Stages Generation 1 vs gen 2? What is the main difference?

Mongoose!

Stages Generation 1 vs gen 2?

Can anybody tell (in a nutshell without quoting DC rainmaker :ph34r: )  what is the difference between generation one and two?

Road crank – thus waterproof  / mud will not be an issue

Gen 1

Battery door breaks.  Water issues.

No product support anymore.  If it breaks it's gone.

Apart from that not much

Gen 2 is a bit thinner.

thinness can be an issue as I want to put it on my Merida Reacto - rear brake is at bottom bracket

with the part of the brake that holds the cable quit close to crank - (where the "electronic plastic box" sit from stages.

post-7189-0-84035900-1509614191_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mongoose!

thinness can be an issue as I want to put it on my Merida Reacto - rear brake is at bottom bracket

with the part of the brake that holds the cable quit close to crank - (where the "electronic plastic box" sit from stages.

Then the Gen2 will definitely be a better fit.

Price difference (old vs new)

And the enhanced waterproof battery door, as Spidey posted.

FYI I've got a Gen 2 door on my Gen 1 Stages and it does the trick. Also, includes a rubber ring around the battery door area.

Based on your picture, Mongoose, the Stages pm will be positioned about where that sensor or something is currently strapped.

Can't argue with anything that's been said.

Some very well priced Gen1's available from time to time making it very difficult to overlook as an option, if it's confirmed to be working 100%.

Gen 1- gives lots of problems

Gen 2- gives only little problems

What kind of problems?

You owned both? Own experience?

Latest revision of gen 1 has a green O-ring in batt cover, red before that and black was 1st one. You want the green / red ( ideal green / latest) as sealing issues were due mostly to type of rubber used apparently....FYI the blue / yellow O-rings are for gen 2.

https://support.stagescycling.com/en/support/solutions/articles/11000016888-which-battery-cover-or-o-ring-do-i-need-for-my-power-meter-

I remember reading that there was a revision of the battery cover as well and the newer ones are labelled B vs A on the older ones.. slight differences in the tabs...

That said, I went through the whole Gen 2 vs Gen 1 thing and ended up getting a hell of a bargain on one of the later gen 1’s - so I went with that....

As a safety measure I have used a little bit of waterproof grease to help the seal from drying out and preventing water getting in ( picked up from a Durian rider vid - white lightening clear grease )

I think you just have to be careful when opening and replacing the battery covers, If you are ham-handed you will def break the little tabs...from my research anyways, you can still get the gen 1 battery covers if need be.

I have been using it avg 10 hrs a week indoors and out, incl being washed and a couple of rides in the rain, for the last 4 months or so and it has not given one ounce of trouble...

Edited by Audible Anarchy

Anyone used Dash yet?

The early adopters have talked about minor software issues (lots of updates)

That's all I've heard

What kind of problems?

You owned both? Own experience?

Yes had both

1st generation replaced 3 times under warranty

2nd generation only had to be replaced once and still working but it's only beef a few months

Yes had both

1st generation replaced 3 times under warranty

2nd generation only had to be replaced once and still working but it's only beef a few months

That's rof.

I have Gen 1 (with the O ring from Gen 2) on my roadie and Gen 2 on my MTB

No issues at all.