Carbon wheelset for Road Bike, help needed?

AllAboutRides

Merida Reacto /Ultegra Groupset but ally wheels

Nice!

So the next upgrade could well be carbon wheels. But that's a big money thing. If you do get carbon wheels keep the Ali's so you can sell the bike with the old wheels.

Merida Reacto /Ultegra Groupset but ally wheels

LOL, same bike. The standard wheel that come with the Reacto are 35mm alu wheels but are plenty heavy. They roll beautifully though.

I bought some carbon wheels and bonus, they had Powertap too! 

My honest opinion - they flex, they roll superbly, they brake like poo, the weight advantage isn't as big as one might hope, they accelerate even better than they roll. I thought I was going to fly up the hills, I didn't.  They look the business. 

My honest opinion, it really depends on the area you train and race in. Incline dominant topography, you're better suited to some premium alu wheels like Mavics or Shimano Ultegra wheelset. 

Zipp 303's or Vision Metron 40's... Just do it.

These guys are all just being reasonable. Dropping 30k on a set of 40mm carbon clinchers will make your bike look rad.

Hell what clinchers are you buying that cost 30k

Thanks for all your advice and YES I did some research regarding carbon wheel I just wasn’t sure about all these different sizes.

As mentioned I’m new to road riding and really excited about the new adventure therefor I asked all the question to get info from guys that know the game.

I’ve got a decent set of Vision 40 Metron

LOL, same bike. The standard wheel that come with the Reacto are 35mm alu wheels but are plenty heavy. They roll beautifully though.

My honest opinion - they flex, they roll superbly, they brake like poo, the weight advantage isn't as big as one might hope, they accelerate even better than they roll. I thought I was going to fly up the hills, I didn't.  They look the business. 

My honest opinion, it really depends on the area you train and race in. Incline dominant topography, you're better suited to some premium alu wheels like Mavics or Shimano Ultegra wheelset.

Thanks! How do you find the bike and which one do you have?

Hi Hubbers

I’m new to road biking and recently got told that the only thing I need to upgrade on road bike is the wheels.

Carbon wheels 40mm....please I dont understand this mm thing / deep section or carbon clincher stuff.

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding carbon wheels and what difference it will make?

Any advice or help will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Hey Riaan

Ive just read about alot of things that have said everything but answer your questions.........

Some are legit statements and some not so much. To answer your questions

1- the "mm" 30,40,50 60, 80 what ever the case, is the the depth of the rim( 80mm are more like mags and not rims)

2- "Deep Section" is just a term used for wheels with more profile.....ie more mm than your standard wheelset.

3- You get 2 types of rims 

• clincher is a term used for a rim that uses the conventional tyre and tube system.
  • tubby(tubular) rims use special tyres that use no tube. The tyre is glued onto the rim( very good for racing if you have a back up vechile, not so good for a Sunday outride as if you get a puncture and your tyre has no sealant, lets just say it will be a very long wait.)

4- You also get carbon rims with 2 different breaking surfaces

• alu breaking surface-uses normal break pads
  • carbon breaking surface-you will need to carbon specific break pads(work just as good as alu when dry but when wet, breaking can be very tricky)

Lastly.....if you have the money, go for it, you will feel a MASSIVE difference, as long as you not buying unknown items. Go for the more well known......ZIPP, Vittoria, Token etc........

THIS is the bit that many dont get ....

The "mass" is not the big thing, not for rotating components.  The real advantage is in the "radial acceleration" of the rotating masses.  It takes a LOT more energy to accelerate 250 grams of rotational mass than 250 grams of dead weight "on the frame" (non rotating parts).

the next thing to consider is the "radius of gyration" .... saving 100 gram of rotational mass from an Eagle GX to the XX1 has no where the same "energy" benefit than saving even 50 gram along the hoop of a wheel set.  Ironically people often buy a super lightweight hoop, just to buy a heavier tire .... 

And it is this very energy saving during acceleration that makes you "feel" better when riding a bike with super light weight rotational components.

BUT - once up to speed there is NO difference where you saved that weight !  

Obviously the racing snake will save every gram on every component.  But for the weekend racer the benefits are not that obvious ..... well, same technical benefits, but not that critical ....

PS - NONE of the above detracts from the VISUAL benefits though ....  :thumbup:   :devil:

Archived