Round vs Oval Chainring

Demetri

This Oval vs Round thing is interesting. Well more the timing of it acutally ?

My first proper road bike had Oval chain rings, this was way back in 1990.

Over the year I never saw or heard of oval rings again right up until recently.

What I do remember about that bike though was that I could power up hills with some difficult (for me right now) gearing and still make progress.

i cant say if it was all down to me being a hundred year younger and stronger or if it was down to the gears.

Maybe its time to experiment, I think I still  have the big chainring from that bike lying around.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I do remember about that bike though was that I could power up hills with some difficult (for me right now) gearing and still make progress.

i cant say if it was all down to me being a hundred year younger and stronger or if it was down to the gears.

Maybe its time to experiment, I think I still  have the big chainring from that bike lying around.

Are you talking about bio-pace? 

Maybe its time to experiment, I think I still have the big chainring from that bike lying around.

I noticed something interesting the other day. I've been riding my wife's bike for the past couple of years as it's a more modern bike and I bought it for me...

My bike is an old 80s bike with shimano biopace oval cranks. It has a 6 speed cluster with really tough gear ratios. I rode it for the first time in a while the other day and I was blown away by how easy a' tough' gear ratio felt. Dunno if I was having a low gravity day, but it made a big, noticeable difference.

Changed my view of oval cranks!

Good feedback. I have read that it somehow put less strain on your knees, how true is that? I'm coming from Patella Tendinitis or i'm still battling with it because of trail running which i still do. I can do easy 100km on the MTB with slightest of knee pain that doesnt force me to stop.

a colleague of mine attended the Ergo Fit seminar at UCT sport science with Dr Jeroen Swart and that was apparently a topic of discussion and said to be the case according to some studies...

So I'm also considering to do a switch to an Oval chainring for the long term use of my knees

You guys know that bio-pace and the newer eliptical/oval rings are completely different?

how so ?

Their oval is 90 odd deg apart.

Here is froomes

post-58906-0-83528700-1522154049_thumb.jpg

Here is biopace(hard to see as its not as squashed)

post-58906-0-16000200-1522154097_thumb.jpg

On the newer ones the wide area is 90 to the crank and on biopace the wide area was inline with the crank. If that makes sense.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

They oval is 90 odd deg apart.

Here is froomes

attachicon.gifChris Froome Pinarello F8 Team Sky-022.JPG

Here is biopace(hard to see as its not as squashed)

attachicon.gifbiopacemtb.jpg

On the newer ones the wide area is 90 to the crank and on biopace the wide area was inline with the crank. If that makes sense.

it does make sense, but only because after asking you how they differ I then asked google and got a pretty good explanation.

it does make sense, but only because after asking you how they differ I then asked google and got a pretty good explanation.

Edited by dirtypot

to be fair it was not meant as a burn and i read what google threw at me before reading his explanation.

I've gone full circle on this. Put an oval chain on one bike- it worked well so I added one to another bike- it also worked well. Then a third bike. Then I kinda forgot about it and now I cannot tell the difference between the bikes that have oval and those that don't....

In theory I'm still a supporter though. My gut/legs/heart tells me they climb better.

Im Sold. Thanx guys. Just ordered one locally at www.lynecomponents.com great team and always getting great service from them. Will see and give feedback once on.

Im Sold. Thanx guys. Just ordered one locally at www.lynecomponents.com great team and always getting great service from them. Will see and give feedback once on.

I recently changed to the Absolute Black (32T direct mount oval) on my Sram Eagle - I won't punt it but it is something you have to try.

The price is very good and quality is jewellery standard.

Now for my road bike.....

I recently changed to the Absolute Black (32T direct mount oval) on my Sram Eagle - I won't punt it but it is something you have to try.

The price is very good and quality is jewellery standard.

Now for my road bike.....

Also running direct mount but lyne pulse. Decided to go for the 34T oval. Currently running 32T direct round chainring with 1142 at the back. 1050 Sunrace or 1146 XT soon to be on.