Shimano Resin Fin Brake pads (J02A)

Mintman

Contamination and glazing are not the same thing. Contamination is from an external source, usually oil - you can contaminate pads by touching the rotors with your fingers.

Glazing happens when you don't bed your pads in properly - a few hard stops from a decent speed will sort them out. Find a hill, get up to pace, then without locking your wheels bring your bike back down to a walking pace as fast as you can. Repeat until the increase in bite starts to level off.

That was very helpful. I did a few steep descents to bed the rear pads and it has made a big difference. I just hope they stay this way. I seem to remember doing this before and having the problem return after a bit.

That was very helpful. I did a few steep descents to bed the rear pads and it has made a big difference. I just hope they stay this way. I seem to remember doing this before and having the problem return after a bit.

If they're still contaminated soak the pads in thinners then set them on fire till they burn out. This gets rid of any absorbed oils.

In the past I have held the brake pads over a gas flame for a few seconds, let them cool and then sand off the top of the pad material very lightly. Rub down the disc with sandpaper as well, no issues...

Did all of the above with my Avids and had to wait until my bike broke and I got a new one with different brakes for that squeal to abate....!

Good to hear - this means that it was glazing and not contamination. And now you know how to fix it.

Next time you fit new pads, do this before you hit your first ride and you'll be good for the life of the pads.

• 3 weeks later...

If they're still contaminated soak the pads in thinners then set them on fire till they burn out. This gets rid of any absorbed oils.

Some may laugh but this actually has worked for me in the past, took a chance on 2 sets of pads that sounded like drunk virgin nuns at a stag party.

Well last night I had the oppurtunity to go down a proper long hill that enabled me to hold they back brake (which was still noisy after the pad replacement) down enough to build up heat but nod hard enough to actually stop me. Did that for most of the hill going down.  Brake is now nice and quiet.

Archived