25mm vs. 23mm road tyres any difference?

Brother Brett

Allright, so my riding buddy reckons the difference between 23mm and 25mm road tyres is barely tangible and cannot tell the difference in ride feel. I however, feel the difference between 23 and 25 is night and day and can be felt immediately. Frankly the 25mm provided such a smooth and welcome change,that if I could fit 28mm in my frame I would do just that.

So hub land, what are your thought and experiences?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An 8.6% increase in anything on A bike will definitely be felt.

If you can fit 28's do it , I've heard many people say there is no noteworthy increase in rolling resisitance

** I'm no scientist , just A dude who likes to ride bikes 

I believe in future 28mm width will become the norm for road bikes. One of my road bikes has 28 tyres on fitted to wider rim and really enjoy it.

My brother was telling me a while about how 25 is better than 23.I have to be financially prudent and don't dive into the next best thing. I'm still riding a 2x10 setup on my mtb when most folks are riding 1x setups. My road tyres were kla, and cwc had a special on 25, so it was not going to coat me more. Out of all my 'upgrades' I done, moving from 23 to 25 was probably the most noticeable and also the cheapest upgrade I done.I doubt my 2012 tarmac can fit a 28mm. There is hardly a gap between the tyre and frame.

28>26>25>23.

Currently have Gatorskin 25s and GP4000S II 25s. Want to upgrade to Spez Turbo 26 for some extra plush, but can't find them anywhere. My frame can't accommodate 28s  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I believe in future 28mm width will become the norm for road bikes. One of my road bikes has 28 tyres on fitted to wider rim and really enjoy it.

What do they ride at Paris Roubiax? 

Thanks guys, some interesting feedback. Also believe 28's will become a standard among road bike and empathise with oufy saying that the change from 23 to 25 is one of the best value for money 'upgrades'

28>26>25>23.

Currently have Gatorskin 25s and GP4000S II 25s. Want to upgrade to Spez Turbo 26 for some extra plush, but can't find them anywhere. My frame can't accommodate 28s :angry: :angry: :angry:

Don’t waste your time on those Spez 26 Turbos, hate them, lots of punctures, your GP4000s much better ????????

My frame seems to have plenty of clearance to go wider than my current 25s,however my brake calipers barely clear the tyre when opened up with the cam mechanism for wheel removal. Granted, they are still the calipers from the 9 speed Dura Ace groupsets from way back circa 1996, so I'm hoping the newer groupsets open wider, anybody have feedback on tyre clearances past the calipers?

What do they ride at Paris Roubiax?

Minimum 28 hey

Quickstep goes even with 32 or something ????????

Allright, so my riding buddy reckons the difference between 23mm and 25mm road tyres is barely tangible and cannot tell the difference in ride feel. I however, feel the difference between 23 and 25 is night and day and can be felt immediately. Frankly the 25mm provided such a smooth and welcome change,that if I could fit 28mm in my frame I would do just that.

So hub land, what are your thought and experiences?

Drop the tyre pressure with the 25 compared to the 23

Otherwise the difference will be hard to discern

E.g.

I'm at 68/69 kgs

Roll 6.5-7.0 bars depending on conditions

Drop the tyre pressure with the 25 compared to the 23

Otherwise the difference will be hard to discern

E.g.

I'm at 68/69 kgs

Roll 6.5-7.0 bars depending on conditions[/quote

Thanks Dale'

Forgot to mention that tyre pressure being key difference according to rider weight/ manufacteres recommended pressure. Furthermore some 25s aren't exactly 25mm and may be closer to 24 or 26.

I'm running Vredestein 25's on my road bike.

I'd had a blow out on a 23mm tyre so initially just replaced that one, and I can definitely understand why women say that size matters, i could feel the difference between the two  :P.

I was back at the bike shop within a couple days and swopped out the other tyre and have never looked back.

Archived