Garmin Edge or Wahoo Elemnt (or other??)

dawnh100

There is a cable available to charge the unit without interrupting the ride. The guys that have done Everest challenges use it a your ride has to be continuous. I think its generally available at tech shops,

You don't need a special cable. I plug my 820 directly into a small Red E powerbank (using the powerbank cable)and it charges the Garmin very quickly. Doesn't interrupt recording or turn the device off when you unplug it.

There is a cable available to charge the unit without interrupting the ride. The guys that have done Everest challenges use it a your ride has to be continuous. I think its generally available at tech shops,

You dont need a special cable in order to do this. The Garmin cable that comes in the box provides both power and data and as long as you have a decent Power Bank it will charge at the same time while you use it.

EasyBike

So, we're starting to dabble in the ultra MTB races (and I'm a value for money rider - so assume 16+ odd hours for the near-future) and some of that is self navigation.  Because my Garmin Fenix is definitely NOT going to last that long when in navigation mode - I'm thinking of buying a bike GPS computer.  

Question is: in terms of user experience, value for money, BATTERY LIFE, which one is the "best" one? 

The Garmin Edge 1030 has extra battery life, but is seriously expensive and I'm having issues with the Garmin watch distance and elevation accuracy as it is. 

Any opinions welcome!  

Hi there, 

I'm from Wahoo locally and would love to know who your local bike shop is and try and get a demo or loan unit for you to try out. Local athletes who are raving about the ELEMNT includes Andrew Mclean, James Cunnama, Philip Buys, Alan Hatherly and the like. 

As these guys are at the lead of the bunch on and off road the navigation plays a critical role... I would say most of them find their way to the finish line without trouble, usually in first place.

If you have any specific questions on the brand please do not hesitate to ask. 

Your local Wahooligan

Christian

Newer units can charge continuously with normal cable

Older units (500) needed a otg cable

Hi there, 

I'm from Wahoo locally and would love to know who your local bike shop is and try and get a demo or loan unit for you to try out. Local athletes who are raving about the ELEMNT includes Andrew Mclean, James Cunnama, Philip Buys, Alan Hatherly and the like. 

As these guys are at the lead of the bunch on and off road the navigation plays a critical role... I would say most of them find their way to the finish line without trouble, usually in first place.

If you have any specific questions on the brand please do not hesitate to ask. 

Your local Wahooligan

Christian

Hi Christian, 

LBS is Bicycle Boffs in Bryanston - a demo unit would be awesome, and very much appreciated! I've never really ridden with a computer - so it would be fantastic to try out all of the features before signing a chq. 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Christian,

LBS is Bicycle Boffs in Bryanston - a demo unit would be awesome, and very much appreciated! I've never really ridden with a computer - so it would be fantastic to try out all of the features before signing a chq.

Thanks!

If you’re still signing cheques, maybe a paper map would be more suitable - [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really love the look of the Elemnt Bolt. 

But at the end of the day, I think I will be sticking to Garmin.

The after service support is the best in the business. No other brand gives you the option to upgrade to a newer unit if your unit goes faulty.

If you’re still signing cheques, maybe a paper map would be more suitable - [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

true story!!  

Pity we never heard back from the every enthusiastic salesman though... Guess I will never know if they accept my cheque :)