[Event] WPMTBC XCO Series Cup #1 Coetzenberg

Events Bot

• 1 month later...

The Western Cape XCO events over the last few years, received a lot of positive feedback around the country, from riders, supporters, families and other cycling unions, for hosting some of the best XCO events Last year there was a number of international professional riders taking part in some of the events, who added their praise. Very rewarding, is the notable growth in participants, ranging from all ages (nippers & sprogs, right up to masters).

Undoubtedly the best platform for riders to develop their skills and enjoy a more testing discipline of mountain-biking, we are excited to announce as follows :

​The first event in the SRAM WC XCO Series​, in association with T​YGERBERG ​MTB C​LUB​​, ​ which includes the SA XCO Series Cup #1​,​  kicks off at the Coetzenburg​ XCO​ Track in Stellenbosch​,​ on the 3 February 2018​.

To add to the excitement​, the SA XCO Cup #1 also forms part of the Junior World Tour​,​ so our Juniors have an opportunity to gain valuable UCI points for the 2018 season. 

The Coetzeburg track is to be used on 10​ ​March for the XCO World Cup that is being held in South Africa​. Our first event of 3 February, promises to attract some big​ international​ names a​gain, a​s this will be the only official racing event on this track​,​ before the ​W​orld​ C​up​,​ and makes for great practice​ for these international superstars.

Entries are open for riders - we want to encourage all who have not raced in a XCO race before, to consider taking part. Yes, it is a racier side to mtb'ing, but there is fun to be had by all. Not everyone can be on the podium, but everyone can enjoy the same thrills, and take part in the action. Needless to say, the format of XCO racing has technical challenges, more so than your average weekend ride, and the climbing involved makes you dig very deep, so it will not be advised to enter if you have just started the sport, but if you have been biking for a while, and want to try something different, XCO racing could just be what you've been looking for.

​The hosting venues are all spectator friendly and encourages family and friends to join for the day - with a variety of food stalls, etc it becomes a lovely day with the family, away from the busy city.

Looking forward to the 2018 season, and hope to see a lot of new faces at the races ! ​

Event Name: WPMTBC XCO Series Cup #1 Coetzenberg

When: 3 March 2018

Where: Coetzenberg Stadium (Stellenbosch), Western Cape

Category: MTB

Also the SA XCO Series Cup #1 & Junior XCO World Cup.

For more information follow the WPMTBC Facebook page and check the CSA website.

Learn about the series here.

Go to Event Page

03 February  ;)

Edited by Veer-Factor

I am going to be there trying not to die.... There are one or two pretty sketchy sections that look they have hove big teeth ready to bite you from lap 3 when your heart has already exploded and your lungs have fallen out of your eye sockets.

Should be a fun day out for the spectators, riders and medics alike!

Join me so we can battle it out fiercely for last place! It will totally be worth it. Do it!

Edited by Jewbacca

I am going to be there trying not to die.... There are one or two pretty sketchy sections that look they have hove big teeth ready to bite you from lap 3 when your heart has already exploded and your lungs have fallen out of your eye sockets.

Should be a fun day out for the spectators, riders and medics alike!

Join me so we can battle it out fiercely for last place! It will totally be worth it. Do it!

I am thinking about doing it. Doubt i will make the third lap.  :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

In my back yard, but having seen portions of the trail being prepared, I'm left wondering - how does one even ride some of those sections (pick up sticks comes to mind)??!  Will definitely be spectating though!

In my back yard, but having seen portions of the trail being prepared, I'm left wondering - how does one even ride some of those sections (pick up sticks comes to mind)??! Will definitely be spectating though!

Where are the best spectating and parking spots

Thanks

Edited by Bloukrans

Seeing that there will be a diversity of talent on the trail...the pro's will easily(?) catch up to back markers. How is that handled if it happens? Will lapped riders be pulled off?

A quick question for the organisers / anybody knowledgable:

If I'm a bit under 30, do I have to compete in Elites? I don't mind at all, but I've heard that only the Elites really have to have a full CSA racing license. I don't have one, and don't really want to pay for one for just 1 race.

I won't be competing for a podium, I can tell you that. Any help?

If I'm a bit under 30, do I have to compete in Elites? I don't mind at all, but I've heard that only the Elites really have to have a full CSA racing license. I don't have one, and don't really want to pay for one for just 1 race.

Maybe this will contain some more clarity - as per the organising body's recent post on social media :

"uestions and Answers on Entries, Cycling SA membership, Racing Licences, Late Entries and Day Licences

When do on-line pre-entries close?

On-line Pre-entries close on Tuesday, 30th January 2018.

How much is the entry fee when I enter online – www.cyclingsa.com:

Nippers and Sprogs: R180

All other Categories: R350

Do I need a Cycling SA Membership to enter online?

Yes.

Do I need a Cycling SA Racing Licence to enter online?

Junior, U23 and Elite participants need Cycling SA Membership and Racing Licences.

How much is a Cycling SA membership?

R275

How much is a Cycling SA Racing Licence?

R450

Can I do a late entry?

Late entries will only be allowed on Friday at the registration, 2 February 2018, from 9am to 4pm. There will be NO late entries at all on the race day, 3 February 2018.

How can I pay for my late entry on Friday, 2 February 2018?

Cash or with the Zapper App.

How much is the late entry?

Nippers and Sprogs: R230 (R180 + R50 late entry fee)

All other Categories: R400 (R350 + R50 late entry fee)

How does the ranking work for the first race of the series?

Once the online pre-entries close, a list is generated. The number allocations are done as per the rider rankings at the end of last season.

Is there an U23 category at the race on 3 February 2018?

No, the U23 participants are included in the category: Pro-Elite 19+

Can I enter with a Day Licence if I am a Junior, U23 or Elite Participant?

No, definitely not.

Who can do a late entry with a Day Licence?

All categories, other than the Juniors, U23 and Elites, and all nationalities, may take out a Day Licence on 2 February 2018 between 09:00 and 16:00

Do I need to produce my Licence card at registration if I entered online?

No, all entries on the online entry list have already had their Licences checked so they don’t need to produce Licence cards.

Do Junior, U23 and Elite participants need to produce Licence cards if they do late entries on Friday, 2 February 2018?

Yes, Junior, U23 and Elite late entries need to produce their Racing Licences or Digi Card on their phone.

Do Junior, U23 and Elite Participants need their UCI ID number?

Yes. Come prepared with your UCI ID number. The international riders have the UCI ID on their Licence cards.

If I am a Junior, U23 or Elite participant, will I be able to do a late entry without a Racing Licence?

No, if you don’t have a physical Racing Licence or Digi Card on your phone to show, then you cannot enter.

How do I get a racing Licence?

You can go online and buy a racing Licence through the Cycling SA website but the cut-off time for late entries is 16:00 on 2 February 2018 - www.cyclingsa.com

How do I get a racing Licence if I am a foreign participant?

Foreign participants have to get their Racing Licences through their own country’s cycling federation.

Do foreign participants have UCI ID numbers?

Yes, the foreign participants’ UCI ID numbers are on their Licence cards and it must be entered on the late entry form.

Can I enter after 16:00 on Friday, 2 February 2018?

No, registration closes strictly at 16:00, and we don’t accept any late entries, whatsoever, after 16:00.

Can I enter on 3 February 2018?

No, not at all.

When is the rider briefing?

The compulsory rider briefing is at 16:00 on 2 February 2018, and then we post the seeded start lists at the venue between 16:30 and 16:45."

Mini Savage had a massive fall while practicing at the Coetzenburg circuit today. He had a big OTB at the A-line drop going down to the field at the bottom. Luckily Mediclinic is very close. He suffered concussion and a crack in his jawbone. Also his coach is Lance, who is experienced and attended to him very professionally.

Unfortunately it means that he won't be riding Saturday, and his Pure Savage kit is stuffed. 

are you turning 30 years old before 31st December2018 if so you are then a Sub Vet, if not racing license which sucks!

Seeing that there will be a diversity of talent on the trail...the pro's will easily(?) catch up to back markers. How is that handled if it happens? Will lapped riders be pulled off?

correct but I think it's only on the final lap i.e. if the leader crosses the line to start his final lap there is no point for you to continue. also in the earlier start groups you will also get pulled off as they need to stick to strict timelines.

are you turning 30 years old before 31st December2018 if so you are then a Sub Vet, if not racing license which sucks!

Haha no, just short of that. Oh well, suppose I will wait until next year to start my belated XCO career :P

similar boat, and for a unsponsored rider that all the fees added up and probably the reason im not doing it.

will come an spectate