MTB Helmet advice

Most XC and marathon riders use roadie helmets over terrain that is much more technical than we experience. Do they not require the "extra" protection at the back offered by trail style helmets? Have they learnt all their lessons the hard way while growing up and feel that they don't need it or does the ventilation and weight far outweigh the peace of mid. I understand a full face but how often has the extra rear protection helped? One thing I enjoy about a trail lid is the peak to protect me from the sun and to put my head down through branches so they don't take my sunny-g's off.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We as Pienaar Bros North are one of the few as well as cycle lab and Rebel elite so far. Plan is to get all cycle shops stocking uvex from next year so it becomes a household name.

We as Pienaar Bros North are one of the few as well as cycle lab and Rebel elite so far. Plan is to get all cycle shops stocking uvex from next year so it becomes a household name.

Good news. Do you know what the price is going to be? 

I can't speak highly enough of this:

Bluegrass Goldeneyes. A gift from my sister in the UK vis CRC.

Light, comfy, vents well, good protection, some well thought out features like the soft kevlar chin strap and a gel strip around the front. Worth a look.

I loved mine. Unfortunately the outer shell started turning from black to gray. CRC refunded me. Then I crashed the thing rather hard leaving a fat ding just above my right ear from the edge of a trail side boulder. The helmet did its job very well. I think I would have been in ICU had the helmet not been as thick and strong as it was. 

This is also one of the the best ventilated helmets out there. Just make sure you order the right size. The L/XL is very large. 

I loved mine. Unfortunately the outer shell started turning from black to gray. CRC refunded me. Then I crashed the thing rather hard leaving a fat ding just above my right ear from the edge of a trail side boulder. The helmet did its job very well. I think I would have been in ICU had the helmet not been as thick and strong as it was. 

This is also one of the the best ventilated helmets out there. Just make sure you order the right size. The L/XL is very large. 

That's the thing! Ideally we never want to actually make use of a helmet, but if it is needed, I want solace in something decent!

That is just it. You dont wanna end up with brain damage. A helmet and its safety ratings is extremely important. The price should not get in the way of being safe, but damn!! for some of the prices.

Good news. Do you know what the price is going to be? 

Price will be selling @ R3500 inc vat.  Stock has arrived last week and ready to rock. Got my sample unit today and man its a nice lid. snug on head and comfortable as anything. Detach is great as well. reinforced as well so if you come pipe it wont snap off. 

Does anyone know if Fox have an accident trade-in/replacement programme of some description?

For anyone who is interested, the answer is no, Fox does not have an accident replacement programme.

Price will be selling @ R3500 inc vat.  Stock has arrived last week and ready to rock. Got my sample unit today and man its a nice lid. snug on head and comfortable as anything. Detach is great as well. reinforced as well so if you come pipe it wont snap off. 

Great. How true is the sizing? I'm on the cusp of the two sizes at 57. I've heard they run a bit small but don't know how true that is. 

First ride update on Leatt enduro helmet ... very comfortable and ventilation very good .

Felt secure with well fitting comfortable lid going down the old military pass (15 min ) down ... and not too Hot at all (50 min) climb back up the hogsback pass.

Very happy with the purchase.

Also keen to grab one any moment now. That or an IXS trail RS. I find them both pretty comfy compared to my current Bell Super 2.

Best prices I can find are Evobikes and bike-addict. Both around R2k. Any others?

Just got my Leatt today and it's pretty awesome (with some great service from the actual Leatt guys thrown in for good measure). I'd tried the L on as I'm on the cusp of the M and the L and hands down the large was horribly uncomfortable weird pressure points, felt like there was no padding on the top of my skull etc. I was preparing to hate it and just sell it on as I wasn't holding out that the M that I actually ordered would be a good fit for my melon either. To be honest I was quite excited to order the Uvex. 

The total opposite when it arrived. While it isn't as plush and  perfect shape for my head type as my IXS Trail RS was, it fits and grip solidly and feels darn good in both chin bar and free modes. Will be keen to see how cool it is once the wind in CT calms down a bit. 

One thing I would have liked is that the rear retention dial was height adjustable as well but it's a little thing. 

Also keen to grab one any moment now. That or an IXS trail RS. I find them both pretty comfy compared to my current Bell Super 2.

Best prices I can find are Evobikes and bike-addict. Both around R2k. Any others?

I'm coming from IXS trail RS and I think the Leatt is more helmet. Pop into Dirt Merchant and chat to them about prices  :thumbup:

Archived