[Event] Cederberg 100Miler

Gravel Travel Events

Ja looks like it, and I'm ok with that. I get in the area fairly regularly for work, and those farmers seriously need some rain. Don't expect too much mud, think the earth will just slurp that water up.

Rain only to arrive by evening...so will be dry, dusty but temps are looking nice. Not as hot as last year. But remember things can still change weather-wise - by Wednesday/Thursday it should be clear.

Enjoy guys and gals! Maybe I'll do a short term decision to join.... :ph34r: 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent ride! Spent the last 70km with the 2nd lady finisher and we kept a good pace. My shifter cable snapped with 15km to go so from there on it was long and heavy strokes for me.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Extremely tough race with awesome route.

Superbly organized. Everything from great goodybags, waterpoints in the right places to a personal touch.

#IWillBeBack, #GeyMyFriendsToDoThis race.

Well... yeah... that angry lady trying to ride the flat was me.

Really sorry if I didn't sound very nice to passers by trying to tell me that my rear wheel is flat  :blush:

Was going 2nd until like 99 kms...then 3rd - which is also quite OK for a race like this. On my final 10 km sprint, like 4 kms from the finish line my Crossmark just exploded giving me a shower of cooling sealant, and that cut was unrepairable. Well you don't really wanna run after 157 km ridden, all with your bike and in your cycling shoes - unless you are some weird version of an ironman  :blink: ...thus, in that stupid state of mind I was hoping I could still ride it - but smth told me to stop killing my bike so ended up hiking up & down which took me 20 minutes longer - and took my podium away :)

Well that happens, and I still shaved off 1 hr from last year's time - knowing the route with its neverending climbs does help.

I did enjoy every minute of it though (except for the last 20 ones where I wanted to cry) and will definitely be back next year!

Well done to all the hard minds who finished, especially the ladies. There were many more this year!

Edited by Catty

Thats Awesome, well done!! Need to get into shape for this. Hopefully find a dedicated training partner and I will be able to enter the next one.

Well... yeah... that angry lady trying to ride the flat was me.

Really sorry if I didn't sound very nice to passers by trying to tell me that my rear wheel is flat :blush:

Was going 2nd until like 99 kms...then 3rd - which is also quite OK for a race like this. On my final 10 km sprint, like 4 kms from the finish line my Crossmark just exploded giving me a shower of cooling sealant, and that cut was unrepairable. Well you don't really wanna run after 157 km ridden, all with your bike and in your cycling shoes - unless you are some weird version of an ironman :blink: ...thus, in that stupid state of mind I was hoping I could still ride it - but smth told me to stop killing my bike so ended up hiking up & down which took me 20 minutes longer - and took my podium away :)

Well that happens, and I still shaved off 1 hr from last year's time - knowing the route with its neverending climbs does help.

I did enjoy every minute of it though (except for the last 20 ones where I wanted to cry) and will definitely be back next year!

Well done to all the hard minds who finished, especially the ladies. There were many more this year!

Rode pass you in your last 5km. Felt like a dog not being able to help. At such a tough race, even if everything goes well you tend to lose your sense of humor at bit. Well done for not giving up. Most people would have pulled the plug in your situation. Ditto for the commitment to go back in 2019. Personally, the longer races doesn't suite me, but there is something special about this one. I'll be back for more torture, but it is definitely worth it.

Rode pass you in your last 5km. Felt like a dog not being able to help. At such a tough race, even if everything goes well you tend to lose your sense of humor at bit. Well done for not giving up. Most people would have pulled the plug in your situation. Ditto for the commitment to go back in 2019. Personally, the longer races doesn't suite me, but there is something special about this one. I'll be back for more torture, but it is definitely worth it.

Hehe thank you, I do not think anyone could help there really...

It would have been the end to the race if that happened like half way through, but not after you're done with 99% of it.

This year I had more sense of humour than back in 2017, the hardest part being the last 15 km - mentally, when you're counting down like 15...14...13... okay, 10 is nothing...like  another commute to work - and then those sandy rolling hills materialize making your pace soo slow.

For me this is the only 100-miler done so far (but quite a few 100+ km rides and races) - I do agree this is special, there's something magic in that Cederberg.

So yes - 2019, hoping and training for 8h 30m :)

You had a good jog going when you came in. I also had to run the last bit on the lawn with my broken derailleur cable.  :thumbup:

Guys, just for interest, how would you rate this event on a scale of 1 - 10, taking into account all factors?

Route, waterpoints, value for money, goodie bag ( :whistling: ) accommodation around the event etc?

Guys, just for interest, how would you rate this event on a scale of 1 - 10, taking into account all factors?

Route, waterpoints, value for money, goodie bag ( :whistling: ) accommodation around the event etc?

1-10 you say? I rate it a 11 then  :thumbup:  :clap:

Absolutely breathtaking. From the registration the Saturday to the Hotel accomodation. Rode the tiptrans last year and i knew i was in for a great challenge. The goal was to have no mechanical issues and to make the cut off. Partnered with a good friend and we were flying up the hills. Guys made some comments about us 2 being the "maer gatte" that could climb easily, hehe. We had a lekke laugh and jol in the race with the guys. 9hrs later on my hardtail and we crossed the finished line. Happy and full of smiles when i held my medal. I will definitely be back next year and every. Amazing scenery makes every pedal stroke worth it. Must also comment on the aid station, full feeding zones was more then enough. Every cent worth!! See you 2019. 

10/10!

PS: For the guys doing the Trek there was even a free beer stop.

Well organized event, fantastic goody bag, friendly people, spectacular scenery and a beautiful part of our world with plenty corrugation and rocks and loose sand. Couldn’t go full gas on some of the delicious downhills as i was shaken and stirred so much that i had to slow down to regain consciousness on my gravel bike (40c Maxxis Ramblers - needed wider tyres). Some serious climbing of almost 3100 m, needed some easier gears for some of the climbs at the end and had to walk as my little legs were cooked (52/36 | 11/30)! Would love to go back riding it on my Niner MCR htail with rigid carbon fork, it has much better gearing and will add drop bars with sti’s for more hand positions. Overall a great event.

Here’s a relive route map:

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

Fun fact, this route has the same total ascent as a TransKaroo (defunct) up ride, only it packs it into shorter router in much more concentrated dosages  :devil: 
Another fun fact, Pieter came up with both routes. He's a legend when it comes to long distance rides like that. :thumbup:

Edited by Rouxenator