Gravel Bike / Cyclocross Bike

RidinDirty2

Hello Hubbers,

I'm looking at buying a gravel- or cyclocross bike to fart around with. What is the cheapest possible bike I could buy new? Not looking for the lightest or prettiest bike..

I saw GT made one but I'n not sure what its called?

Your advice will be appreciated..

Regards

Tiaan

Edited by RidinDirty2

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuji Cross is probably your best bet. Used to see them at Cyclelab, but can't find it on the website at the moment.

I purchased a Planet X London Road for far less than any of these available. Frame alone was less than three grand.  Have to build it up yourself.

Bargain.

Edited by Sepia

I purchased a Planet X London Road for far less than any of these available. Frame alone was less than three grand.  Have to build it up yourself.

Bargain.

Sounds good, can 29'er mtb wheels work on such a frame? Then the build shouldn't work out more than R10k?

Sounds good, can 29'er mtb wheels work on such a frame? Then the build shouldn't work out more than R10k?

I run 29 wheels and use road tubeless or MTB 1.8 on the different rims.

Picked up decent 9sp stuff on the Hub and it all came in under R7000 easily.

I did have bits and pieces lying about which helped.

The bike is to my liking and fitting. Would not swap it for a TCX now although this is what I wanted initially.  Thank goodness Giant didn't want to bring one in for me.

I run 29 wheels and use road tubeless or MTB 1.8 on the different rims.

Picked up decent 9sp stuff on the Hub and it all came in under R7000 easily.

I did have bits and pieces lying about which helped.

The bike is to my liking and fitting. Would not swap it for a TCX now although this is what I wanted initially.  Thank goodness Giant didn't want to bring one in for me.

Sounds like this is what I'm looking for, would love to build it myself too. Who imported the frame for you?

29er wheels are 700c wheels....

Just be careful if you go tubeless. A lot of MTB rims aren't made to hold such high air pressure. It shouldn't be an issue but just be aware if you try to pump things up to 5 bar.

There is also the Alu on one CX bike which goes all in for 200 ounds. Itlooks awesome.

They were having a sale on their carbon frame for 399, so if you have road bits and some wheels, throw in some panaracer tires with the order and boom!

Epic super light awesome bike for as cheap as you would get a new ready made one here

Bargain.

Have a mate in EXACTLY this quandry... what are you doing for brakes?

Hello Hubbers,

I'm looking at buying a gravel- or cyclocross bike to fart around with. What is the cheapest possible bike I could buy new? Not looking for the lightest or prettiest bike..

I saw GT made one but I'n not sure what its called?

Your advice will be appreciated..

Regards

Tiaan

I bought a GT GTR on The Hub a couple of months ago and really enjoy riding it. Bought it to use on the Swartberg Gran Fondo - really cheap and an excellent bike.

I bought a GT GTR on The Hub a couple of months ago and really enjoy riding it. Bought it to use on the Swartberg Gran Fondo - really cheap and an excellent bike.

Where can these be bought new?

Bargain.

How did you get it for that price?

If I factor in purchase, shipping and VAT costs the frame comes in at close to R7000?

Where can these be bought new?

Cant be bought new but they come up now and again. Everyone I know who has one swears by them.