Are Raleigh bicycles from Makro still a bad idea

ravz86

Ive been reading some past posts which were posted a couple years back that the bikes from Makro are no good. Is that still the case ? even the 27 speed raleigh bikes?

My last 2 bikes were a Momsen AL126 and Fuji absolute 1.5.. I do some social riding and an event like 94.7 once a year.

To me the raleigh bikes looks good value for money but I have not owned a raleigh bike since the 90's and back then they were pretty decent.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the problem with a Makro bike is they get delivered in a box to the store

the store then gets a salesmen to assemble it

they are clueless

so be prepared for problems as the bike has not been assembled by someone who knows

also if at a later stage it gives problems where is the bike mechanic at Makro to help or fix the issue

if you want to buy raleigh at least buy from a cycle shop

I was in my local Makro the other day to spend some of my Christmas bonus on some bigscreen TVs.

While at the security check at the door before I left the store, people were wheeling Makro bikes past me out the door. Forks fitted backwards, seatposts with the clamp piece facing forward. Quick releases where they were just wound tight like a screw, not locked with the lever. Scary sh|t.

Given the price you pay for those bikes, and taking it to a shop to have it RE-assembled correctly, you probably could have just bought something better from a shop in the first place.

Not sure what are on the floor to offer now but the last time I had a look at the bikes (which were also Ralleigh) it is cheap cr@p.  Ralleigh does ship out good quality bikes, but they will not be sold at the makro. The Makro ones are really the entry level frames and then the components that are fittet is the cheapest of cheap and that is where your problem is.  Buying a cheap bike there and then refitting it with better quality components is gonna work out more espensive.  The moment you start putting in some milage into those cheap bikes is where you will notice the difference.

Makro bikes are, were, and always will be the worst bicycle related idea you could ever have.

In the UK they're known as BSOs, for 'bicycle shaped objects'. Looks like a bike, but doesn't work like one.

Still bad idea, there are a few links on youtube of guys taking wallmart bikes for a spin.  For normal casual riding they will work, but for mtb you will have problems, with rims bending, fork bottoming up, etc. FD that will move and you need to keep moving it back

the problem with a Makro bike is they get delivered in a box to the store

the store then gets a salesmen to assemble it

they are clueless

so be prepared for problems as the bike has not been assembled by someone who knows

also if at a later stage it gives problems where is the bike mechanic at Makro to help or fix the issue

if you want to buy raleigh at least buy from a cycle shop

The assembly is only half the problem. The best mechanic in the world could assemble one of those "bikes" and they'd still be shyte.

Yoh that does not sound good at all.

If we can save just one person from the hell that is a supermarket bike, we can all sleep better tonight.

My son had a "Raleigh" that we bought at Makro. It is not only the terrible excuse for assembly, but also the quality of the bike. I was amazed to see the lock nut on the crank arm by the BB is made of PLASTIC! No amount of adjustment could get it right, either too loose or it wouldn't turn. Few months later, the balls from the headset bearing were falling out...

No. Just NO!

BAD IDEA!!!

Re-read what was posted above a million times!!!

Further to what was said, do some googlefu and search for the video where they compare a supermarket mtb to a normal "proper" mtb, it is eyeopening to say the least!! Only a few km's into the ride the bike starts squealing, creaking and making all kinds of funny noises!!

Archived