Backup required

Pretorim

I'm posting a pic of the damage - I need to mention this is a climber's bike, not aero. I'm lightweight @63Kg but admit I train and race hard (Strava brag- thread confirms!)

This is however my "Special" bike and I do most of my training on an older, similar bike to keep this one like new.

I spoke with someone in the know recently who confirm that the top tube definitely has forces pulling, especially working it on climbs, which might be a reason for the two directional crack.

Zoom the pic to see if there are any indication of external forces - I know there are many experts in the industry on this forum.

If I were taking a chance, I would've submitted an insurance claim..

Btw, I really don't want to name the brand yet, still hoping for an amicable solution. Besides, I honestly believe in the brand but unfortunately sometimes people disappoint people.

Seen a crack similar to that once.My friend over clamped his frame in a the repair stand.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it possible that your LBS or whoever works on your bike could have had it clamped in a workstand or caused the crack by some other means.?

I was washing my bike the other day and found the front derailleur clamp over-torqued with a nice crack in the seat tube. (thanks LBS)

Sorry but to me that also looks like it’s been in a clamp of some sorts.I think all manufacturers regardless of brand would not warranty that out of fear of opening a can of worms and the floodgates of warranties will open.

It will be interesting to hear if there is anyone on the hub that has had a warranty granted for a crack in that position on a mtb regardless of the brand.

Just as a side note.I know one brand that regularly checks strava stats on warranty claims.

It a bit difficult when you post you do almost 15000km/year and next day try give impression bike only gets ridden on Sundays

Just as a side note.I know one brand that regularly checks strava stats on warranty claims.

It a bit difficult when you post you do almost 15000km/year and next day try give impression bike only gets ridden on Sundays

Shouldn't matter really, frames are warrantied over a given period of time, not km's ridden.

And then what? 

Your options are

Accept the crash replacement if one was offered.

Go thru insurance

Bogus

Anyone suggesting you go the “ legal route” obviously never has and has no idea what the legal route costs.

(Go thru insurance and buy Colnago )

If you go the insurance route im sure it will be looked at by a assessors who generally are ex bike shop owners or ex cyclists who know their stuff . 

Your options are

Accept the crash replacement if one was offered.

Go thru insurance

Bogus

Anyone suggesting you go the “ legal route” obviously never has and has no idea what the legal route costs.

(Go thru insurance and buy Colnago )

I would go insurance route, if it's a reputable company like Cyclesure you will be sorted out in a matter of a day or two.

I agree with Stringbean here, the legal route is only a real option if you are out to prove a point and are ready to carry some serious legal costs should it not go your way.

I would have a quiet discussion with whomever built that bike up - definately looks like an overtightend stand damage to me - it will be cheaper to get it fixed than to worry about legal claims - by far - send it to Bogus_one and get it fixed and paint touched up and move on with your life - in the greater scheme of things it's not worth stressing about.

When my frame cracked and i was in a little debate with the manufacturers I took it to a gentleman by the name of Graham Kidson (referred to as Carbon Ninja.) He is a machine with carbon and can tell immediately the possible causes! Worth knowing whether to fight on in my opinion! Goodluck.

Archived