If you had 10k to spend on wheelset

Mamil

Thanks Eldron - 100kg weight limit? If I had a second helping at the buffet and one too many beers I'd be over that limit unfortunately.

Lot of love for Campy wheels here.

Thanks for input all.

Yup - you have a smidge more space for buffet helpings with Campy wheels: https://www.campagnolo.com/JP/en/Support/what_are_the_weight_limits_of_the_wheels_where_can_i_find_the_weight_limits_allowed_by_the_wheels

Beware - not many wheels are made for >100kg South Africans!

Guy somewhere in the classifieds selling Mystique carbon wheels with built-in Powertap. Winner. 

For 10k I would definitely buy a set of Campy Zonda or Eurus.

I have both and they are the best you can get for that budget.

Campy wheels are good. Also strong. But spokes/rims are pricey if you need to replace. I would definitely look at getting a wider rim, 17-18mm inside width. Those go well with 25mm tyres if your frame as the clearance as the tyres tend to run bigger than 25mm, around 27-28mm which helps in giving a much better ride.

If you don’t mind going the chinese route, which I would do, there are some good rims/wheelsets availble for your budget. Also you would then be able to build a stronger wheelset for your weight with 24/28 spokes. Nextie for example offer a 3 year warranty for their premium carbon tubeless rim

Do Hunt wheels have a south African distributor? Check those if you are heavier.

Or find a wheel builder that will build you wheels with high spoke count, these off the rack wheels not good for us fatties.

Don't know about all these weight limits to be honest. Reckon there's a fair deal of fat built into those limits..

Don't know about all these weight limits to be honest. Reckon there's a fair deal of fat built into those limits..

Fair point but 2 counter points.

Most wheels are European and made by wee men who don't understand the terms line out, prop or lock ????

Wheels, forks and bars are components you don't want to be guessing safety margins with!!

Prime carbon clinchers (ChainReactionCycles) under 10k. Just bought a set for myself. They are awesome! 

Archived