Death of the Camber

Knersboy

So I have seen on this site that the Specialized Camber is soon to be no more, and that it is to be replaced by a 120mm travel Epic.

Then I have seen on another cycling forum that indeed the Camber is dead, and that the new Stumpjumper will now come in 120mm or 140mm. Apparently this will be revealed soon.

So spill the beans, I know you know.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes sense.

People, like me, who should be riding a Camber, still buy Epics.

I for one would really like a 120mm Epic...

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/specialized/1192577d1523560823-will-2019-stumpjumper-get-overhaul-img_4371.jpg

New stumpy's geo (very conservative though). There's apparently a 120 and 140mm version. No more Camber moniker.

This is not good news for current Camber owners

With cult like following Specialized enjoys, which group I like to refer to as the Spazzers, I can only see how the 2018 Camber model will be marketed on the second hand market as "Limited Edition" and sell for millions!!!! Well maybe not millions, but more than a packet of M&M's...

I took my Camber to my LBS due to some issue with my rear shock having some vertical "play". Fixed for free. They even opened my rear hub to inspect any possible damage due to me reporting a loud "gunshot" sound I heard. Again...no charge.

My Camber is an exceptional machine, as I am generally hard on my toys, not pussy-footing around when I ride. All in all, I am beyond happy with my Spaz, and will gladly have replaced it with another Camber when the time comes. 

I suppose now it will be the stumpy for the next iteration. Failing which, YT.

I took my Camber to my LBS due to some issue with my rear shock having some vertical "play". Fixed for free. They even opened my rear hub to inspect any possible damage due to me reporting a loud "gunshot" sound I heard. Again...no charge.

My Camber is an exceptional machine, as I am generally hard on my toys, not pussy-footing around when I ride. All in all, I am beyond happy with my Spaz, and will gladly have replaced it with another Camber when the time comes. 

I suppose now it will be the stumpy for the next iteration. Failing which, YT.

Bit late to start a Friday fight now isn't it? 

Perhaps that the availability of spares might become an issue?  :wacko:

What spares? 

It's a bike. Not an 90's F1 car. 

The Camber doesn't have any proprietary tech that will need spares (yes, a few had the Brain, but that will live on in the Epic, so you'll always get support from Spez if you have a Brain-equipped Camber). 

As a former Camber owner, I'm kind of sad if the range will be dumped, if only in name. 

This is surprising - I was under the impression The Camber was a VERY successful range for Specialized but the sound of a 120mm Epic sounds quite vibey! 

Edited by Cookie88

This is surprising - I was under the impression was a VERY successful range for Specialized but the sound of a 120mm Epic sounds quite vibey! 

I dunno about that. 

My MAIN reason for buying the Camber were those 29mm inner width Rovals. Pure genius those, for a guy my size.

Epic has these limp noodle rims, requiring additional fortunes to be spent replacing them with American Classic et al, and then the geometry. It's not a trail bike like the Camber, no matter how much it wants to be one.