sani2c

Balooba

My Bad. Blood still coming out my ears and bung hole.

Was too tired to think of typing on a phone during the race village relaxers.

OK, so .....

Lesson one, I am glad that muscle memory is a reality, its the only reason i finished.

Lesson 2: check your shocks are on full open for day one. Misread the damn label on the shocks and locked them out. Forgot you can stand up and pump the handlebars to see if the shocks are open or locked........ :oops:

Lesson 3, listen to the commissaire when they say FILL UP AT DAY 2 WATERPOINT 1. Unless you are a pro who can do Iconic in 16 mins, you are going to be hot and sweaty out there. I took the chicken run on Hlegabafazi. Wow, they so mislabeled the ascent locations and elevations on the sticker they gave us for the top tube. Long and Gradual vs Short and Steep......? My ass. It was long and only slightly less steep. Well thats my opinion and I am sticking with it. Otherwise it was VERY nice to get to the school finish before Jolivet. I had realistic feelings i was going to the timed out along the way as average speed dropped very quickly after the Umko drop. But made it into camp comfortably in the end.

Lesson 4 : There are some cool people out there who all need a cheery hello and a "keep it up you are almost there"

Overall

Day 3 was much better and i managed to ride most of the hills.Descents were great on day 3 and i managed to catch up some time on the more nervous descenders out there. Only got caught by the first few chasing pros just before we got to the floating bridge.Its embarrassing watching them come past you at 180 kph.

If you want to have fun, you definitely need to be fit, but at least i did finish. Thankfully i was not in the bottom 10% of riders, cos some of them had seriously long hours in the saddle.

Water points all very well managed and very well stocked. The folks there were friendly and very supportive. The Pevensey WP was a humbling experience. People who are happy and then you know that you need to dial down your attitude a lot and be very thankful you have what you do.

Bucket list : tick

Would i do it again?.... We will see fitness levels over the next year and if work allows, so maybe.

Awesome man well done!

We did ICONIC last year and also opted for the "other side" this year to check it out.

Iconic definitely the better option...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lesson 3, listen to the commissaire when they say FILL UP AT DAY 2 WATERPOINT 1. Unless you are a pro who can do Iconic in 16 mins, you are going to be hot and sweaty out there. I took the chicken run on Hlegabafazi. Wow, they so mislabeled the ascent locations and elevations on the sticker they gave us for the top tube. Long and Gradual vs Short and Steep......? My ass. It was long and only slightly less steep. Well thats my opinion and I am sticking with it. Otherwise it was VERY nice to get to the school finish before Jolivet. I had realistic feelings i was going to the timed out along the way as average speed dropped very quickly after the Umko drop. But made it into camp comfortably in the end.

Also did the chicken run.

Did not find any chickens.

Just pain and crap long hard climb.

Well done Long Donkey.

I also did chicken run as thought (a) it would be good to ride the entire climb and (b) by riding the entire climb as opposed to pushing on Iconic it would in fact be quicker! Pfhhh

Long story short - just push up Iconic!

Flat box Iconic 19min

Flat box Howling Woman 24min

Iconic is better

Well done Donkey.

Now to use that "base miles" to build through winter

Edited by Spinnekop

iconic was rideable...... if there were no induviduals walking infront...

Long Donkey i second your statement...Pevensey was amazing...loved it ..but left the water point feeling sad.... but humbling.

those farmers have the life... in a beaut part of the country..did anyone notice how happy they were ..not one miserable farmer....makes you wonder... cities blur your vision

great conditions and great riding.

Edited by Richard29

iconic was rideable...... if there were no induvuduals walking infront...

Long Donkey i second your statement...Pevensey was amazing...loved it ..but left the water point feeling sad.... but humbling.

those farmers have the life... in a beaut part of the country..did anyone notice how happy they were ..not one miserable farmer....makes you wonder... cities blur your vision

great conditions and great riding.

Was thinking the same thing.

City life is killing my soul....if it is not dead already.

Leaving there I felt the need to do something different with my life.

Was thinking the same thing.

City life is killing my soul....if it is not dead already.

Leaving there I felt the need to do something different with my life.

yeahhh i got back to jhb... 1st thing i mentioned to my wife "we need to change something rapidly"

we losing out alot

We also took the Iconic-lite option but in hindsight should have just gone Iconic as we ended up walking anyway on the longer route.

Overall it was a great experience (it was out first Sani) apart from my rear brakes failing after 30km's on Day 1 and then again about 3/4 down the Umko drop on Day 2  :eek:  :eek:

Day 3 WP1. Guy in front of us at the table was having issues with his eye wear. Bleak! Tells the farmer "Do you have any spare personality back there?"

Farmer ducks back in and comes out with two shot glasses with that pink strawberry vodka stuff. Guy one decides this is a bad idea sharing a shot with the farmer and proceeds to weave his way back away from the table feigning deafness. Farmer and most of the riders at the  table heckled the poor guy a bit for ducking his request.

So no worries, my pard, recons, this is a cool opportunity and proceeds to down both shots (doubles) .... He spent the next hour bitching he was feeling woozy and had a sore stomach.

Serves him right for being stronger than me and cycling up most of the hills.

yeahhh i got back to jhb... 1st thing i mentioned to my wife "we need to change something rapidly"

we losing out alot

you just need someone to rub ur ****..

you just need someone to rub ur ****..

thats your  job china.....you should've joined was a jol.......next year..bring sleeping tablets ne

• 7 months later...

Hi guys, 

My wife and I will be doing our first stage race at Sani2C this year and as you can imagine, we have more and more questions each day. 

It would be great to ride and train with people in our area, as this should not only help us prepare but provide us with some experienced panel beating if needed.

We are in Bedfordview and would really appreciate any local assistance! 

Hi guys, 

My wife and I will be doing our first stage race at Sani2C this year and as you can imagine, we have more and more questions each day. 

It would be great to ride and train with people in our area, as this should not only help us prepare but provide us with some experienced panel beating if needed.

We are in Bedfordview and would really appreciate any local assistance! 

DOC's in Alberton - they have groups training for different events like Sani - Trans bavians - good bunch of guys

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1537667889784337/

Get hold of Mark Segers - ask to put on their weekly new letter and their whatsapp group.