1 x 11: Choosing the right ratios

Mintman

Hi Guys,

I have a 32T chainring with 11-46 cassette on my softtail 26er (1x11 Shimano XT).

I'm trying to decide between the exact same setup on my 29er hardtail vs the following:

30T with 11-42 cassette (also XT).

Bottom line:

I do a lot of climbing and I'm not an avid downhill rider. I feel the 32T with an 11-42 cassette might be tough on the steep hills. And the best priced upgrade kits I'm seeing on the hub are with the 11-42 cassette.

Do you think the 30T option could be a good one (i.e. comparable to 32T with 11-46 cassette)?

Thanks for your help

There's an app on the Google Play Store (might be on the iCrap store as well) that works out your gear ratios super accurately so that you can compare the ratio differences between different setups.

I recently (read last "Sunday") fitted my 1x11 upgrade parts to my Scott Spark, which includes a 32T RaceFace N/W chainring and Shimano XT M8000 11-42 cassette, and while the gear ratio in the granny gear is already a lot better than it was on my 3x9 setup (22 chainring 32 cassette), I'm still going to fit my AbsoluteBlack 30T oval chainring to get the ratio down even further, seeing as I struggle a lot on the uphills.

Coming from 26 to 29, I'd say that you should definitely endeavor to get a smaller chainring. While the rolling resistance on the 29" is arguably lower that that of the 26", the larger wheel will require a little more effort to turn in the same gear ratios that you had on the 26". Check out Rapide's website. They've got some lekker 30T chainrings going there. Depending on your BCD I might also recommend getting an oval chainring if ease of climbing is your main focus. I have not tried my oval just yet, but from what I understand it really shines in the climbs.

Bikegearcalculator on the App Store is a great little app.

You can use this to work out what you need to get the same overall ratio on the 29er as currently on the 26er.

Some basic calcs show :

post-110956-0-04229600-1504626935_thumb.jpg

The major unknown is YOUR LEGS ....

IF you were running out of juice on steep climbs, then consider ... 30 - 46.

If you need some more granny ... 32 - 50

on the other end of the scale, if you feel you the current setup has "too much granny" ... then a 32 - 46 might be the way to go.

A completely different aspect to consider - a 26'' spins up much easier than a 29'' .... so even at the same gearing you may "feel" that you need to kick harder to get going.  Once going it makes no difference though.

I would go for a 32 elliptical front and 11-46 rear, and then spend some time training on hills. A 30 front will help you on the hills, but you will definitely be spinning out on the long downhills.

I am not a fan of 50+ rear setups.

Go for the 30T. 

My current setup on my HT: 30T Rapidé with an 11-42 Sunrace cassette. 

You cannot understand how grateful I am for the 30T on steep climbs, heck on the Hillcrest climb to the towers it is greatly appreciated.

And far for going downhill, I never had problems spinning out, and I like to bomb down on the descents. 

The only downside is when I go road riding, on some flats or steep downhills I spin out at around 38kph. But hey, no problems on the trails.

EDIT: I roughly climb about 8,000m each month.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

I'm not super fit and I carry a little belly fat and I can manage almost any climb on my 29r with a 30T up front and a 11-46 on the rear.

Tony at what speed do you "spin out" ?

Go for the 30T. 

My current setup on my HT: 30T Rapidé with an 11-42 Sunrace cassette. 

You cannot understand how grateful I am for the 30T on steep climbs, heck on the Hillcrest climb to the towers it is greatly appreciated.

And far for going downhill, I never had problems spinning out, and I like to bomb on the descents. 

The only downside is when I go road riding, on some flats or steep downhills I spin out at around 38kph. But hey, no problems on the trails.

Thanks Andrew.

so easy enough to size for the trails.  But if you want to do any distances on road you may well spin out ....

Would a 32 in front and a slightly larger rear cogg (for the climbing) not be better - IF road distances are part of the riders profile ?

Thus possibly a 32 and 11-46 ?  (or 11-48, depending on the riders leggs ...)

Thanks Andrew.

so easy enough to size for the trails.  But if you want to do any distances on road you may well spin out ....

Would a 32 in front and a slightly larger rear cogg (for the climbing) not be better - IF road distances are part of the riders profile ?

Thus possibly a 32 and 11-46 ?  (or 11-48, depending on the riders leggs ...)

Possibly yes, but let's be honest. Would you be able to keep an average speed of 38kph on an MTB on the tar? I know I won't, that why the spinning out does not bother me that much.

Don't know what the @OP thinks about oval chainrings? Perhaps a 32T oval? Haven't used one, so cannot comment on the riding experience. If I am not mistaken, there is a bit of play on the RD when using an oval chainring (please correct me if I wrong) and not sure how good this will be in the long run.

Possibly yes, but let's be honest. Would you be able to keep an average speed of 38kph on an MTB on the tar? I know I won't, that why the spinning out does not bother me that much.

Don't know what the @OP thinks about oval chainrings? Perhaps a 32T oval? Haven't used one, so cannot comment on the riding experience. If I am not mistaken, there is a bit of play on the RD when using an oval chainring (please correct me if I wrong) and not sure how good this will be in the long run.

The oval chain rings sound interesting. I've never tried one. But a big factor for me is sticking to items typically sold together in a kit etc for a better price.

Otherwise I would be keen to try an oval ring and the 11-46 sunrace cassette. The ratios on that cassette just make so much more sense to me.