Round vs Oval Chainring

Demetri

Good day hubbers. I am in the process of upgrading my chainring. Currently im running a Lyne Pulse crank with 32T round chainring and 11 42 Cassette. I am strong on the climbs so the combination is good. What i found out is im out of gears on the flats and the slightest of downhill. I want to get a 34T chainring to remedy this. I now am stuck at getting a Oval chanring or a Round chainring. Any input would be much appreciated. Oh i'm on a hardtail.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's personal preference.

I have tried oval rings on both the road and mountain bikes. No matter what I did, I couldn't get used to them. I have since gone back to round rings - they just work for me.

Your best bet is to try it and see if it works for you. Chainrings aren't that expensive, and there is a good market for a slightly used one. Buy an oval ring, give it and try and the worst that can happen is you don't like it and then sell it. 

I'm a big fan of the Absolute Black ovals.  They come already threaded which is convenient. Really love the feel of the ovals, won't go back to round.  

Thanx. Appreciated. I'm thinking of sticking to Lyne Pulse and getting from them. Reason why is that it's soft on my pockets and won't break the bank:).

It's personal preference.

I have tried oval rings on both the road and mountain bikes. No matter what I did, I couldn't get used to them. I have since gone back to round rings - they just work for me.

Your best bet is to try it and see if it works for you. Chainrings aren't that expensive, and there is a good market for a slightly used one. Buy an oval ring, give it and try and the worst that can happen is you don't like it and then sell it. 

Good feedback. I have read that it somehow put less strain on your knees, how true is that? I'm coming from Patella Tendinitis or i'm still battling with it because of trail running which i still do. I can do easy 100km on the MTB with slightest of knee pain that doesnt force me to stop.

Oval.  Can easily feel the difference when you're spinning (easier to keep cadence higher as it 'helps' to ease the resistance between your power strokes) as well as when going up something very very steep - that surge forward with each pedal stroke down is smoothed out a lot so the bike moves smoother rather than surging.

For me there is no downside to an oval ring, but there are a handful of positives which make it feel better.

I need to see some proven logic behind it...

The theory behind it kinda makes sense. But in practice I honestly can't tell. I'm still using one now though. Only coz its what I have. I don't care what shape the replacement will be. I also don't care which brand. They're all the same. Some are just prettier than others.

Here is my list in order of importance when trying to decide on a new ring.

1. Colour.

Coming back from knee surgery I find the oval puts less strain on the knee.  There's a whole bunch or research on why/if ovals work.  Generally the argument is a more efficient pedal stroke due to maximising where the legs are strongest and minimising where there are weakest.  Resulting in efficiency and traction.  So I would say it's definitely worth a try. 

I love my oval, that lack of dead spot as mentioned is great on loose climbs or tricky sections. Being able to have pressure on all the time feels a lot better.
I dont see me going back to a round.

I do like the Absolute Black Oval chainrings. Seems to help with getting over that technical climb or obstacle...

This.

I find that I climb better, also getting more traction on the rear wheel. My only worry is a slight knee pain after riding,  so not sure if thats due to the oval or general wear and tear.

I went from a 32 oval to a 34 oval and there is really not much to gain in speed with 2 teeth more.