Wet spots come and go on tubeless.

Johnny 55

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Johan

Sorry to read about your problems, have you consulted your local bike store with this? Put them in touch with us and we will gladly look into it for you and see what can be done.

With regards to your comment on not having a wider variety, which particular model do you feel is missing from the range? Current we offer 28 models in SA, thats more than any other tyre brand I know of, actually its close to the combination of most of the big brands...

DHF 29 WT!

:ph34r:

/hijack

Whilst here, when are the newer WT Maxxis in 27,5 arriving?

Really looking for 2,6 or so in Minion SS or DHF...   no body seems to know anything, really asked around a number of CT stores.   

As I understand it, Maxxis only soft launched those 2.6" around 6 months ago. The first ones actually seen in the wild were only at Interbike last month, so there's progress at least. Hopefully they'll ship soon so people can stop harassing me (and Andre) about them...

Take the tyres off, and clean with warm soapy water. Put them back on after they've dried and replace the stans. Will be as good as new.

The stans seems to separate into snot balls and an oily mixture. Clean it out every few months

I cleaned my tyre out with sunlight & toothbrush. Maybe I shouldnt have done that. Anyways im on my way now to purchase new ones. Ride on.

Think you just opened up all the old holes. Replace with Stans (shake well before filling) and spin regularly so they reseal. Don't think it's an issue at all.

Buying new tires will be an insurance I suppose (would worry about it myself), but after the race, replace old one's again and keep the new ones for future use.

Every MTB tyre I have used has done this to some extent or other - Maxxis, Bontrager, the Barzos I have at the moment - usually more on the rear wheel for some reason or other.

Never had a tyre fail because of this though. Sometimes they do it when a week old. 

I generally ignore it and keep topping up with sealant

No worries Johan. You must remember you are in an outlying area, and though we would obviously all like our Maxxis dealers to stock every model this simply isn't possible. There is no reason why they can't order it for you though ;)

Where would one find a Ardent & Ikon skillwall tyres in SA, or KZN to be more specific?

My Maxxis Ardent and Icons does this as well after about 6 months. About 60% tread left, and wet spots all over the place. It holds air and nothing happens when you ride, but the problem is the wet spots are sealant leaking out, and that means my sealant lasts half of the normal life, and I end up replacing the tire on 60% tread left

Replacing at 60% is costly, more so than topping up sealent a little more often? Perhaps i might need to try a different sealent as my tyre has plenty life left in it.

I have a similar thread regarding Contis elsewhere on the forum. Someone advised that, after putting the new sealant in, lie the wheel on its side. I put the sealant in, spun it, left it on one side overnight and turned it over the following day, for the day. Vast improvement in the air loss. instead of losing half the air overnight, I now only have to pump the tyre every few days.

Just my 5c

They leak like this due to all the tiny little thorns that penetrate the surface which are then removed while riding and leave a tiny hole behind. They then leak cause the sealant is not solidifying like it should!

I have used Stan's and Ryder/Fugit (same thing) and all have done what the OP has described.

At the price the Stan's should do way better but lately I am not impressed....best ever was Tyre Shield which I believe is imported from Aus or possibly made here under license. It was/is friggin expensive but it sealed off holes quickly and when I pulled the tyres and left the remaining sealant to dry, it all just pealed off to leave a neat clean surface ready to be re-installed and topped up again - no washing and scrubbing required.

Stan's does last longer, possibly due to it being thin lately and did not solidify in my wife's tyres for over 10 months! Instead it just turned a horrible brown colour and had a horrible off smell, but was very watery so I highly doubt it would do a good job at sealing anything.

I have heard that Bat seal sealant is good but I have yet to try it. A tad more expensive than Ryder/Fugit but way cheaper than Stan's!

Edited by Mr lee

Have had the same with various brands of tires. Am not referring to thorn related leaks or weepy sidewalls but rather a general dampness of the tire that's particularly obvious if you dont ride the bike for a week or so and leave tires a little dusty from the last ride.
Definitely related to age of the tire (over a year old) and I believe that it is related to degradation of the tire by the sealant. Read somewhere that its caused by ammonia in the sealant.
Some sealants are ammonia free but I have found the brands that have ammonia just work better at sealing punctures.

Don't think its an issue or will cause an issue so simply ignore it. Try wear the tires out before the latex does, i.e. ride more  :clap:

Where would one find a Ardent & Ikon skillwall tyres in SA, or KZN to be more specific?

I bought my Ardent skin wall tyres from Cycle Lab

Guys, this is normal.

So you rode through thorns and got holes in the tyre. OK so the Stans/Goop /whatever seals the holes while riding, but the hole is still there and the tyre flexes as you ride so it never "seals" properly.Then you park the bike and the sealant starts to settle at the bottom of the tyre and part of the suspension liquid seeps out of the holes. It is normal, accept it or buy new tyre and keep replacing them over and over and over.

The compressor I used blew water mixed oil into the tyre when I pumped it, thats when the sealant got contaminated and the sealant kept leaking out thru old thorn holes even after replacing the sealant the problem stil occured. Used garage pump and new sealant & problem is gone now.????????

Dammit I still wanted to chirp that when that happens it's cos you going so fast your tyres cry at night!