Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

Not disagreeing with you, they have let it go to long without any maintenance

Was there yesterday morning and have to agree with the poor maintenance of the trail. I wonder if the management should have an open weekend where they encourage people to have free access to the trails and assist with the maintenance?

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Topic hijack . I would like to cycle to Modderfontein Reserve some Saturdays to do 5km park run for Vitality points!

I stay in Woodmead. I’m think of taking Northway (Kelvin) and left onto Marlboro and over N3 highway towards the reserve. Is the route safe after the bridge over N3?

Have you done it yet? I have ridden those roads plenty with just my toppie and he currently rides there alone most weekends. I would assume you would just carry on straight up the hill towards busamed? Turn right just before the hospital and then go left at the next stop? If you know someone that lives in Fish eagle view you could get into the reserve from the complex as the have a gate by their pool.

Have you done it yet? I have ridden those roads plenty with just my toppie and he currently rides there alone most weekends. I would assume you would just carry on straight up the hill towards busamed? Turn right just before the hospital and then go left at the next stop? If you know someone that lives in Fish eagle view you could get into the reserve from the complex as the have a gate by their pool.

Not yet. Will drive the route this saturday as im planning to collect my Jeppe Marathon race entry after the park run

Maybe we should all Contact Two the core events and complain a bit, maybe it will help.

i've dropped them several messages since last year. not a peep back. good luck if it works

I took someone there that's not been in a long time and he only rode the green route and he also said there were parts of the trail where you can only point in the general direction you think the trail is and pedal.

We don't expect manicured lawns but on a green beginner friendly route the trails should be rideable.

Sadly leaving maintenance of bike trails to an events company seems the wrong course to take.

Rode Modders yesterday.

Very little has changed from last week regarding additional maintenance on the single track...

The first little single track section as you pass the entrance on your left has been mowed. Really hard to see where else has been mowed except for the Park Run route.

The section between the reeds on both sides is very difficult to pass through. In 2 weeks time, it won't be worth using this section.

I think we all understand that this is a big park to maintain, especially with the rain at the moment, but surely there must be some progress by now. Can't blame December and January anymore.

Are these people responsible for the maintenance still? Perhaps they and help us understand what's going on...

post-47220-0-81183200-1580990917_thumb.png

I don't ride @ Modders until about late March/ early April , It's been the same story for the last 5 years.

When the rain and the heat comes they just can't cope. Once they have a few races then it improves for the rest of the year.

Maintenance cuts into the profits.

I see the latest Fullsuss newspaper page 14 advertises trails in Gauteng indicates that entrance to modders is free - Might be a typo though

With regards to the trails, at the moment there are some sections that still need a cut, there is still plenty of trails to ride - did a 20km ride there on Wednesday and was great.

With regards to the back entrance - they are building a new road into the back (by riders ablution block) - I'm hoping this new entrance will be up soon.

The new entrance is to cater for the Farmers Market that is moving into Modders - it looks like the Fourways Farmers Market that is relocating to Modders.

It also looks like they are extending the parking to cater for the extra expected people that will be attending the market - not sure how this will affect the riders yet.

I see the latest Fullsuss newspaper page 14 advertises trails in Gauteng indicates that entrance to modders is free - Might be a typo though

Must be a typo, R50 entrance for riders

• 2 weeks later...

Did a green loop yesterday with a little bit of the yellow loop, a fair bit of work has been done, but on the 2nd turn off for the yellow loop, Yellow Hartebees reverse I think it is, there are patches where you literally cant see past your front wheel, not pleasant or safe, the slow reeds have been cut back nicely, so I was really excited about doing the fast reeds, what a let down, still very much overgrown, reeds slapping you in the face and arms, again, not pleasant or safe, from there on the trails where pretty good, but a lot of work still needs to be done

Did a green loop yesterday with a little bit of the yellow loop, a fair bit of work has been done, but on the 2nd turn off for the yellow loop, Yellow Hartebees reverse I think it is, there are patches where you literally cant see past your front wheel, not pleasant or safe, the slow reeds have been cut back nicely, so I was really excited about doing the fast reeds, what a let down, still very much overgrown, reeds slapping you in the face and arms, again, not pleasant or safe, from there on the trails where pretty good, but a lot of work still needs to be done

I did the Red route on Saturday and apart from a  hundred metres of overgrown path on the section that goes up through the fence I thought the track was normal. My thoughts during this section were - we complain when the tracks are not "technical" enough to challenge our awesome skills and then complain when we don't have Sani2C manicured perfection.

Edited by I FLY

Hey Marelise, went their last night. Have to thank Judas at the gate for always being friendly

and the park being open on a Wednesday night.

Still very overgrown because of the rain. Thank goodness the reeds have been cut.

Only concern is yellow singletrack from the Parkrun entrance gate. Badly rutted and traction poor

due to recent rain. Had to be really careful.

With possible rain forecast for Saturday the Land Rover event is going to be interesting.

Remember. Let's be careful out there.

Hey Marelise, went their last night. Have to thank Judas at the gate for always being friendly

and the park being open on a Wednesday night.

Still very overgrown because of the rain. Thank goodness the reeds have been cut.

Only concern is yellow singletrack from the Parkrun entrance gate. Badly rutted and traction poor

due to recent rain. Had to be really careful.

With possible rain forecast for Saturday the Land Rover event is going to be interesting.

Remember. Let's be careful out there.

Good to hear Reeds sections have been cut! Was taking a beating there !

I did the Red route on Saturday and apart from a  hundred metres of overgrown path on the section that goes up through the fence I thought the track was normal. My thoughts during this section were - we complain when the tracks are not "technical" enough to challenge our awesome skills and then complain when we don't have Sani2C manicured perfection.

If you ride there regularly, you'll know how awesome this park can be, if maintained to a standard!

Sadly this standard has not been there in recent memory...

BUT ....Winter in coming!!!