Are Raleigh bicycles from Makro still a bad idea

ravz86

I had a Raleigh years ago that I used to get to school and back. For that purpose it was fine, but I wouldn't take it on a trail, unless it's a very flat trail.

The one from Makro actually doesn't look that bad... although you could probably get a 2nd hand deal on a bike with better components for the same price. http://raleighintl.com/elite-series/

The guys who already posted do have a good point about assembly and after sales service.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When were they ever a good idea?

To be honest, my very first "racing bike" was bought when I was in primary school, about 30-32 years ago.  My dad took me to the Pick n Pay hypermarket (no Makro those days) and I got a nice Raleigh. I loved that bike and I put miles in that thing.  Not just to school and back. It was those days without a doubt my favourate bike.  It got stolen a year or two later.  Insurance paid out and got a voucher for a bike shop where I bought my next "racing bike". Was the biggest load of shyte I ever had.  It was like getting an old Alfa as a first car.  Spend more time fixing it than riding.

If we can save just one person from the hell that is a supermarket bike, we can all sleep better tonight.

Yes,

OMG OP, please let us know that you're not going to buy one. 

My first (and only) Raleigh came directly from the Raleigh factory in a box. In 1972

Great bike, look what it caused in the long term.... 

I bought my son a Raleigh from game a few years back. Immediately had to spend R500 replacing brakes and shifters. Son rode it once or twice, gave it to the gardener the other day. He uses it to commute 1 or 2 kays to work. Don't think it is safe for anything else. Actually I haven't seen him since. Hopefully he is still ok.

Disagree partly, I had a Raleigh RC3000, which was the reason I fell in love with road cycling. Was a fantastic bike. 

You have to look at them individually. Agree that the bikes that make it to Makro are probably the lowest of the lows, but I remember a very well known SA pro team riding them for years without issues....

Just saying.

So yes, to answer the OP's question, from MAkro, yes, bad idea. But...

They probably still make descent better specced bikes somewhere.

Had a collision with my Ralleigh carbon a few months ago.  Lets just say ...

Ralleigh Carbon 1 - Allu MTB Unknown Type 0   :whistling: 

"Are Raleigh bikes from Makro still a bad idea"

Yes agree.  The brand itself safe but not the ones sold by Makro.

"Are Raleigh bikes from Makro still a bad idea"

Yep, but some posters combed the brand with the same comb as the Makro-Raleigh...

I've never seen the hub all agree on something before. Jeez I'm getting emotional here. Thank you makro for bringing us all together like this. 

http://community.raleighusa.com/sites/default/files/styles/bike_gallery/public/images/bike-archive/bike-detail/RA15_XXIX_Red.jpeg?itok=5eSPbjv3

Archived