Tubeless Ready rim valve hole erosion

wernerhp

So this thing happened around the valve hole on both Shimano Deore XT tubeless ready rims on one of my bikes. It seems there was erosion around the valve hole leaving a bigger hole.

I discovered this while stripping and cleaning my wheels and rims after I kept getting random flats for no reason. There was quite a build up of sealant that used to plug the hole.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

post-12543-0-14538800-1504900815_thumb.jpg

Edited by wernerhp

Simple fix for that would be to put on tubeless tape to close up those erosion holes as you would with any other tubeless compatible rim.

I like to use one layer of Gorilla tape for firmness on the bottom with a layer or two of yellow tubeless tape on top of that as I find it seals better.

Not much else you can do.

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

I also has that on a Mavic wheelset. I only use stans....

I "fixed" mine with a bit of gorilla tape, but you can't really fix it.

I've had the exact same thing happen on older XT rims. Strange that it's so common in those. Maybe it's because rim tape isn't required so there is more contact from the valve and more exposure to the sealant.

Can try epoxy and Gorilla tape can buy gorilla at Builders (not Duct tape)

close the hole sand with fine sandpaper Drill new hole clean with thinners apply tape  :clap:

Edited by B A Z A

Thanks for everyone's responses. I ended up using Pratley Steel Quickset to fill the hole and the eroded area around the hole and then stuck some duct tape over it. I use Stan's sealant.

BAZA mentioned Gorilla tape instead of duct tape. How so?

Edited by wernerhp

Thanks for everyone's responses. I ended up using Pratley Steel Quickset to fill the hole and the eroded area around the hole and then stuck some duct tape over it. I use Stan's sealant.

Just keep an eye on the pratley it doesn't really hold well on aluminium and the sealant tends to erode it

Same thing just Gorrila tape is amazing duct tape and so much cheaper than real rim tape, R150 for a big roll at builders warehouse.

What exactly causes this, must be a shimano issue because my stans flow hubs haven't had any issue with stans fluid and they are donkeys years old, with shimano this crops up on new rims within months?

Wouldn't stainless steel valves as advised in a reply above increase not decrease sacrificial damage?

Stans? ? The plot thickens [emoji12]

I have had the same problem on my Easton EA90RT's. I have never run them tubeless yet after not getting a puncture for over a year (lucky) I decided to change tyres. In that time the valve hole had eroded and there was some crystallization around the damaged area and the base of the valve.

I cleaned the build up off with some Q20, a sponge and some elbow grease. After the damaged area was clean I applied some insulation tape over the hole and cut a small x in the tape to pass through the valve, to act as a buffer between the tube and eroded aluminium. 

I have not had any issues with the wheels since and will check my wheels again soon to see if my patch job has worked!     

Gorilla is stronger and air tight Duct tape thinner and it can rip with air pressure around spoke holes