Round vs Oval Chainring

Demetri

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

;) Hint: Date of the article ... :whistling:

Fake news - The date is purely coincidental. Square IS the new oval!

Going to change my SS from a round 32*16 to an Oval 34*18 later today .... Just because I can and give it a go

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

Please let me know how it feel and your input on it. Thanks

If that is the case it makes sense that i find riding my 32 oval by 11/42 cassette bike  feels the same as my other 34 round by 11/46 cassette bike  

How is the climbing on the 34 with 1146 cassette? With my current setup 32T 1142 cassette i hardly to never touch the 42. I normally make use of the 37 for climbing also depending how steep it is.

How is the climbing on the 34 with 1146 cassette? With my current setup 32T 1142 cassette i hardly to never touch the 42. I normally make use of the 37 for climbing also depending how steep it is.

depends on many things

Wheelsize

Fitness 

Bike geometry

Setup ect.

You seem to be in decent shape so get the the bigger ranges , i doubt you'll struggle 

Edit: My bad - I can't read good.

Edited by Eldron

depends on many things

Wheelsize

Fitness 

Bike geometry

Setup ect.

You seem to be in decent shape so get the the bigger ranges , i doubt you'll struggle 

29er is allready advantage over 26er. Fitness not where i want to be, i do alot of trail running and not so much road running. Weight 62kg 1.8 length (skinny dude). Yes i considder myself fit. I can ride a bike and i can ride the hell out of it (guys be like WTF when i pass them). Setup is pretty standard with good components that suit my riding style. Thanks for your input. 

Edited by Demetri

Having my new XT 11-46 installed today along with my Rapide 32T Oval Chainring - coming from 2x10 I am interested to see what my experience is like and whether I will be more comfortable on a 34T Oval. Either way quite excited!

Having my new XT 11-46 installed today along with my Rapide 32T Oval Chainring - coming from 2x10 I am interested to see what my experience is like and whether I will be more comfortable on a 34T Oval. Either way quite excit

Now this is having me excited. Please let me know about your experience. What i can tell you is you going to be a happy chappy with your 1x11 setup.

Now this is having me excited. Please let me know about your experience. What i can tell you is you going to be a happy chappy with your 1x11 setup.

Will keep you posted Demetri  :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Any Updates?

Hi Demtri,

I am going to be honest I have been sick the last week so only had an opportunity to ride on the mountain once properly, and then a couple of short commutes into work.

I went up onto Table Mountain for a spin and found the 1x11 great - I was already a little run down before getting the man flu so hard to say if it made a big performance impact - but love how simple the 1x11 is... As for the Oval Chainring, I could definitely feel the difference initially but after a while it felt much of the same... If anything upgrade is gonna give the bike a new lease on life and I'm feeling hella gees to ride again.

Hi Demtri,

I am going to be honest I have been sick the last week so only had an opportunity to ride on the mountain once properly, and then a couple of short commutes into work.

I went up onto Table Mountain for a spin and found the 1x11 great - I was already a little run down before getting the man flu so hard to say if it made a big performance impact - but love how simple the 1x11 is... As for the Oval Chainring, I could definitely feel the difference initially but after a while it felt much of the same... If anything upgrade is gonna give the bike a new lease on life and I'm feeling hella gees to ride again.

Hi Cookie. Thanks. Just did the 100miler with my new 34T oval with 46 Cassette. Im not going back to round:). I cant tell the difference but with every stroke power is there. Felt amazing.

Some more random feedback...

I raced my oval chainringed bike over the weekend after having ridden round only bikes for a while.

Initially it felt a bit jerky like the bike was shooting forward a few cm on every power stroke - after a few minutes it felt smoother and I enjoyed it more.

Oval seems to encourage higher cadence for me and climbing feels better/easier.

Of course these are all emotionally based choices but I feel oval is better/faster than round.