Santos Tour Down Under - 2018

Bonus

I personally believe the TDU route is too easy.(apart from the heat)

Having 5 flat stages and one mountain stage (also no ITT) waters down the achievement of winning GC. Though winning the individual flatter stages are a far better achievement due to the quality of the field participating.

It's very similar to 1 week stage races in the middle east, also with one mountain stage.(Qatar,Oman,Dubai)

That's why the one week stage races in EU are so great, 7 days with 5 days of climbing.

In short, Porte just sat in the field finishing in the bunch for 4 stages (5) and saved his legs for one climb (Willunga).

Where as Daryl was out fighting for 5 of the 6 stages, resulting in "Accidentally'' winning GC.

Thus he deserves it much more than Porte.

2019...ad another tough mountain stage.

I really like the format - it's one of the few "tours" where anyone can win - in the past it has been won by Greipel, Dennis, Porte, Rogers, Gerrans - completely different riders.

Maybe a nice 10-15km prologue or ITT in the middle would add to the "all rounder" reputation of the race.

It could be argued that "real" tours aren't a real indication of cycling ability because they're won by climbers (apart from the EPO years that is!).

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally believe the TDU route is too easy.(apart from the heat)

Having 5 flat stages and one mountain stage (also no ITT) waters down the achievement of winning GC. Though winning the individual flatter stages are a far better achievement due to the quality of the field participating.

It's very similar to 1 week stage races in the middle east, also with one mountain stage.(Qatar,Oman,Dubai)

That's why the one week stage races in EU are so great, 7 days with 5 days of climbing.

In short, Porte just sat in the field finishing in the bunch for 4 stages (5) and saved his legs for one climb (Willunga).

Where as Daryl was out fighting for 5 of the 6 stages, resulting in "Accidentally'' winning GC.

Thus he deserves it much more than Porte.

2019...ad another tough mountain stage.

Agree [emoji817]%. It's why Porte (and the other climbers) choose the riskier route of going for a big win on Willunga while the classics type rider has to win by placing well throughout the race. It's easier to do well in one stage than five. So even though Porte won a stage is he really that more deserving than Impey who came second three times and placed well during the other stages. So in reality one has to consider the race as a whole and not just stage wins.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

I think that maybe you guys take the TDU more seriously than they take themselves.

Its always been and supposed to be a fanfare and piss up for the riders and crowds just to have some fun. Lets not try and turn it into some "mini GT Dauphine wannabe" event.

I think that maybe you guys take the TDU more seriously than they take themselves.

Its always been and supposed to be a fanfare and piss up for the riders and crowds just to have some fun. Lets not try and turn it into some "mini GT Dauphine wannabe" event.

Every world tour race (one day or stage race) gets taken serious by the riders and the sponsors and the die hard fans. Whether it’s in Aus or Pofadder.

But yes. Its not a race to see the form of potential GT winners for the upcoming season.

Every world tour race (one day or stage race) gets taken serious by the riders and the sponsors and the die hard fans. Whether it’s in Aus or Pofadder.

But yes. Its not a race to see the form of potential GT winners for the upcoming season.

Yes.

It is also an odd one to judge riders form..every rider coming into the TDU has different objectives for the season.... some would be targeting the TDU while others use it as build up towards other objectives ..it doesn't mean they don't care about winning.. they do ..the guys are competitive and they have sponsor obligations to do their best, they just come into the TDU in different form.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes.

It is also an odd one to judge riders form..every rider coming into the TDU has different objectives for the season.... some would be targeting the TDU while others use it as build up towards other objectives ..it doesn't mean they don't care about winning.. they do ..the guys are competitive and they have sponsor obligations to do their best, they just come into the TDU in different form.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Pretty much. And like you said earlier in the thread it's a good way to see how the new additions to teams go. If they fit in or not. It's a race with an interesting dynamic and not much conclusions can actually be drawn from it. Not even for the Spring classics or the early season stage races. So if you will it kinda does lend itself towards being a carnival of sorts, one where spectators and cyclists can celebrate cycling. Which is what a season opener should be imho.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

thank you eddy  :clap:

In football it works similar, if you finish the log at the end of the season on equal points they look at head to head scores etc.

Why would you like the rules changed...............they all know the rules.....and ride accordingly..........................so what, if I may ask is the actual issue.? If the riders not happy with the rules.............then ride according to what will ensure you get the win. They have a team, back-up crew etc..............surely the rider knows what he has to do to ensure the win. Are you not happy Impey won the race?...........just asking.......

on the Cyclingnews podcast they rode with the Mitchelton Scott teamas they were reccing the course on stage 4.

Matt White said that their shot is to go for Darryl as an outsider to win the race, so they were focussing on doing well on this stage.

So far so good, he's in 3rd spot..but all the GC okes are just 6secs back

568ec9df07e185f0a4562474962eefc8.gif

I know I know, but you know what I mean....

I figure that the overall winner should be the guy who is best overall - Darryl finished higher (on the podium too!) on many more stages than Porte so fair is fair either way.

here are the UCI rules:

Regarding road stage races:

Where two or more riders make the same time in the general individual time placings, the fractions of a second registered during individual time trials (including the prologue) shall be added back into the total time to decide the order.

If the result is still tied or if there are no individual time trial stages the placings obtained in each stage shall be added and, as a last resort, the place obtained in the last stage ridden shall be taken into consideration...