MTB Helmet advice

Looks like they re all settling down around the same price with the Catlike one hitting that number. Not sure what the Star wars styled Lazer one is priced at (if you can even get it here). The Giro isn't available here, can you get the Bell locally? 

I'm not 10% sure if the Bell is available locally but I'm sure I read somewhere that they would be bringing them in as the market for them is there.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rudy Project Protera 

So I just tried on one of these and it is pretty comfy but it is almost 3k!

The straps can come out easily and is a nice low profile but nothing really screams 3k? Either way it makes the shortlist.  :clap:

rudy_project_protera_helmet2-1200x856.jp

The Rudy Project Protera 

The straps can come out easily and is a nice low profile but nothing really screams 3k? Either way it makes the shortlist.  :clap:

rudy_project_protera_helmet2-1200x856.jp

Hectic at that price you could buy a Leatt with removable chinbar a friend of mine is selling for under R3300!!!

The Rudy Project Protera 

I was looking at that the other day but the price is massive. Good looking helmet tho.

Hectic at that price you could buy a Leatt with removable chinbar a friend of mine is selling for under R3300!!!

So is your friend going to sell his Leatt for 'under R3k'... good to know for the haggle! 

Just got an email from CRC saying that there was an issue with my order of the Leatt and that they refunded my cash and could I make the purchase again... only now the helmet is back up to £189 not the 40% off it was the other day when ordered it. Live help's response - 'We don't get told when items are coming off sale'. Meh. 

Search is back on. 

I was looking at that the other day but the price is massive. Good looking helmet tho.

So is your friend going to sell his Leatt for 'under R3k'... good to know for the haggle! 

Just got an email from CRC saying that there was an issue with my order of the Leatt and that they refunded my cash and could I make the purchase again... only now the helmet is back up to £189 not the 40% off it was the other day when ordered it. Live help's response - 'We don't get told when items are coming off sale'. Meh. 

Search is back on. 

I believe you know Stress Eric!!

I believe you know Stress Eric!!

A legend and great guy. He seems to go through more toys than I do!  :clap:

Specialized Ambush? I have one, very comfortable, well ventilated and good value I believe.

p5pb12209587.jpg

Padding does not last and the Velcro tabs lose their stick onto the helmet very quickly

Everything Rudy Project is overpriced

Padding does not last and the Velcro tabs lose their stick onto the helmet very quickly

For interest sake how long did you have the helmet before that started happening?

Had a BELL Super..hot as hell, looked like it was raining onto my face when riding...BUT...it did save my pip when I took a dive head first into the ground. Then got the IXS, comfy but it kept creeping down over my brow when going down anything steep. Now I have the Spez Ambush. Well ventilated, super light and once it's on you forget that there's a helmet on your head. Personally haven't had issues with the velcro or padding coming loose but I Detol mine after rides to kill any bacteria. Reckon it helps prolong the padding. I think the Leatt might be my next buy as well, good price and good reviews. 

I have Leatt knee pads already! I got the pads in black so I guess the black Enduro V2 it is :ph34r:

The Leatt is my favourite so far but not convinced about the chin bar option as yet.

Can't speak for the rest but I'm loving my leatt lid, I have the v2 was riding the green reign at the Enduro got my best result yet with my v2 on! Coincidence maybe but hey I'll take it! My buddy rode with the orange and teal leatt and I think as he described the lid is perfect.... "Put it on and forget it's even there" we rode all day with chinbars on without issue.

Definitely inspires confidence which makes up for lack of skill at times..

So I tried on the Leatt at Dirt merchant yesterday and it feels like they used me for the mould! 

The Enduro with the chin bar is 3300ish and without it is just under 2k. It matches my knee pads and the safety aspect (Which I never hope to test) makes sense. I think I have found my glass slipper but I don't know whether the chin bar is worth it. I have never done an enduro but I have crashed with my face before. When would I use the chin bar? Only if I go to Hakahana to chicken out on all the big stuff? 

What do you guys think? 

So I tried on the Leatt at Dirt merchant yesterday and it feels like they used me for the mould! 

The Enduro with the chin bar is 3300ish and without it is just under 2k. It matches my knee pads and the safety aspect (Which I never hope to test) makes sense. I think I have found my glass slipper but I don't know whether the chin bar is worth it. I have never done an enduro but I have crashed with my face before. When would I use the chin bar? Only if I go to Hakahana to chicken out on all the big stuff? 

What do you guys think? 

If the helmet fits you perfectly, then get, no matter what the cost is. I am big believer that a big part how safe a helmet is, is how it fits. No use getting the "best most super safe all safety tech included" helmet if it does not fit properly. 

Are you planning on doing an enduro race in the near future? Then get the chin bar.

Do you ride at Haka often? Then get the chin bar. 

Are you becoming a more skilled rider and will eventually hit the big stuff? Then get the chin bar.

Archived