2018 Trek Fuel EX

Christofison

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guides are not bad at all indeed,

Hows this for a Pro?

http://bansheebikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/PhantomAngleRaw.jpg?x45452

Just doesnt do it for me? Also no water bottle cage. 

So stoked. Coming from a 27.5, 100mm hardtail, you can imagine my excitement. 

Worst thing is I'm going to have to wait until next weekend to ride  :(

CONGRATS

now get it out here ...

post-110956-0-51107900-1510328593_thumb.jpg

and here ...

post-110956-0-36097000-1510328642_thumb.jpg

ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!

Ok I went to The gear Change and saw that Fuel EX 9.8 my word what a beaut.

Ok i need to decide on my next trail bike. I have looked at a lot incl Tallboy/hightower, Tranny Smuggler, Stumpy, and even the IBIS Ripley. I have decided on the following

Fuel EX 9.8 vs Camber Expert Carbon Vs YT Jeffsy VS BMC Speedfox

Pros v Cons

Trek EX Pro: everything - Con : Pricey at R70k and Guide Brakes (heard they kuk?)

Naah, guides are great. Put that as a pro. Decent platform, but a mate of mine has problems with the reaktiv calving in his, but I reckon it should be sorted by now in the newer models.

Camber: Pro :- Swat, Carbon Rims, - Con : very Pricey at R80k, no Boost if thats a con

I Don't think not having boost is a con.

Camber is way underrated. My second choice on your list.

YT Jeffsey Pro - Price is great at R55k - Con: Not much of a looker and no space for water bottle

That value though. This is my pick from your crop.

BMC Pro - Love that trailsync story and clean lines - Con: Worried about after market support and dropper is limited Price on website R68k

Local support has always been a mess. Legitimate reason for concern.I had a 26er fourstroke. Was an amazing bike.

Ok I went to The gear Change and saw that Fuel EX 9.8 my word what a beaut.

Ok i need to decide on my next trail bike. I have looked at a lot incl Tallboy/hightower, Tranny Smuggler, Stumpy, and even the IBIS Ripley. I have decided on the following

Fuel EX 9.8 vs Camber Expert Carbon Vs YT Jeffsy VS BMC Speedfox

Pros v Cons

Trek EX Pro: everything - Con : Pricey at R70k and Guide Brakes (heard they kuk?)

Camber: Pro :- Swat, Carbon Rims, - Con : very Pricey at R80k, no Boost if thats a con

YT Jeffsey Pro - Price is great at R55k - Con: Not much of a looker and no space for water bottle

BMC Pro - Love that trailsync story and clean lines - Con: Worried about after market support and dropper is limited Price on website R68k

I'm really loving my new Guide brakes compared to the SLX on my previous bike. Guides had a problem previously where the seals would swell in hot conditions causing the brake to bind. This seems to be resolved on new 2018 bikes.

If the 2018 9.8 is a bit pricey, the 2017 9.8 is on special. Same frame but just a shimano 2x11 spec instead of Eagle.

You pretty much summed it for the Camber & Jeffsy.

The Trailfox is a lekker bike, but I ride in the full open setting 95% of the time so that trailsync wouldn't be an option for me. You often need to sit and peddle through bumpy stuff and the bike needs to be plush. Sometimes you might want to drop your saddle for a technical climb and have your shock in the medium position. The previous Speedfox was awesome but that also wasn't boost.

A large percentage of guys who have tested the Riley LS have been underwhelmed. Word is that there is just something not right with the feel of the bike, even though the geo numbers look good.

The new Smuggler is likely going to be awesome, though you seem to be looking for something carbon.

I'm really loving my new Guide brakes compared to the SLX on my previous bike. Guides had a problem previously where the seals would swell in hot conditions causing the brake to bind. This seems to be resolved on new 2018 bikes.

If the 2018 9.8 is a bit pricey, the 2017 9.8 is on special. Same frame but just a shimano 2x11 spec instead of Eagle.

You pretty much summed it for the Camber & Jeffsy.

The Trailfox is a lekker bike, but I ride in the full open setting 95% of the time so that trailsync wouldn't be an option for me. You often need to sit and peddle through bumpy stuff and the bike needs to be plush. Sometimes you might want to drop your saddle for a technical climb and have your shock in the medium position. The previous Speedfox was awesome but that also wasn't boost.

A large percentage of guys who have tested the Riley LS have been underwhelmed. Word is that there is just something not right with the feel of the bike, even though the geo numbers look good.

The new Smuggler is likely going to be awesome, though you seem to be looking for something carbon.

Personally I don't think that bike is pricey. The 9.8 I mean. I have been comparing bikes and really for what you get (and also ride quality) the price is ridiculously good. Also to be honest the Best Bikes guys are quite nice!!!

Ok after much debate and endless analysis i have pulled the trigger on a Fuel EX .

Getting my baby tomorrow cannot wait.

Ok after much debate and endless analysis i have pulled the trigger on a Fuel EX .

Getting my baby tomorrow cannot wait.

The 2018 Fuel EX 9.8 Eagle? You will not be disappointed.

post-9483-0-17999100-1510825763_thumb.jpgpost-9483-0-59036500-1510825773_thumb.jpgAwesome, dont forget the pics!!

Took her out this am.  Went on a very technical , rocky route, she ate up the rocks like smarties.  So plush, so balanced, the bike blew me away.  Climbs effortlessly and descends like its on air.  The big 2.4 tyres and wide rims add to the overall planted plush feel.  Such a solid , burly machine. Its truly a technical masterpiece.  And yes i will cut the stem down as was first ride i was playing with spacers.  

Took her out this am.  Went on a very technical , rocky route, she ate up the rocks like smarties.  So plush, so balanced, the bike blew me away.  Climbs effortlessly and descends like its on air.  The big 2.4 tyres and wide rims add to the overall planted plush feel.  Such a solid , burly machine. Its truly a technical masterpiece.  And yes i will cut the stem down as was first ride i was playing with spacers.  

So nice! Congrats!

Can't wait to take my EX5 out for it's maiden ride this weekend (not going to include the test ride I did on it at Meerendal as a proper ride).

So managed to fit in a short, maiden ride on Sunday. Man was I blown away. It was definitely not as quick on long uphill slogs as my old 100mm hardtail, but on rooty, rocky singletracks climbs, it felt just as quick. That rear suspension just ate up everything in its path. It had so much traction and gave so much plushness to the ride.

On the downhills, I was smiling from ear to ear, but also a bit terrified. The bike is so quick, but so stable and forgiving. I love this bike!

post-62386-0-83903000-1511172850_thumb.jpg

So managed to fit in a short, maiden ride on Sunday. Man was I blown away. It was definitely not as quick on long uphill slogs as my old 100mm hardtail, but on rooty, rocky singletracks climbs, it felt just as quick. That rear suspension just ate up everything in its path. It had so much traction and gave so much plushness to the ride.

On the downhills, I was smiling from ear to ear, but also a bit terrified. The bike is so quick, but so stable and forgiving. I love this bike!

This sounds exactly like my first impressions, even though I was coming from a 100mm full-sus and not a hardtail like yourself. What a bike.

YES !!

I LOVE my EX5 !!!!!!!!!!!

But we dont get the ex7 here

There are actually some 2018 ex7's in ZA. Cyclepro in PE has them. 

I have brand new trek fuel ex9.8 2017 . I have upgraded the fork to a mrp ribbon 140mm and put a single chain ring on & hope rotors otherwise stock standard . Everything is still brand new and unregistered and not turned a pedal.

Long story . Send me a pm if interested. Will advertise later .

Archived