Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

Very disappointing to see. Hopefully early days still.

I am sure, there is signs of cutting but they need to change it up a bit, maybe go back to old direction, let's give them time, let's see after winter.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure, there is signs of cutting but they need to change it up a bit, maybe go back to old direction, let's give them time, let's see after winter.

The 'old' direction isn't how it was originally. The way it is now is how it was like 7 years ago. I think it is much better. Especially for weekend morning rides. The open exposed stuff is done first while the sun is low. 

I think changing direction perhaps once a year is a good thing - It keeps things interesting and stops the same old trails getting monotonous. Personally i think they should nuke the trails with weed and grass killer maybe a meter on each side this would reduce the amount of trail maintenance and they could focus on trail building.

But then i suppose the greenies will step in and start a riot

But then i suppose the greenies will step in and start a riot

This.

Maybe people should try and be a bit more reasonable... Modder is a big green area and an outdoor nature reserve. We have had a LOT of rain and things tend to grow when it rains!  What do you expect? 

Imagine having to cut and trim 30-40 Kms of weed every week just so a few handfuls of prima donnas can pop around and do their Sunday cruise... all for a few ZAR. I know I wouldn't do it for that money.

Also, it is MTBing...  so don't expect a hand trimmed snooker table laid out in a Zen fashion to accommodate your stylish attire...

#CoronaQuarantine 

No one is expecting a perfectly manicured trail, a rideable trail is perfectly adequate where one can see where one is going is what we want. This is especially valid when one is being charged for the privilege of using said trails

No one is expecting a perfectly manicured trail, a rideable trail is perfectly adequate where one can see where one is going is what we want. This is especially valid when one is being charged for the privilege of using said trails

This.

Maybe people should try and be a bit more reasonable... Modder is a big green area and an outdoor nature reserve. We have had a LOT of rain and things tend to grow when it rains!  What do you expect? 

Imagine having to cut and trim 30-40 Kms of weed every week just so a few handfuls of prima donnas can pop around and do their Sunday cruise... all for a few ZAR. I know I wouldn't do it for that money.

Also, it is MTBing...  so don't expect a hand trimmed snooker table laid out in a Zen 

Are you on the maintenance team by any chance? 

Go ride there on Tuesday and let us know if you will spend a couple of ZAR on a “Sunday Cruise”. 

Edited by trevez

Hi Everyone (New Management).

I am Shaun from TAROKO TRAIL PARK (Modderfontein Nature Reserve). I have taken over the management of the trails and outdoor facilities. Some of you might know me from TRAILWOLF CYCLES (https://web.facebook.com/trailwolfcycles/  or https://www.instagram.com/trailwolfcycles/ )  where I am one of the managing directors.

FIRSTLY: Origin of the name Taroko. This development will be called "TAROKO" and the name comes from the National Park in Taiwan, follow the link and you will understand why this name.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taroko_National_Park . We are busy developing an outdoor & lifestyle hub where the old "Val Bonne" use to be and keeping all the original buildings with its rich history. The food & beverage and relating events fall under "Fourways Farmers Market" hence all the building material you would see lying around. All of this will be cleaned up soon. There will be a website coming soon with all the information regarding events and park facilities and I will share this with you when it's up and running.

The vision for Taroko is to become a place where families gather and enjoy the outdoors. This is where my role comes in. We wil be creating an environment with various activities for the whole family to enjoy together. Knowing that out top priority is cycling and off-course my speciality.  

SECONDLY: I want to apologize for all the uncertainty the last few weeks and I all the rumours going around. I took over the facility on 1st of March 2020. I went for a ride to plan a few changes that were in the pipeline according to my planning done in February, only notice all the trail signs have been removed. Having no signage was a safety risk for our riders and especially for new riders at Modderfontein. Needles to say, making new temporary signs and planting close to 150 gum poles wasn't an easy task and trying to cut open overgrown trails. The park is open but as some of you noticed it is heavily overgrown and the rain is not helping. (Although we are thankful for the rain)

THIRDLY: The plan going forward. We are jumping into the trails with all our focus to clean it up completely ASAP. After this we will continue the cleaning but start working on advance trail maintenance to improve the riding experience and quality. We will then also start making changes to the route to accommodate beginner riders and kids. We will also develop a new start to your ride as an alternative to the start with the long tar climb as some riders in the area have shared the same challenge. All of this takes time but we can assure you it will be worth the wait. 

PARK FEES: All the fees will stay the same going forward for 2020. Unfortunately the bulk tickets that the previous operator sold can only be used until end March 2020. I know this will be a problem for many but this needs to be taken up with the company who sold them to you as we are not linked. Multipark from Cycle Lab is still active and if anything changes we will communicate the changes. 

Going forward we will sell year passes that allow you unlimited access to the park for the calendar year ending December 2020. This fee will be adjusted for this year as we are 3 months in and I will only have it available end April.

Wednesday Night Rides: Currently off until further notice due to COVID-19. I will continue this idea and also mark the trail signs with reflective tape. I am busy with some planning around this to make it more formal and social also create a specific night ride loop. 

COVID-19: I want to encourage everyone using the trails to enter and exit the park as you have finished your ride or run. We want to reduce social gathering, even in the parking area. Please help us and your fellow trail users to stay safe in this time. We will also comply to any further instructions given by the President with regards to public facilities during this time. I will post on our Facebook and Instagram if we close the park.

TOILETS: Some of you might have seen we gave the toilets a fresh coat of paint and fixed all the plumbing. One problem currently, we cant find toiletpaper, hand soap or sanitiser. Please let me know if any of you know where to find stock so we can keep the toilets clean and COVID-19 free.

CHRIS: Some of you will know him, the man washing the bikes and all round champ and passionate about helping where he can and the trail boss. He will continue with us on our new adventure.

Please stay up to date by following us on Facebook ( https://web.facebook.com/tarokotrails/ ) and Instagram ( https://www.instagram.com/tarokotrails/ ) for all the latest updates.

Email: info@tarokotrails.co.za

Phone or Whatsapp : 0813511223

Please drop us a pin and image of any major maintenance needed in the park. This way we can keep it in mint condition. I ride the trails weekly for the same reasons.

Kind Regards,

TAROKO TRAIL PARK at Modderfontein Nature Reserve.

Very positive feedback thank you, I trust you will cater for the more experiences rider as well as the beginner rider, can not wait to see/experience all the changes.

Hi Everyone (New Management).

I am Shaun from TAROKO TRAIL PARK (Modderfontein Nature Reserve). I have taken over the management of the trails and outdoor facilities. Some of you might know me from TRAILWOLF CYCLES (https://web.facebook.com/trailwolfcycles/  or https://www.instagram.com/trailwolfcycles/ )  where I am one of the managing directors.

FIRSTLY: Origin of the name Taroko. This development will be called "TAROKO" and the name comes from the National Park in Taiwan, follow the link and you will understand why this name.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taroko_National_Park . We are busy developing an outdoor & lifestyle hub where the old "Val Bonne" use to be and keeping all the original buildings with its rich history. The food & beverage and relating events fall under "Fourways Farmers Market" hence all the building material you would see lying around. All of this will be cleaned up soon. There will be a website coming soon with all the information regarding events and park facilities and I will share this with you when it's up and running.

The vision for Taroko is to become a place where families gather and enjoy the outdoors. This is where my role comes in. We wil be creating an environment with various activities for the whole family to enjoy together. Knowing that out top priority is cycling and off-course my speciality.  

SECONDLY: I want to apologize for all the uncertainty the last few weeks and I all the rumours going around. I took over the facility on 1st of March 2020. I went for a ride to plan a few changes that were in the pipeline according to my planning done in February, only notice all the trail signs have been removed. Having no signage was a safety risk for our riders and especially for new riders at Modderfontein. Needles to say, making new temporary signs and planting close to 150 gum poles wasn't an easy task and trying to cut open overgrown trails. The park is open but as some of you noticed it is heavily overgrown and the rain is not helping. (Although we are thankful for the rain)

THIRDLY: The plan going forward. We are jumping into the trails with all our focus to clean it up completely ASAP. After this we will continue the cleaning but start working on advance trail maintenance to improve the riding experience and quality. We will then also start making changes to the route to accommodate beginner riders and kids. We will also develop a new start to your ride as an alternative to the start with the long tar climb as some riders in the area have shared the same challenge. All of this takes time but we can assure you it will be worth the wait. 

PARK FEES: All the fees will stay the same going forward for 2020. Unfortunately the bulk tickets that the previous operator sold can only be used until end March 2020. I know this will be a problem for many but this needs to be taken up with the company who sold them to you as we are not linked. Multipark from Cycle Lab is still active and if anything changes we will communicate the changes. 

Going forward we will sell year passes that allow you unlimited access to the park for the calendar year ending December 2020. This fee will be adjusted for this year as we are 3 months in and I will only have it available end April.

Wednesday Night Rides: Currently off until further notice due to COVID-19. I will continue this idea and also mark the trail signs with reflective tape. I am busy with some planning around this to make it more formal and social also create a specific night ride loop. 

COVID-19: I want to encourage everyone using the trails to enter and exit the park as you have finished your ride or run. We want to reduce social gathering, even in the parking area. Please help us and your fellow trail users to stay safe in this time. We will also comply to any further instructions given by the President with regards to public facilities during this time. I will post on our Facebook and Instagram if we close the park.

TOILETS: Some of you might have seen we gave the toilets a fresh coat of paint and fixed all the plumbing. One problem currently, we cant find toiletpaper, hand soap or sanitiser. Please let me know if any of you know where to find stock so we can keep the toilets clean and COVID-19 free.

CHRIS: Some of you will know him, the man washing the bikes and all round champ and passionate about helping where he can and the trail boss. He will continue with us on our new adventure.

Please stay up to date by following us on Facebook ( https://web.facebook.com/tarokotrails/ ) and Instagram ( https://www.instagram.com/tarokotrails/ ) for all the latest updates.

Email: info@tarokotrails.co.za

Phone or Whatsapp : 0813511223

Please drop us a pin and image of any major maintenance needed in the park. This way we can keep it in mint condition. I ride the trails weekly for the same reasons.

Kind Regards,

TAROKO TRAIL PARK at Modderfontein Nature Reserve.

Thanks Shaun, this all sounds great and you have taken a big task here. Looking forward to riding Modders again.

Thanks for the feedback Shaun, good luck!

I'd suggest that you close the last fast downhill (the one that runs parallel to the tar road) until that one gum pole is removed or shift the trail away from the pole. It's right next to the trail and is another accident waiting to happen. If I recall a rider was airlifted a few months back after a serious fall on this section.

The last time I rode this section, a while back, the trail itself was in was pretty in bad condition and quite rutted.

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  

Hi Shaun

Great to get some feedback. That's really all we needed. Now that I understand the challenges you have and how you are dealing with them you can be assured of my support.

Wishing you all the very best especially during the current difficult times.