Tool for removing cassette

Dirkitech

Hi All,

I have a new cassette that I'd like to fit, but I do not have the right tools. I read that I need a special key-nut to fit the lock ring and a chain tool to keep the cassette from rotating while turning the key-nut.

I was hoping someone on the hub could please advise me where I could purchase these tools in the Alberton or Randburg area, and what the estimated price might be. Does the tool quality make a difference when removing or putting a cassette on?

If it matters, the cassette in question is a SRAM PG970

key nut internet pic:
post-51185-0-01042500-1520008355.jpg

chain tool internet pic:
post-51185-0-66356200-1520008363_thumb.jpg

hi there Sportsmans warehouse has a reasonably priced range of tools including the chain whip and cassette  lock ring remover 

I'm in Alberton and have the tools necessary to help you out. PM me for my details.

Otherwise, if you're looking for the tools specifically, you can try Cycle Hub, Just Cycles, both near Alberton

Remember you need the Chain Whip tool along with the nut remover.

Best chainwhip i have used is the Pedro's chainvice its awesome.

That is Campy lockring tool, the SRAM Shimano one has metal shaft that protrudes from the front and slides into the axle

buy the tools ... it is one of those you never think you will use again, but you do the more you learn to fiddle on your bike

buy the tools ... it is one of those you never think you will use again, but you do the more you learn to fiddle on your bike

I have a little Ice Tools box with a whole bunch of tools. I bought it along it with the Park Tool book. It's good fun to strip and clean and grease everything up (including myself  :ph34r:). Only good can come from it, and the more you know the easier everything is.

I have a little Ice Tools box with a whole bunch of tools. I bought it along it with the Park Tool book. It's good fun to strip and clean and grease everything up (including myself  :ph34r:). Only good can come from it, and the more you know the easier everything is.

Also prefer to buy these tools and to be able to do most stuff at home .....

That is Campy lockring tool, the SRAM Shimano one has metal shaft that protrudes from the front and slides into the axle

Not all Shimano/SRAM tools have the shaft.

Not all Shimano/SRAM tools have the shaft.

The same cassette lockring remover is used to install the charger damper in a rockshox lyrik, and for that you need the one without the shaft.

I'd like to thank everyone for their good input- I learnt slightly more than just replacing a cassette from this thread :clap:

I'm in Alberton and have the tools necessary to help you out. PM me for my details.

Otherwise, if you're looking for the tools specifically, you can try Cycle Hub, Just Cycles, both near Alberton

and a big thank you Flippa for letting me bring my wheel and cassette and showing me the ropes. The cassette on my wheel happened to be WAAYYY too tight and loosening it was a good trial.

I have both tools available for you at R95 each - http://www.tri-cycles.net/workshop/

Unfortunately courier costs add around R80 to that (unless you find some more tools you need  :whistling: )

Thank you for the link. I see there are several good pieces to get- hopefully by next paycheck!

• 9 months later...

What is the trick with removing the SRAM GX cassette ?

I have the tools, and have removed many Shimano cassettes.

Watched many YouTube videos ....

But the SRAM GX cassette is TIGHT !!  I know how much effort it took to remove the Shimano cassettes, but the SRAM does not even budge ....

I dont want to resort to a powerbar and end with expensive school fees ....

What is the trick with removing the SRAM GX cassette ?

I have the tools, and have removed many Shimano cassettes.

Watched many YouTube videos ....

But the SRAM GX cassette is TIGHT !!  I know how much effort it took to remove the Shimano cassettes, but the SRAM does not even budge ....

I dont want to resort to a powerbar and end with expensive school fees ....

stop take a deep breath and ask yourself in a quiet calm way "am i trying to turn this in the correct direction ?"  ^_^  

Archived