Spacer needed or not? Sunrace cassette on Lyne JB01 Hub.

Wannabe

Will be fitting my new Sunrace 11spd wide ratio cassette to my Lyne Pulse 25 wheel with Lyne JB01 hub.

Not sure whether a spacer will be needed between the hub and the cassette.

I've exhausted my limited searching skills on Google and Youtube, cannot find any reference to the spacer fitment.

How will I know whether it's needed or not?

It's been some time since I wrenched regularly but...

Theoretically you shouldn't need a spacer - 10 and 11spd cassettes are the same width for mtb (only road 10 and 11spd are different - you need a spacer for a 10 cassette on an 11 spd hub).

The proof is always in the pudding though and as Schanel says - fit it and see - my guess is no spacer.

Out of experience I can aggree with Eldron wrt the road wheels.  The moment you tighten it to the correct Torque you will notice play and you will have the answer.  Not sure wrt MTB wheels but the theory would be the same.

Cassette fitted, no spacer was needed.

:thumbup:

Glad you came right. Our Shimano style driver is MTB spec so shouldnt need spacers for mtb 10 & 11 speed cassettes.

Cheers

Dayle

Glad you came right. Our Shimano style driver is MTB spec so shouldnt need spacers for mtb 10 & 11 speed cassettes.

Cheers

Dayle

Thanks Dayle. 

Brilliant wheelset, by the way. Very happy with it.

Two - ask Lyne. Their support is top drawer.

Cheers

Dayle

Aaaand there it is.

• 2 years later...

I recently fitted a 42-11t sunrace 11 speed cassette to my 2018 Diverge (Axis 4.0 wheel set).

In less than 100km the cassette developed a seriously frustrating rattle. The top three big cogs fused together seem to have way too much tolerance for a Shimano freewheel hub. The rattle didn’t come from lateral but vertical play, so a spacer did not help fix the situation.

Ended up using plumbing tape to solve the problem. Works perfectly!