200 Miles to Midmar 2018

Jigghead

So the week yielded only 8 miles. Having started out with sinus issue, I managed to fit in a cheeky two midweek, I just couldn’t get it right in between meetings and an office party on Friday afternoon.

Yesterday was my daughter’s 9th birthday party with today being the actual birthday, so no big swims with the exception of yesterday’s 4 miler. I was going to try for four this morning but wasn’t sure I’d be back from the pool before she woke up, so thought better of it.

The month is going to come up a little short of the 50 mile target, most likely only 41, but I’m still on track for the 200 mile target. Glenys Thomas’s miles are done. Thank you for your support.

7ddd7453c96318b96f45bef6f8099b65.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Hubbers, it's been a crazy month. I managed to bang in less miles than hoped for but all told it was successful. The count is as follows:

39 miles

30,216 strokes

Over 20 hours in the water 

2,576 laps in the pool

Tonight's miles saw me onto the first of the miles sponsored by Hubbers, thank you gents, it's really appreciated. I split this evening swim between the two donors. The first was quite quick with the second a little slower.

Dumbass thing I did was pay too much attention to the insanely svelte and beautiful lass in the lane next to me tonight. I may have forgotten to start my watch for the second mile, I estimate that is was around 3-5 laps before I realised this. So I had to start again, those don't count. With that, here they are:

post-19851-0-83537000-1509478328_thumb.jpg

On a more serious note, although I have raised almost R6,000 towards my R20,000 target, I'm going to run out of donors to swim for around next weekWednesday or so. Whilst I will continue to swim, it does make my task a little harder - fundraising wise. Please assist where possible, R100 is all it take to get your personalised mile. You can go HERE in order to donate, you can do EFT, Credit Card, or SnapScan. 

Please also remember where these funds go, CHOC, check out my signature for details on this incredible charity and the amazing work they do.

I'm beginning to think that the biggest hurdle to achieving my 200 mile target this year will be finding the time as opposed to actually getting my body in on the act. I'm going to need to be far more diligent here as I make more of a concerted effort to arrange my time more effectively between work and of course my family's needs to have me around.

I need to average two miles a day during November in order to be on track come the halfway mark in my journey. As I said, I'm beginning to think that time will be my enemy on this one.

With that, @Grantc, you got six of your miles in between last night's two and this morning's 4. Tomorrow sees me take on the Cradle Moon Swim Challenge 1 3km swim. for those of you following my 100 Mile to Midmar 2017, this is the same swim I was pulled out of the water at last year having been kicked in the throat, so there's unfinished business. You'll notice last night's swim was a little longer, this was to compensate for the shorter than 2 mile swim tomorrow.

My eight year old daughter and her friend tried a bit of fundraising by selling some of their "crafts" the other day and managed to raise R50 for me. In light of this, I'll be doing the 1km swim tomorrow as well. This will be for the two girls.

You can all also get me to cover a mile for you, just go HERE HERE HERE

Only R100 gets your name in lights, don't be shy, this is for an extremely worthy charity. Check out the link on my signature for the link to their site.

post-19851-0-98181900-1509809120_thumb.png post-19851-0-16657700-1509809132_thumb.png

Edited by Jigghead

Here we go peeps, today's open water swims. @GrantC, the first swim is your final two miles. Thank you so much for you support, once again. 

The weather today was hot to say the least but the water conditions couldn't have been better. I was pretty happy with both swims, although I was hoping for a slightly quicker time in the second event. All told though, a good start to the open water season for me. Keep an eye out as I head towards the midway mark in my journey.

post-19851-0-72313800-1509899520_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jigghead

Another two today and I’ve hit 50 miles. I’m a way behind on the totals so it’s back in the pool tonight for two more...

58461eb992a2a0a266725f2d01d719a1.jpg

Two little miles in open water today. The feeling of being totally alone in the water is quite strange and a little scary to begin with but not all together terrible.

Water was like glass for the first half of mile #2 but got choppy on he return leg. All in all though, very happy with the additional time in the open water!

Cradle Moon has well marked out and visible buoys with three routes, 500m, 1,000m, and 1.5km. I only found out one can do this on any weekend a couple of days ago!

8139cf81043d80565b0337c8640f9f1c.jpg

d4ec3a9756821b91bed0a3f8bcf2df37.jpg

Edited by Jigghead

Today was a 10km(6 miles) swimming day and now I’m a little sore. A 10km day has been a target for a bit so I’m glad I’ve pulled it off. They were split up between 5 swims/workouts due to the need to cater for separate donors.

I anticipate running out of sponsored miles before the end of next weekend, so please don’t be shy and visit https://kydrin.co.za/goals/View/223

Only R100 will get your name in lights, right here!!! Whilst more would be very welcome, I’m really just appealing to everyone for R100 each, I know the time of year sucks, but Midmar still refuses to change dates, so we’re stuck with the festive season!

All proceeds go to CHOC. You can check them out on www.choc.org.za I’m sure you’ll agree they’re super worthy recipients of your hard earned ZAR’s

c8aa20921c6da549b54ab9e728debb6e.jpg

That’s over 3hrs in the pool and 402 laps.

Well Jigg, donation made.i expect mine done at a good pace :)

Awesome, thank you. I don’t usually take any type of nutrition during training swims. In light of your request however, I may need to do so.

Your support is greatly appreciated, high speed miles coming up.

Edited by Jigghead

how's the swimming going jigghead?

Last week it was 14hr days every day at the office and precious little time to do anything else. With 94.7 on Sunday I knew I was going to be away from home the whole day(with all the comfort and technical stops, it took us over 7hrs to push/pull Layla around the route) so it was a long day out.

This week looks like it may also be a busy one, but I’m going to need to make a plan somehow. I’m quite behind on my miles, but still sure I’ll get them in. Keep watching.

Thanks for the interest.

My first swim for a bit. Last week was just crazy and I didn’t manage to get any in, but I’m back and the miles will begin, once again...

I need to get quite a few in, I’m pretty sure December will wind down a. It work wise which should allow for 2-3 miles a day during the week and 4-6 on the weekends.

Hopefully this will put me ahead of the curve coming into January.

93a495827dee3f9185844217bfe33c32.jpg

Edited by Jigghead

This week couldn't have gone worse. Another busy week at work and then whilst tucking my shirt in, I somehow managed to screw the job up properly and ended up severing the tendon on my little finger. This caused what is known as mallet finger.

It was so nondescript that I didn't notice until I was asked what was up with my finger whilst having a cup of coffee. Didn't even feel it. Anyhow, off to the doctor who tried to fix the "dislocation" until she realised it was all in place. A referral to an orthopaedic surgeon provided the correct diagnosis though.

The choice was a split, which he said tends to get grimy, and should it slip off, would start the whole healing process all over again. With my need to get some serious hours in in the pool, I asked what the alternative was. He suggested a quick surgical procedure under conscious sedation where he'd put a pin into the finger to straighten it. This would stay in for 8 weeks but would allow swimming a week after the surgery. So that was the week.

I have my follow up on Thursday and will most certainly hit the pool no later than Friday. Apart from being a stupid injury, it has put yet another dent in my swimming. I am still certain I'll make the 200 miles, but I'm under more and more pressure to do so.

Another disappointment here is that I was to swim The Cradle Moon Challenge tomorrow and it was to be my older daughter's 1st open water swim. She's a little nervous and I was to swim the 400m with her just to ensure she was confident, she's not keen to do it now, so it's a double disappointment. Her first will now have to wait for January, so a bit of an unhappy swimming family this weekend.

Watch this space though, my resolve is still strong and I am more determined than ever to make this happen. Keep an eye out and hold thumbs for me please.

Edited by Jigghead