[Event] Cederberg 100Miler

Gravel Travel Events

not really, had some awesome rides, and one very long tiring ride at Garden Route Trail Park

Garden Route never dissapoints. I'm assuming you used the trail bike then?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Garden Route never dissapoints. I'm assuming you used the trail bike then?

Indeed, it was overkill but very enjoyable.

When I go again, I will take the HT

Edited by Eddy Gordo

That first long climb on the route profile is really not that bad. It is quite long, but very manageable. The long stretch at top was actually harder for me - road was in a bad condition, loads of "sinkplaat", and my HT was unforgiving.

You wont be disappointed in doing this race, even if only for the scenery. At the end of the day it feels like you almost rode 3 different races in 3 different areas. 

It is official: there will be a gravel bike categoryattachicon.gifCederberg100Miler2017_IMG_3139_Photo Sam Clark.jpg.

Jean de Villiers got an excellent 2nd place overall (only minutes behind legend Erik Kleinhans) on his gravel bike on the 2017 event.

Whoohoo this is brilliant news. I'm guessing the Gravel Bike can only take one prize i.e. in Jeans situation, where he was 1st Gravel Bike but 2nd Overall? or would he have scooped up both podiums spots had there been an official gravel catergory in 2017?

Oh, just to add: that last big climb at about 90km is farking tough. This is the one you need to watch out for, and it is actually more like 3 smaller climbs in 1. You hit it at about noon, we had temperatures of about 35'C there, and it just seems to never end. 

Its one of those climbs where you can almost constantly see all the way you have to go, just to get over the top, have a little dip, and then go again. Its hard.

Good news is that once you are over the top it is mostly flat to the finish, and road conditions are (or were) good from there on.

Whoohoo this is brilliant news. I'm guessing the Gravel Bike can only take one prize i.e. in Jeans situation, where he was 1st Gravel Bike but 2nd Overall? or would he have scooped up both podiums spots had there been an official gravel catergory in 2017?

Jean would have bagged both prizes. We are looking at prize money of (at least) R100 per gravel bike entry, so the more gravel bike riders the bigger the prize money. 

What training are you guys doing in preparation for this?

Just normal LSD rides, banking the km's. We did a couple of long rides from Durbanville out to Wellington, Paarl, Stellenbosch, etc. Gravel / some tar roads, and just let the km's roll.

Edited by HDW

Jean would have bagged both prizes. We are looking at prize money of (at least) R100 per gravel bike entry, so the more gravel bike riders the bigger the prize money. 

How do you know how many gravel bikes entered as there was no option to select/tick when I entered?

How do you know how many gravel bikes entered as there was no option to select/tick when I entered?

We will either confirm from entered athletes prior to the event (via email) or require this information upon riders collecting their race numbers and goody bags. 

What training are you guys doing in preparation for this?

i'm doing nothing specific right now but my advise would be to klap LSD rides. If I'm going to take the Gravel Grinder i'll have to start clocking miles on that steed because your body needs to adjust to that new position\geometry.

i'm doing nothing specific right now but my advise would be to klap LSD rides. If I'm going to take the Gravel Grinder i'll have to start clocking miles on that steed because your body needs to adjust to that new position\geometry.

Where/ when you clapping LSD rides?

Right now hill climbing is tuff for me, but I suppose manageable