Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm that does not look like a fillet meat stack .....

But, on the topic of protein.

Yum Yum peanut butter, the unsalted and non sweetened one .... safe to eat while moving to a LCHF diet?

Peanut oil's ratios of mono- and polyunsaturated fat to saturated fat is high, implicating that it should be very beneficial in preventing atherosclerosis. However, in several studies on laboratory animals, which included primates, peanuts and peanut oil was found to be unexpectedly atherogenic. So much so that peanut oil, up to this day, is still fed to rabbits to induce atherosclerosis to study the disease. It was later proved by David Kritchevsky, PhD, that peanut oil lectin was the culprit, responsible for the blocked arteries. Peanut oil lectin is a rather large protein molecule, and quite resistant to the enzyme systems in the human gut.

In further experiments by a Dr Wang and others, and published in Lancet, it was proved that the big peanut oil lectin molecule were detected in the blood of humans in as little as a couple of hours after ingesting a handful of peanuts. These proteins also have carbohydrates attached to it, and hence it can bind to several different cells in the body. It was proved further that these peanut oil lectin molecules attached itself to sugar receptors in the arteries, and thus starting the process of atherosclerosis.

I am relatively convinced that occasional consumption of peanut products may not cause permanent damage, but I would certainly not make it part of my regular diet.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11745-998-0276-9

Btw, peanuts are not a nut at all but rather a legume like soybeans and alfalfa. A much healthier high fat snack than peanut butter would be macadamia nut butter. Low in saturated fatty acids, high in monounsaturated fatty acids and also with a healthier ratio of omega-6: omega-3. Easy to make your own macadamia butter by blitzing some macadamias in your liquidiser or food processor. Add a few drops of coconut oil to aid the emulsification process.

Before and current

99.6 to 87.7kg

I could actually stay at this size and weight but weight means everything when it comes to Strava and getting better times at events [emoji51]

1ce4eab854c3633c2fc8c77fe40dea9f.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

what app is that sniffie ?

My weight. Very simple to set up and use and free. The advertising at the top don't bother me. If it bothers you, I think there is a paid version that is ad free.

Well done on everyone's progress so far!! Keep it up gents :clap:  :thumbup:

I have a question that I need an answer to. I swapped my glass/can of coke, to the more 'sugar friendly' coke zero/light.

Now I don't drink a lot of it (mainly over weekends) and everything seemed to work well. However, I was told this weekend that Aspartame (which is found in your 'no sugar' beverage derivatives actually causes your weight loss to slow down dramatically.

Does anyone know if this is true? or what the science is behind it?

Thanks guys.

Well done on everyone's progress so far!! Keep it up gents :clap:  :thumbup:

I have a question that I need an answer to. I swapped my glass/can of coke, to the more 'sugar friendly' coke zero/light.

Now I don't drink a lot of it (mainly over weekends) and everything seemed to work well. However, I was told this weekend that Aspartame (which is found in your 'no sugar' beverage derivatives actually causes your weight loss to slow down dramatically.

Thanks guys.

Interesting

"Many people reach for low-calorie versions of sugary drinks thinking they’re healthier, but it’s been found that gulping down the sweetener aspartame actually disrupts metabolism and can make it harder to drop the pounds."

https://www.news24.com/You/Archive/how-diet-drinks-may-actually-prevent-weight-loss-20170728

Well done on everyone's progress so far!! Keep it up gents :clap: :thumbup:

Thanks guys.

Apparently not only aspartame but sweeteners in general causes an insulin response in man. Insulin is like the fat burning switch in the body, to much insulin causes the body to stop burning fat and rather start storing fat. Taste receptors in the tounge sends a signal to the brain that something sweet is on the way to the stomach and small intestines. Brain sends a signal to the beta cells of the islets of Langerhans in the pancreas to release insulin into the bloodstream. So while the diet soda may contain very little calories it may interfere with a weight loss effort, by stimulating an unwanted insulin response. There were tests done with people swirling energy drink around in the mouth for a second or two before spitting it out and rinsing the mouth with water. Just the brief taste of something so sweet was strong enough signal for an insulin response.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/261179.php

Not only that, but carbonated drinks are known to stimulate appetite. Even carbonated water. Rather stay away from carbonated drinks if you find that you are not losing as much or as fast as you like.

Edited by Sniffie

A few years ago I started looking into various types of drinks as my eldest is ADHD.

There were a number of reports that Asperatame and the like are very bad for you. Same with colourants and flavourants. Another bad apple is MSG. Turned out that OROS as a drink as far as ADHD is concerned is the worst you could give a kid.

Apparently not only aspartame but sweeteners in general causes an insulin response in man. Insulin is like the fat burning switch in the body, to much insulin causes the body to stop burning fat and rather start storing fat. Taste receptors in the tounge sends a signal to the brain that something sweet is on the way to the stomach and small intestines. Brain sends a signal to the beta cells of the islets of Langerhans in the pancreas to release insulin into the bloodstream. So while the diet soda may contain very little calories it may interfere with a weight loss effort, by stimulating an unwanted insulin response. There were tests done with people swirling energy drink around in the mouth for a second or two before spitting it out and rinsing the mouth with water. Just the brief taste of something so sweet was strong enough signal for an insulin response.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/261179.php

Not only that, but carbonated drinks are known to stimulate appetite. Even carbonated water. Rather stay away from carbonated drinks if you find that you are not losing as much or as fast as you like.

Thanks very much for that. Very interesting to know.

It's not that I am unhappy with my weight-loss thus far, with that being said it would probably be better to still lay off the diet cokes. Water it is instead.

Something that was said while I was doing the GetFit Challenge in 2015 was that quite a few people go back to their old eating habits after the challenge, and that's why I gained weight again after the challenge - I went back to my old eating habits. When I think about it now, I could easily stay on a bowl of sugarless oats for breakfast, drink coffee without sugar, have my cracker bread and peanut butter or ham or avo for lunch, and munch on a piece of vleis to go with low carb veggies or a salad with an egg for dinner.