Hijacking near Harties . . .

Bonus

The bit I don't understand is surely there is no value in a top end stolen smart phone eg apple, the phone is going to get locked out and frozen and is potentially traceable.  You certainly wouldnt be able to re-set your own iphone without all the codes. Is there a way that they can crack them or are various android phones easier to reset and sell on?

my understanding is that you can reset iPhone to factory settings and use it. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bit I don't understand is surely there is no value in a top end stolen smart phone eg apple, the phone is going to get locked out and frozen and is potentially traceable.  You certainly wouldnt be able to re-set your own iphone without all the codes. Is there a way that they can crack them or are various android phones easier to reset and sell on?

Even if the iPhone is iCloud locked they have ways of getting around it these days, bought an iPad Pro from a individual who bought it on "Auction".

Serial number on the device was from an 2011 iPod confronted the seller and fortunately got a refund.

Only after 2 levels of password protection (well for me at any rate)

because it's monday I'll try and ask this nicely.

I'm an optimist but I'll never understand why people thank their chosen deity when something really bad happens to them. I prefer to be grateful for good stuff.

because it's monday I'll try and ask this nicely.

I'm an optimist but I'll never understand why people thank their chosen deity when something really bad happens to them. I prefer to be grateful for good stuff.

1 Perhaps you should check what deity means.

2 Perhaps you should keep your religious opinions for yourself. - We all know how this will end

1 Perhaps you should check what deity means.

2 Perhaps you should keep your religious opinions for yourself. - We all know how this will end

starting with #1, if your intention was to confuse me - you have succeeded!

deity
ˈdeɪɪti,ˈdiːɪti/
noun

1. a god or goddess (in a polytheistic religion).
    "a deity of ancient Greece"
    synonyms: god, goddess, divine being, celestial being, supreme being, divinityimmortalMore

• divine status, quality, or nature.
      "a ruler driven by delusions of deity"
    • the creator and supreme being (in a monotheistic religion such as Christianity).
      noun: Deity; noun: the Deity
      "she raised her head as if appealing to the Deity presiding over the church"

Apparently there is a component in the phone that can be replaced, dont know the technical description of it off hand but when it has been done the phone is the equivalent of a new device as far as the networks and manufacturers are concerned.

Saw a description of this on some netflix doccie, they bring in a box of these chips from china, stick them in the stolen phone and they can log on as new devices.

Was surprised at this also as I thought the phones have serial numbers etc but logically all the serial numbers etc are stored on a chipset (component) in the phone.