Bike Hub Commuters Challenge 2018

Bateleur1

Sadly I had a crash going into Eversdal Rd from Old Oak Rd. I carried quite some speed and did not expect water across the road when I turned. Front wheel washed out and I went down quite hard. Thank you for the drivers that stop to help, appreciate it. Unfortunately, there is damage to the bike...

I suspect that I cracked my handlebars. Shifters took a beating, new handlebar tape will be needed and I will also need to inspect the frame. Wheels are fine, no buckling that I can see. My bib is torn, as well as my left sock (I took the impact on my left side). My gloves are toast (I am just thankful I had them on - full fingers gloves).

But it is what it is, and I am super bummed about the incident. Luckily I do have insurance on the bike, so let's hope for the best. Could have been a lot worse, so I am thankful for that!

Taking my bike to my mechanic tonight for a full inspection.

Be safe out there! (accidents happens so freakin' fast)

Hells bells ... hope you and the bike are going to be ok.

Only thing worse than that is if endomodo crashes out on you while you are trying to catch the leader ........ and that has happened to me at least twice now :P

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly I had a crash going into Eversdal Rd from Old Oak Rd. I carried quite some speed and did not expect water across the road when I turned. Front wheel washed out and I went down quite hard. Thank you for the drivers that stop to help, appreciate it. Unfortunately, there is damage to the bike...

I suspect that I cracked my handlebars. Shifters took a beating, new handlebar tape will be needed and I will also need to inspect the frame. Wheels are fine, no buckling that I can see. My bib is torn, as well as my left sock (I took the impact on my left side). My gloves are toast (I am just thankful I had them on - full fingers gloves).

But it is what it is, and I am super bummed about the incident. Luckily I do have insurance on the bike, so let's hope for the best. Could have been a lot worse, so I am thankful for that!

Heel up and hope your bike will be fixed quickly.  I am sure you will have some sore muscles over the next few days.  I wiped out last year in wet conditions and although it was not high speed and had hardly any injuries whatsoever, I did come down bloody hard to an abrubt stop.  Shoulder and upper body was sore for days.

Heel up and hope your bike will be fixed quickly.  I am sure you will have some sore muscles over the next few days.  I wiped out last year in wet conditions and although it was not high speed and had hardly any injuries whatsoever, I did come down bloody hard to an abrubt stop.  Shoulder and upper body was sore for days.

100% true. I struggled to get out of bed today for work due to my sore muscles. I bought Mybulen for the pain. 

I will be taking a few days off the bike to heal and also to get my bike to inspect and or fixed.

To make matter worse, I went for a bike fit last week and had a great ride on Saturday (felt so comfortable on the bike) and my fitness levels are also in order. And just the last kilometres after saying goodbye to mates, I crashed...

Luckily my seat did not take that much damage, only a scratch and it also did not move. Same goes for the handlebars, but the left shifter did move due to the impact.

Ai, ai! Sorry to hear Andrew. Hope you heal up soon and the bike is ok. Yeah, we gotta be cautious out there, we have an awesome spring coming up, need all hands on deck!

Ai. Hope bike is not too badly damaged and hoping you heal up soon.

Anyone know what's happening with Mr Goosen on the challenge? He's K's haven't moved in about 2 months.

Ladies and gents we got ourselves a new leader. Nice one Hairy!

It is pretty neck-on-neck at the moment there.  Congrats Hairy.

It is pretty neck-on-neck at the moment there.  Congrats Hairy.

Going the commute this afternoon again. Cannot wait after not cycling for 11 days. :) 

But Hairy will have the lead for a while. Congrats Hairy. 

Going the commute this afternoon again. Cannot wait after not cycling for 11 days. :)

But Hairy will have the lead for a while. Congrats Hairy. 

Had a long stint off the bike two weeks ago.  Was glad to get back on the bike.

Only 50km separating the top 3?! What?!

This is getting exciting!!!

Oh, yeah and I just joined the exclusive 4k club. 

Only 50km separating the top 3?! What?!

This is getting exciting!!!

Oh, yeah and I just joined the exclusive 4k club. 

Congrats on the 4K.  Yip, quite exciting at the front now.

Congrats on the 4K.  Yip, quite exciting at the front now.

you should be top of the charts soon with the distance you are commuting......and then winter winter will set in for you again :P

you should be top of the charts soon with the distance you are commuting......and then winter winter will set in for you again :P

Lets see how global warming goes this winter ;) :P

What a beautiful but SUPER cold morning.

Working from home today. Initially thought my wound was doing better but sadly not. I went for a ride on Saturday and bought a non-stick bandage to prevent it from rubbing against my bib. My wound got quite sore during the night. So, I will have to take another week off to wait until it is fully recovered because I need to keep the wound open to dry. In the meantime, I am frustrated because I am losing fitness and I am in bed most of the day. Oh well, hopefully, I can get the insurance covered in the week! 

Damage report does not look too bad: New shifters, handlebar tape and cable gear.

The handlebars survived the impact and would not need replacing.

I just hope my insurance with cover my cycling kit.

Archived