as direct as the X7 and when it gets muddy...It does not work..

Mud Dee - Did you notice I said 'swing it for me'? I have X7 on my one bike and XT on the other so I do know how good SRAM stuff is. I will take 3 sets of your 50ZA Rond Spd's!

Mampara - Read everything they write, go and ride the bikes but at the end of the day ride what you like! If you don't like it you'll never be happy doesn't matter what all the experts say!

Scotty - I agree with you that there is nothing wrong with Deore depending what you do with it! Riding Deore cranks on both my MTB's and I don't seem to be doing to bad.

As you mention BB depends what you do. Of course i dont do half the MTB riding you do nor 3/4 the stuff you do on your MTBLOL

Big Ben I said The Giant would work you out about R50 bucks more than the Gt if you equip it with SPD's. The SPD's doesnt cost R50...

But your right the best bike is the one that appeals the most to you....So mampara hopefully they allow you to ride the bikes!!