WE ARE OPEN - Cathkin Trails - Central Drakensberg, KZN

snowbeast

Hi, does anybody have any updated info on these trails? I'll be there for the last bit of September and would love to not ride any tar roads...

Last year the trails were OK... Some firebreaks (ploughing) through the forest upset some of the trails. Some trail sections made years ago have closed.

Also a small trail at Mt. Splendor. I've also enjoyed the Sappi forest roads that follow after passing Ardmore accommodations (dust roads) leading up into the foothills.

Use Strava to plot your path. Don't miss the catwalk section underneath the main road near the Nest Hotel...Enjoy...

Last year the trails were OK... Some firebreaks (ploughing) through the forest upset some of the trails. Some trail sections made years ago have closed.

Also a small trail at Mt. Splendor. I've also enjoyed the Sappi forest roads that follow after passing Ardmore accommodations (dust roads) leading up into the foothills.

Use Strava to plot your path. Don't miss the catwalk section underneath the main road near the Nest Hotel...Enjoy...

Awesome, thanks for the info!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone ridden Cathkin recently?

I'll be in the area next month and am hoping to ride the trails. Hoping they're in good shape.

38 minutes ago, SeanW said:

Anyone ridden Cathkin recently?

I'll be in the area next month and am hoping to ride the trails. Hoping they're in good shape.

Hey Sean

There haven't been any races there since the snow-bath of the KZN champs last year - but the trails were well worn in.

Send me a DM with your email and I can send you the google earth file for the enduro stages we used for the event. Then you can just make them into gpx files - you can access the trails by starting at the Drakensberg Brewery, pay your trail fees, and then ride across to the stages by Ardmore. 

I believe that Cathkin Trails have replaced all the bridges that were washed away, so the trails should be in ok nick.

Cheers

Nige

Hi Sean,

Been going to that area for many years now.

The Cathkin Trails are not as good as they used to be, years ago. Floods last year have really degraded the trails.

The forest section infront of the bakery was sublime till they chopped all the trees down (3 years ago). There was a section going up the side of a small mountain (behind the Mill - Ardmore side) but was neglected. The catwalk bridge (under main road near Nest Hotel)  was washed away (noticed last year). A farmer trashed the trail behind the mill by ploughing the ground.

I don't think that it's financially viable for the interested parties to keep the trails in good/great condition. It was quite wet last year (May) so I stuck mainly to the roads. Rode to Drak Sun and back and to Caeley Lodge (beware as road here is in a bad condition) and to Bell Dam.

Mountain Splendor trails were just rideable (always enjoy their small challenging circuit). I took a one week Pass (think it costs R200 - always happy to support their efforts) but only used it on one day.

I've never ridden the trails linked to Dragons Peak resort (think they have DH events there). I might try them this year. 

There's a great road Strava segment from Dragons Peak resort up the long hill to Monks Cowl wildlife office (where the road ends). A great challenge. 

My best ride is to go past Ardmore accommodation into the Sappi Forest Reserve on MTB. Great exploring and views. No problems with entry into this area. No signs or entry gates. I guess only problematic times would be when they are cutting down trees and transporting them out. 

Another good segment is from Mt. Splendor to Dragons view (going through Champagne Lane resort). I've got the KOM coming down so give it a bash.

Use Strava to search for other segments/ trails to ride. Good luck and hope you have great weather. 

Edited by robbybzgo
Spelling

19 hours ago, robbybzgo said:

Hi Sean,

Been going to that area for many years now.

The Cathkin Trails are not as good as they used to be, years ago. Floods last year have really degraded the trails.

The forest section infront of the bakery was sublime till they chopped all the trees down (3 years ago). There was a section going up the side of a small mountain (behind the Mill - Ardmore side) but was neglected. The catwalk bridge (under main road near Nest Hotel)  was washed away (noticed last year). A farmer trashed the trail behind the mill by ploughing the ground.

I don't think that it's financially viable for the interested parties to keep the trails in good/great condition. It was quite wet last year (May) so I stuck mainly to the roads. Rode to Drak Sun and back and to Caeley Lodge (beware as road here is in a bad condition) and to Bell Dam.

Mountain Splendor trails were just rideable (always enjoy their small challenging circuit). I took a one week Pass (think it costs R200 - always happy to support their efforts) but only used it on one day.

I've never ridden the trails linked to Dragons Peak resort (think they have DH events there). I might try them this year. 

There's a great road Strava segment from Dragons Peak resort up the long hill to Monks Cowl wildlife office (where the road ends). A great challenge. 

My best ride is to go past Ardmore accommodation into the Sappi Forest Reserve on MTB. Great exploring and views. No problems with entry into this area. No signs or entry gates. I guess only problematic times would be when they are cutting down trees and transporting them out. 

Another good segment is from Mt. Splendor to Dragons view (going through Champagne Lane resort). I've got the KOM coming down so give it a bash.

Use Strava to search for other segments/ trails to ride. Good luck and hope you have great weather. 

It's really difficult to keep the trails in top condition with the rain we have had up here. It is not unheard of to have 80-100mm in an hour here and that wreaks havoc with the trails and bridges. On top of that, it rains nearly everyday, so there is very little chance for the trails to dry out and maintenance to be done. 

With regards to the trees being cut down, unfortunately that is business. The land owners allow the trails to be used while the trees are growing, but at some stage they need to be cut down and the the trails are closed until they are complete. Only Sappi is a large company, all the other forests are privately owned. These are all issues out of the trail builders control. Another issue they have is riders using the trails without paying for them which puts more pressure on the resorts who contribute to the upkeep of the trails.

The Cathkin trail network includes all the runs around Mountain Splendour, Dragons Peak, Sappi and Ardmore sections, so there are usually some areas open to riders that don't include forest sections being worked on.

The tails will come back up to the "old" standard, it is unfortunately going to take a bit of time

Thanks for that info. It would be great to get that forest section (infront of the bakery) rehabilitated soon. I hope that April will be dry and maybe see you then...