[Event] Porcupine Ridge MTB Challenge 2018

Shaun Peters

ok, so can someone tell me what happened? we were rerouted and the marshall lady said that the trails got vandalised.

Other than Karl Platt dropping me at the start, I actually enjoyed the ride. I did it last in 2015 and it seems more rocky.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turned out to be about 47k in the end but I have to say I rate this as one of the nicest medium distance events on the calendar. Loads of technical sections - rock gardens, tricky loose rocky descents and climbs, surprise little kicker climbs, fast flowing sections and about 2 or 3 kms of tar/gravel road just to let the mind rest for a few minutes.

Even a litle bit of everone's favourite .... sand.

Very good water points, including one with home made wine gums and other delicacies.

And absolutely gorgeous scenery - nearly crashed gawping at the views across the dam.

Only two minor pointers for improvement - one or two places could have used clearer route markings and a more accurate route distance but it feels churlish to complain.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and going to do it again next year. 

Thank you to all involved.

What a freakin horror show for me.

Did not feel good at the start. Got dropped by my wife, and then sand, loose rocks, more sand, more loose rocks, missing trail markers, then having to do an extra loose rocky climb that went on for miles that we should not have done because of a missing route marker.

Some on the middle distance did 29km, and some 33km.

And then after the 2nd WP I had a spectacular tumble on the (guess it!) loose rocky descent.

Thanks to whoever helped me up. From there on I struggled on with a hurting shoulder and thigh, and focusing on where the route is supposed to be.

My son was 13th at one point in the middle distance race, and then too went on the wrong route at a split with no marker, got hauled in by the marshal on the motorbike and told to go back down. I suppose those that did the race before knew where to go, others did not.

My first and last Porcupine Ridge.

Oh, somewhere on the mountain I got passed by one flying Savage and his mate. Pulled off for them and they said a big thank you. 

Brilliant Waterpoints BTW.

Edited by Moridin

Did not feel good at the start. Got dropped by my wife, and then sand, loose rocks, more sand, more loose rocks, missing trail markers, then having to do an extra loose rocky climb that went on for miles that we should not have done because of a missing route marker.

And then after the 2nd WP I had a spectacular tumble on the (guess it!) loose rocky descent.

Thanks to whoever helped me up. From there on I struggled on with a hurting shoulder and thigh, and focusing on where the route is supposed to be.

My son was 13th at one point in the middle distance race, and then too went on the wrong route at a split with no marker, got hauled in by the marshal on the motorbike and told to go back down. I suppose those that did the race before knew where to go, others did not.

Oh, somewhere on the mountain I got passed by one flying Savage and his mate. Pulled off for them and they said a big thank you. 

I normally don't rant, but the marking needs improvement because I like the terrain and definitely want to be back

I normally don't rant, but the marking needs improvement because I like the terrain and definitely want to be back

You are on your own on the terrain part. I prefer to go forward when I pedal, not sideways to and fro like a drunken snake.  :eek:

Sorry to hear it Morodin. Glad your fall didn't take you out completely.

I must say some of those rocky descents were properly hectic.

Were the route marker problems on the shorter route?

On long route there were a few missing ones, luckily there was always riders ahead so was ok. That sand at the end was cool and loved the rocky challenge. I'm by far the best technical dude, but definitely getting better.

Sorry to hear it Morodin. Glad your fall didn't take you out completely.

I must say some of those rocky descents were properly hectic.

Were the route marker problems on the shorter route?

Thanks. Ja, the blokes that helped me were proper nice guys. 4 or 5 stopped to help me. One bloke thought my shoulder was off. But luckily I usually tuck in my arms without thinking. Programmed response I think from my amateur wrestling days at school.

Yes, there were 2 important markers missing. 1 point at the split in the ST running along the dam, and then one going back on the mountain. Most people went down a very loose rocky descent (including me) to the road at the bottom, and we had to climb back up the mountain to get to the point where we should have joined the road on the mountain. The rest missing markers one could figure out where one needed to go after stopping a bit looking for clues.

My son went up the wrong way on the split in the ST along the dam.

Edited by Moridin

Loved it! Proper MTB route with epic scenery. Pity about the bit at the end where someone put up that barricade and riders returned to the road instead of going for the last loop. But still very enjoyable. This guy got it right : www.strava.com/activities/1377095709 

My only two wishes would be for better marking/marshaling and for more riders to upgrade to flat pedals. Jinne, I was so frustrated behind cleat riders walking perfectly rideable bits of single track

post-38519-0-85265200-1517061584_thumb.jpg

Great course. Also was directed wrong way ended up on 47 km. Still waiting for results...Felt like I was in a cyclocross race for the first 10km .Nice pic Rouxenator - I am in there ????

Ja looking at Karl Platt's Strava there was an extra loop that made the distance 57k.

Now I feel a bit cheated and that I can't really claim to have done the race properly.

Thing is - at the point where the extra loop was supposed to happen there was no marker and no marshal and three different possible directions if memory serves. I turned towards the white bakkie that was parked and got ushered onto the tar by the marshal as if all was in order.

Disappointing - fix this and it will be a stellar event.

Strava flybys also shows that there were some pretty interesting variations on the route taken. 

Good mtb'ing!!!

Feel sorry for the organisers that route markings got vandalised but there were many arrows on flimsy paper so the wind probably was the vandal

After taking the wrong route for a 3rd time I decided to call it a day. In general I think they can do a better job in general

I also told the Marshall by white bakkie that it's confusing and said I must hit the tar and go to finish. I actually followed the white arrow on the surface and when realised that the okes behind me not on my tail did i decide to turn around.they could have actually stood at that point. Hopefully they do better. This race is completely volunteer run so understand they wanna make good profit for lions club, and hopefully they can improve on it

Interesting, last time I did this race was in 2013 and then route markings were also an issue. Hope the organisers can get it right before it hurts their race!