Round vs Oval Chainring

Demetri

Also running direct mount but lyne pulse. Decided to go for the 34T oval. Currently running 32T direct round chainring with 1142 at the back. 1050 Sunrace or 1146 XT soon to be on.

Just check, the Sunrace is not 10-50, it is 11-50. That is why you can use it without XD...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just check, the Sunrace is not 10-50, it is 11-50. That is why you can use it without XD...

Yes meant 1150..thanx for correcting me. 

You all seems to be pro oval.

I like the oval, but when I stand and padal it feels like there is a dead spot...exactly what the oval is supposed to remove. Anyone with the same experience?

I like the oval, but when I stand and padal it feels like there is a dead spot...exactly what the oval is supposed to remove. Anyone with the same experience?

No. I find mine to be super smooth. No dead spot at all.

Only for the first ride. Now I can't tell the difference between oval and round when pedaling. Only notice the slight (maybe in my mind?) efficiency increase on steep and rocky climbs.

Maybe this was mentioned but when you break a derailleur, you wont be able to make a single speed with an oval ring...or rather you might but you will have to pedal lightly.

Am I the only one who can't tell the difference?

if you want to feel the difference put a oval on incorrectly I did that once with a 104bcd it was like going nowhere moved it to the correct place and made a big difference. Still laugh at myself when putting on ovals.

So i've ordered my oval 34T along with 1146XT Cassette and new chain and now i'm just starring at it. Did i make the right decision in going with a 34T seeing im on 32T round at the moment with 1142 cassette.....shouldnt i have gotten the 32T rather? Interesting read on some forums and youtube and the guys complaining about the oval messing up their clutch and all sorts of derailleur problems. How true is this? This oval thing really got me excited and now i'm more confuse after parts arrived. Input needed and thanks. 

Edited by Demetri

Put it on and go ride, I haven't experienced any of those issues ... Yes you now have a 34 where you had a 32 but you also have a 46 where you had a 42

Toughen up buttercup [emoji6]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Put it on and go ride, I haven't experienced any of those issues ... Yes you now have a 34 where you had a 32 but you also have a 46 where you had a 42

Haha...I like the Straight forward answer. Thanks mate.

Maybe this was mentioned but when you break a derailleur, you wont be able to make a single speed with an oval ring...or rather you might but you will have to pedal lightly

Going to change my SS from a round 32*16 to an Oval 34*18 later today .... Just because I can and give it a go

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

Maybe this was mentioned but when you break a derailleur, you wont be able to make a single speed with an oval ring...or rather you might but you will have to pedal lightly.

huh?

I think there are some massively oval Q rings that might not work, but most 1x oval rings have a 9-11% growth which means that if you tension the chain with the 'long' ends at 12 and 6 the slack won't be enough to make any difference what so ever... I know because I have been running oval rings on my SS since 2014

Is your chainring oriented correctly?  There's a little knob thingie (think it's called a sentient, might be wrong) on one side of the chainring that should be behind the crank when it's installed.  If that's in the wrong place then your oval might be offset from where it's meant to be.  If it's correct then it's just a case of getting used to it, which will happen very quickly.

If that is the case it makes sense that i find riding my 32 oval by 11/42 cassette bike  feels the same as my other 34 round by 11/46 cassette bike