[Event] Meals On Wheels Cycle Race

Face Plant

I try to do this race whenever I am free, but unfortunately that hasn't been the case for some time now. I am off to Mount Amanzi for a week, mostly to give my VERY dedicated and hard-working wife a bit of a well deserved break. She is a housewife which takes her work very seriously, e.g. our ENTIRE house gets cleaned each and every day, weekends included. When I get home there's always a meal prepared. And also to celebrate her 51st birthday, and my 35 years long service at Sasol. Coincidentally my wife's birthday and my work appointment anniversary falls on the same date.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my rant about this event.

Just tried to enter as a tandem, but CycleEvents wants to charge me R250 per rider, so R500 in total, when a single entry is R230.

I know from last year they charged R250 for a tandem, so obviously an error with CycleEvents.

Too late to contact anyone, lesson learnt for leaving it to the last minute to enter.

Try to enter on race day which is allowed. You may have to pay the R35 CSA fee but it's less than double the entry fee.

Expected wind and got wind, once again a well organized and challenging race with excellent host venue, R50 buys you a boerrie roll, 2 pancakes and cold drink. [emoji106]

Always a pleasure running into you at these events my friend!

I have never been able to do this race.

This year again I will miss it, man down with flu  :thumbdown:

Also can't do it - financial year end (stock takes). Still at work now (15:30).

• 11 months later...

2019 and another well organized, value for money race, which this year included a trail run, held for a good cause with added bonus of wind jacket included in the entry fee and instead of the usual medals they had miniature trophies in shape of cyclist on bike . Took it easy as I was with a group that included novices doing their first long distance so stopped at the WP's which were well stocked with boiled potatoes, bananas, jelly babies, coke and water, picked up some wind coming back but not as bad as previous years.

Plenty to eat and drink at the finish, proper toilet facilities with showers.  :thumbup:

I've supported this race for a number of years, even if I bleed like mad every year. Nice local, low key vibe.  

The wind was kinder this year, especially at the start, but I bled again, hard racing - those youngers!!!

A pity that TRAPNET was on the same day.

Will be back in 2020.

I've supported this race for a number of years, even if I bleed like mad every year. Nice local, low key vibe.  

The wind was kinder this year, especially at the start, but I bled again, hard racing - those youngers!!!

A pity that TRAPNET was on the same day.

Will be back in 2020.

Agreed.  I thought the Trapnet would reduce their numbers, but Meals was well supported :)

I just wish the people manning the water points would have gotten out of their chairs, but I guess if thats my biggest issue then it was a great day all in all. 

My second time and for sure the wind was kinder, enjoy 'racing' on my local roads.

Starting an hour late irritated a bit as I'd committed to help family at lunchtime but I got over it as did they luckily [emoji41]