[Event] Value Logistics Fast One 2018

Lostee

Turns out Froome is quicker on a training ride with considerably more km and climbing.

To put this into perspective: This ‘Fast One’ race was 96km and ONLY 600m climbing. Chris Froomes ‘training ride’ was 271km AND 3400m climbing.

Nolan Hoffman won @ an average speed = 44.2km/h

Chris Froome trained @ an average speed = 44.8km/h

Surely the gap between them can’t be that vast?

Fin

E Bike ??

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which Group did you start in? I might have been in the accident behind you. A guy cut in front of me when someone else in the group got a fright when a speeding car passed us. When I got back on my bike I saw guys with the same kit as him next to the road. Hope you heal up soon. 

Was off to a good start and at 13 km there was an accident just behind us. Someone then mentioned to the guy on my right that his friend had bailed. This guy next to me just reacted like a school kid and made a beeline for the side of the AT 45km / hr. Well this idiotic move wipe us both out . The result : Double fracture in shoulder and R20k in medical bills . The moral of the story : HOLD YOUR LINE , ,ALWAYS. If we were on the right hand side of the left hand lane when this stupid move happened we could both have been killed with the amount of Trucks passing the tightly packed peloton. COME ON!

Turns out Froome is quicker on a training ride with considerably more km and climbing.

To put this into perspective: This ‘Fast One’ race was 96km and ONLY 600m climbing. Chris Froomes ‘training ride’ was 271km AND 3400m climbing.

Fin

Motorpaced?

Fin

Ya , to be fair Froome was pacing behind a scooter .

Also , racing is very different to training .

Nolan is paid to win races when he is racing , not to see what his average speed is .

I started in the GL batch at 7.35am and my race came to an unceremonious end after 63km, after I suffered my third puncture of the race! I had used both my spare tubes and bombs, so I had no option but to bail after the third puncture.

https://youtu.be/_m1H4qvret0

so frustrating. JHB Glassy road & pothole capitol

Is it me or have the roads in the area got worse since the Race for Victory?

*** roads indeed. Must've been the rains we've had recently. I know a handful of people who have skipped this race because of the dangerous roads. 

AL was.....I don't know...

Nobody wanted to work to try and form a break-away or even attempt one despite me & some willing guys trying numerous times to do that.

Then, 2 Litys from the Juniors break away, then the guys work hard to bring them back, went on like that till the finish!

Nonetheless, racing was fast & hard.

Surges was the order of the day. This is normal for the first race of the year.

Stayed in the front, missed the crash/ punctures etc

Small area of potholes but roads were OK. Not much different from previous years.

Well organised.

Juniors rode better this year too.

Finished on 2:26, hopefully in top 10.

Got a SMS from Racetec saying I finished in 2:36  :cursing:

Seems, there is a 10 minutes issue/ delay with the results!

Nice meeting you mecheng!

Same mate! I see you had a nice club representation, congrats!

I sat at the front at least twice  :whistling: , damn hard work man.

I really really enjoyed the ride yesterday.  For me the only objective was to have a lekker day in the saddle with absolutely no intention to do anything other than reach the finish line.  Last time I participated in this event was in 2009 where there were just over 5500 entrants.  Good to be back on the bicycle again after a 4 year break, even if it means starting at the back :-)

Edited by Cactus

I have a rant, but not with the race organisers. With CSA and a particular tandem.

After about 18km one of the potential tandem winners had a puncture. As his wheel went flat I was next to him and I said sorry hard luck. But I knew he would catch up. Then a km later another contender for the win(the eventual winner) attacked. One mens tandem went with them. Then not much longer after that I attacked and took 2 mixed tandems with us. Then as I had predicted the guy that punctured caught us. He asked who was up ahead and how far. Then at about 70km The comms for VA comes up to us and says they are close, don't ride with them. VA come passed and what does this guy do? He jumps on. We obviously not happy about this but what can we do during the race. Then the chasing VA group comes passed and their was another comms behind them. We spoke to him and he said "ok". We obviously never saw this tandem again till after the race. Now I will be the first to admit that had he not punctured, He would have probably been 1st or 2nd and had he not punctured there would probably still have been a break and I would have gone with(the other tandem in the break has never beaten us before so we would have been able to stay with them) and if these top 4 mens tandems had come to a sprint he would probably would have still beaten us. BUT he did puncture and that's racing. Even if he had attacked us, he would have made it stick. So why use a vets group if you don't need to?

After the race we go chat to the 2 CSA comms that were with the VA group. The guy that we spoke to during the race that had been following the chase group said yes he saw this tandem slipping the chase group and he asked him 3 or 4 times to stop and he didn't so he must be DQ'd but the decision doesn't lie with him and we must chat to the chief comms(who was the guy following the VA break) We go to him and say that you told us not to follow VA yet one tandem did. He says he saw the tandem and told him to get out and he did. The other comms was there and said he obviously dropped back to the chase group where he asked a few times and was ignored. This is now where we really felt screwed. The chief comms tunes us, Had he not punctured he would have won the race so he was unlucky today and no DQ will be made.

Now like I said, Yes if no puncture he would have been 1st or 2nd and the race would have been different and we would have been fighting for 3rd whereas once the breaks had been established we had to settle for 4th. But that response from CSA with regards to blatant cheating is just pathetic. I probably shouldn't but I will add this because I am super pissed off. This guy has had a drug bust before quite a few years ago at SA champs which he won on a single bike. After his ban ended he has never raced singles again..............

Rant off

Anybody know when racetec results will be out? Tracking only picked me up on middle mat? Weird...

I have not received my result as yet. Have you?

Results are up

Incorrect for a few of us, that started in later batches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VB times are all off. The top 6 all finished together in a sprint(spinnekop was one of them and I was at the finish line when they came over) but it shows them spread out over a minute.

So I contacted Racetec, who promised to upload results today. 

I dont care about the timing so much, but need those vitality points

I have a rant, but not with the race organisers. With CSA and a particular tandem.

After about 18km one of the potential tandem winners had a puncture. As his wheel went flat I was next to him and I said sorry hard luck. But I knew he would catch up. Then a km later another contender for the win(the eventual winner) attacked. One mens tandem went with them. Then not much longer after that I attacked and took 2 mixed tandems with us. Then as I had predicted the guy that punctured caught us. He asked who was up ahead and how far. Then at about 70km The comms for VA comes up to us and says they are close, don't ride with them. VA come passed and what does this guy do? He jumps on. We obviously not happy about this but what can we do during the race. Then the chasing VA group comes passed and their was another comms behind them. We spoke to him and he said "ok". We obviously never saw this tandem again till after the race. Now I will be the first to admit that had he not punctured, He would have probably been 1st or 2nd and had he not punctured there would probably still have been a break and I would have gone with(the other tandem in the break has never beaten us before so we would have been able to stay with them) and if these top 4 mens tandems had come to a sprint he would probably would have still beaten us. BUT he did puncture and that's racing. Even if he had attacked us, he would have made it stick. So why use a vets group if you don't need to?

After the race we go chat to the 2 CSA comms that were with the VA group. The guy that we spoke to during the race that had been following the chase group said yes he saw this tandem slipping the chase group and he asked him 3 or 4 times to stop and he didn't so he must be DQ'd but the decision doesn't lie with him and we must chat to the chief comms(who was the guy following the VA break) We go to him and say that you told us not to follow VA yet one tandem did. He says he saw the tandem and told him to get out and he did. The other comms was there and said he obviously dropped back to the chase group where he asked a few times and was ignored. This is now where we really felt screwed. The chief comms tunes us, Had he not punctured he would have won the race so he was unlucky today and no DQ will be made.

Now like I said, Yes if no puncture he would have been 1st or 2nd and the race would have been different and we would have been fighting for 3rd whereas once the breaks had been established we had to settle for 4th. But that response from CSA with regards to blatant cheating is just pathetic. I probably shouldn't but I will add this because I am super pissed off. This guy has had a drug bust before quite a few years ago at SA champs which he won on a single bike. After his ban ended he has never raced singles again..............

Rant off

CSA are really useless, and as for the rider, once a cheat, always a cheat.

I also don't understand this whole new thing of having a racing license for tandems, especially in the year they decide not to have tandems at provincials and SAs as they say there is not enough demand. If they are forcing licenses, then there is a demand, another example of their uselessness.

If they want to split the tandems, then use the seeding of the riders to get the split.

There are now going to be some fast tandems coming through the field and there are going be riders from the alphabet soup trying to hang on and causing accidents.

Look at the new "100 cycle Challenge" race in May where CSA are managing the entries, no tandem category either.

Also, the complete silence from CSA around the licensing for tandems is another example of them doing what they want to without communicating with the cycling community.

Which Group did you start in? I might have been in the accident behind you. A guy cut in front of me when someone else in the group got a fright when a speeding car passed us. When I got back on my bike I saw guys with the same kit as him next to the road. Hope you heal up soon.

Thank you. I was in the front bunch of FL ( still a very big bunch at around 13km where the accident took place). There was a car ( I thought it was a truck) that flew past and at the exact time an accident took place . Then 5 secs later this guy in orange took me out. There were others in orange that were apparently involved in first accident too. I was very offish towards the guy who was extremely apologetic. I forgive him as it was an accident but what he did was extremely dangerous and stupid. I hope he is ok.

Thank you. I was in the front bunch of FL ( still a very big bunch at around 13km where the accident took place). There was a car ( I thought it was a truck) that flew past and at the exact time an accident took place . Then 5 secs later this guy in orange took me out. There were others in orange that were apparently involved in first accident too. I was very offish towards the guy who was extremely apologetic. I forgive him as it was an accident but what he did was extremely dangerous and stupid. I hope he is ok.

Jip, that was me involved at the back. Ours was not caused by the orange guy though.