Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

No exercise since the 9th, and I'm down to 95.2. That's a total loss of 4.4kg since the 1st. It's not a huge loss, but I'm happy with it. Although I must admit, I am missing excercise.

428fd1fcf450ad2394389777393beeeb.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Well done man!!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was stuck between a rock and a hard place a few days ago, where I thought of selling my road bike to get a mountain bike again, as I find even a hard tail mtb is more comfortable to ride on the road than a road bike. I was also thinking of, with the money I might from the road bike, save a bit and get a second hand dual suspension for extra comfort, but if I get a mountain bike, whether hard tail or dual sus, I will be too tempted to enter mtb events again, and I wouldn't want to take a chance with my back.

Should hopefully have mtb riser bars fitted to the road bike by the end of the week, or early next week at the latest.

I actually sold my road bike due to the back issues. Surprisingly the constant vibration of riding road is much worse than the expected and planned big hits on the mtb. But I think that has alot to do with seated position as well. Rode a mates aggresive XC bike for a day and I was in agony! So you are probably going the right route with riser mtb bars for comfort...

I actually sold my road bike due to the back issues. Surprisingly the constant vibration of riding road is much worse than the expected and planned big hits on the mtb. But I think that has alot to do with seated position as well. Rode a mates aggresive XC bike for a day and I was in agony! So you are probably going the right route with riser mtb bars for comfort...

The main issue I have with road bikes is that you feel every bump on the road, not sure how that would affect my back. The Chiropractor seems to think road cycling will be okay though.

Edited by HyruleWarrior80

The main issue I have with road bikes is that you feel every bump on the road, not sure how that would affect my back. The Chiropractor seems to think road cycling will be okay though.

Give it a go and see :) I've realised with injuries (and pretty much everything in life), what works like a charm for me could be horrible for you and vice versa. Keen to hear what your experience is on the road bike with a riser bar after a few rides...

Bloody hell. Just (1:15 ago) finished a hike on TM. 4:45 Total time up India Venster and down Platteklip. My fitness held us back Ito time and speed, but fark me I'm kaput. Came to terms with my fear of heights in some places; I'm definitely not an accomplished climber. But it was awesome!

Legs like jelly. I may not be able to walk tomorrow.

Metrics:

4:45 Total time

11.25km

887m climbed

2,345 kcal burnt

149bpm avg

Leg muscles cramping: all of them.

Tomorrow is going to be interesting

There's been a heap of investigation as to what actually makes up the weight that we lose. Is it our sweat, or our fat cells screaming, or our pee, poo or other ablutions...

The answer, strangely, was that it was actually the volume of CO2 that our bodies process and expel that was the biggest contributing factor. This means that VO2 is a very important measure, as is the relationship between heart rate and our own bodies' efficiency at various rates of exertion. 

Put simply - you need to eat, drink & breathe in less than you pee, poo & breathe out. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141216212047.htm

Excerpt:

"There is surprising ignorance and confusion about the metabolic process of weight loss," says Professor Andrew Brown, head of the UNSW School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences.

"The correct answer is that most of the mass is breathed out as carbon dioxide. It goes into thin air," says the study's lead author, Ruben Meerman, a physicist and Australian TV science presenter.

In their paper, published in the British Medical Journal today, the authors show that losing 10 kilograms of fat requires 29 kilograms of oxygen to be inhaled and that this metabolic process produces 28 kilograms of carbon dioxide and 11 kilograms of water.

Mr Meerman became interested in the biochemistry of weight loss through personal experience.

"I lost 15 kilograms in 2013 and simply wanted to know where those kilograms were going. After a self-directed, crash course in biochemistry, I stumbled onto this amazing result," he says.

One of the best TED videos I watched:

Bloody hell. Just (1:15 ago) finished a hike on TM. 4:45 Total time up India Venster and down Platteklip. My fitness held us back Ito time and speed, but fark me I'm kaput. Came to terms with my fear of heights in some places; I'm definitely not an accomplished climber. But it was awesome!

Legs like jelly. I may not be able to walk tomorrow.

Metrics:

4:45 Total time

11.25km

887m climbed

2,345 kcal burnt

149bpm avg

Leg muscles cramping: all of them.

Tomorrow is going to be interesting

Makes me think of my hiking experience a couple years back.

Went to some place out in Magalies and we were doing the easiest route of about 8km.

At the time, I was doing sub-30 on 5km runs, so in my mind we were going to be gone for 45 minutes or so.

Roughly 4 hours later we got back, all of us vowing to be more prepared if we ever tried that again. haha

if you use herbs and spices...you never need the sugar loaded sauces. haven't bought a sauce in over a year.. don't miss them either.. 

Don't try and take my chilli sauce from me!

Had a bad day and ate way too much yesterday. Must say it was the first bad day this month so not too worried. Back on today,like a shark on a tuna ![emoji123][emoji123]

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Must have been something in the air yesterday...

I didn't exactly fall off the wagon, but, I had such a craving for peanut butter yesterday that the first thing I did when I got home was make a sandwich where I would normally not need to eat until dinner.

My car got a little ding in the front on Tuesday morning. Tow truck took it to the local Panel Beater, but the shock from the ding put me off food the whole day. I had one banana, three nectarines, and filled up on coffee. I wonder how much weight I lost on Tuesday?

Well done man! How are those legs feeling today?

Well done man! How are those legs feeling today?

Like jelly... Tomorrow is going to be the really interesting bit. 

First step down the stairs this morning. Calf cramps. Einaaaaaa