[Event] Chas Everitt Around The Pot - Overberg 100 Miler

Emmie

Decided to ride the event on my gravel bike and was not let down - this is a must for anyone wanting to try gravel riding. (The last 10km was a little off with some technical stuff which could’ve been walked, but the other 150km were pure awesome!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode because I said I would and because I had paid for accommodation and because I am an addict even though I had the flu which ripped the guts out of my training 3 weeks back.

I realised after 4 hours that this was my longest ride since the amarider 100 and i still had 4 hours to go.

In my mind I bought and then sold a gravel bike three times over depending on the terrain but on balance would have liked to have one at my disposal.

I did suffer though, and definitely will be back. Fantastic refreshment stations. Finished 66th out of 116 solo men so probably one standard deviation to the slower side of the bell curve which is fine by me.

The big question is.... do i need a gravel bike? I'm leaning towards yes.

Rode because I said I would and because I had paid for accommodation and because I am an addict even though I had the flu which ripped the guts out of my training 3 weeks back.

I realised after 4 hours that this was my longest ride since the amarider 100 and i still had 4 hours to go.

In my mind I bought and then sold a gravel bike three times over depending on the terrain but on balance would have liked to have one at my disposal.

I did suffer though, and definitely will be back. Fantastic refreshment stations. Finished 66th out of 116 solo men so probably one standard deviation to the slower side of the bell curve which is fine by me.

The big question is.... do i need a gravel bike? I'm leaning towards yes.

There are a couple of events worth investing in a gravel bike for.

I came out of saturday even thinking about doing TB on my gravel bike - i was a little high on gravel-awesomeness though ....

Any Race-Reports on the weekend's race?? Mr. Hub how did it go with the Gravel Grinder?

My Race: I punctured badly 20km in when I hit a very sharp rock hidden by the mist and riders in the group. Watched my friends wave while they rode passed in the following bunch. Managed to inflate it just enough to crawl to the first water point. Got things fixed there. After smashing back some jelly babies, I time trialled like a madman in an attempt to catch my friends. As I got to the pont, they waved at me from halfway across the river  :cursing:  I devoured the best roosterkoek of my life and jumped on the next pont. Continued playing catch up into the head wind. But in the end, the breakaway succeeded (comfortably) but damn it was fun trying.

A shout out to the Cape Multisport couple on the Cannondale tandem for offering me their wheel to follow near the end. I needed it!

The Race: Beautiful views, smooth roads, lekker vibe from riders and organisers. I'll be back!  :clap:

Any Race-Reports on the weekend's race?? Mr. Hub how did it go with the Gravel Grinder?

I'll get a race report together a little later. Between the mist and the lactic acid haze, I'm struggling to remember large parts of the race!

But I am not alone, Jumpertrax seem to have forgotten us too, and we don't even appear on the results anywhere :(  (At least Strava knows we were there!)

The Race: Beautiful views, smooth roads, lekker vibe from riders and organisers. I'll be back!  :clap:

+1 +1 +1  :thumbup:

But I am not alone, Jumpertrax seem to have forgotten us too, and we don't even appear on the results anywhere :(  (At least Strava knows we were there!)

Damn, so some of us are set to slide even further down the rankings  :lol:

Some of those that do appear seem to have had their pont break included while other riders had it correctly excluded, dramatically skewing some of the results.

Damn, so some of us are set to slide even further down the rankings  :lol:

Some of those that do appear seem to have had their pont break included while other riders had it correctly excluded, dramatically skewing some of the results.

We'll have to see. :P

Timing issues are a always a part of any event that grows. At least there is something this event can improve on. Everything else is almost perfect :D

We'll have to see. :P

Timing issues are a always a part of any event that grows. At least there is something this event can improve on. Everything else is almost perfect :D

Agree - well done to the organisers, will be back next year!

But the timing - eish... They added a half hour to my total time (including time spent at the pont) - not sure how jumpertrax did that math - but no worries, with strava who needs an official time anyway  :P

Agree - well done to the organisers, will be back next year!

But the timing - eish... They added a half hour to my total time (including time spent at the pont) - not sure how jumpertrax did that math - but no worries, with strava who needs an official time anyway  :P

It would be nice to know if we beat the Pure Savage lads though :P

We had an absolute ball on our gravel grinders. What an awesome day out!!

However, that last section alongside the N2 was not ideal for gravel bikes at all. A few people we spoke to on gravel bikes came short there. I think they need to rethink that short section a little.

Glad to hear that we are not the only ones who’s timing is off. Our Pont time (the full 45 minutes!) was included on the results.

Apart from the timing issues, what a great day :D will definitely be back!!!

It would be nice to know if we beat the Pure Savage lads though :P

They were on a recovery ride and finished in 5:43.18. 

Long day in Zone 2.

They were on a recovery ride and finished in 5:43.18. 

Long day in Zone 2.

I went for a recovery ride yesterday. With my son. In search of ice cream. And I was worried I wouldn't be able to make the 3.5kms home!

I broke several records in that race - highest average HR for 60 minutes, longest time sitting on the pointy end of my saddle (despite the comfy office chair, I can still feel that saddle), getting dropped and riding back on far too many times.

But, they found the results for The Crisis Syndicate:

post-275-0-62917800-1532352562_thumb.png

I went for a recovery ride yesterday. With my son. In search of ice cream. And I was worried I wouldn't be able to make the 3.5kms home!

I broke several records in that race - highest average HR for 60 minutes, longest time sitting on the pointy end of my saddle (despite the comfy office chair, I can still feel that saddle), getting dropped and riding back on far too many times.

But, they found the results for The Crisis Syndicate:

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2018-07-23_2.png

Congrats!! Lekker day out!! 

PS: dont tell in the bunch :P