Scammer: Peets

Apeman2

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What brands are issuing certificates?

In the past I rode Trek ; Cannondale ; Giant ; Scott ; Merida but never saw or received a "certificate" :ph34r:

Only those brands at risk of being copied ... and you don't seem to have listed any. ;)

What brands are issuing certificates?

In the past I rode Trek ; Cannondale ; Giant ; Scott ; Merida but never saw or received a "certificate" :ph34r:

my  question would be, how do you know the certificate is real? would be so easy to use a software package to design an "authentic" certificate and make it look real. Or do you get a certificate to say that the certificate is real?

What brands are issuing certificates?

In the past I rode Trek ; Cannondale ; Giant ; Scott ; Merida but never saw or received a "certificate" :ph34r:

you only got a certificate if you rode a Mongoose :clap:

"Or do you get a certificate to say that the certificate is real?

...this almost brought me to tears...  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ... where is it going to end.

you only got a certificate if you rode a Mongoose :clap:

Back in 2009 my first hydraulic brake "proper" mtb was a Mongoose. Bought at Sportmanswarehouse.

Today after work I will make a stop there and ask for the certificate

You will not see any difference from the outside.  They come with serial numbers and even the true to original stickers with contact and warranty info etc.  Be careful of wheels as well.  I have seen plenty of fake "branded" rims.

The above is incorrect, what you are referring to are the basics which is easy to copy.

Things to look out for is the quality of the finishing, the design of the frame and fork and especially the carbon layout, also check the design of the rear dropout and front derailleur mounting that's normally the first giveaway, check the BB thread as some frames only come in Italian thread hence should you see a English thread bb this should raise your suspicion, check the frame weight vs manufacturer claim, chinese frames are normally way off and the list can go on.

However in short, the best way to overcome this situation is to educate yourself, do your homework first before you jump on the bargain train! 

Edited by Malpiet

The above is incorrect, what you are referring to are the basics which is easy to copy.

Things to look out for is the quality of the finishing, the design of the frame and fork and especially the carbon layout, also check the design of the rear dropout and front derailleur mounting that's normally the first giveaway, check the BB thread as some frames only come in Italian thread hence should you see a English thread bb this should raise your suspicion, check the frame weight vs manufacturer claim, chinese frames are normally way off and the list can go on.

However in short, the best way to overcome this situation is to educate yourself, do your homework first before you jump on the bargain train! 

Really???

I have seen copies my friend that not even i could tell the difference between real or fake and that's with "original" paintwork down to serial numbers, manufacturers markings the lot. So dont kid yourself that you know it all when it comes to spotting a fake. As everything evolves in life so does the abilities of these guys copying stuff. So be careful what you buy from where.

Really???

I have seen copies my friend that not even i could tell the difference between real or fake and that's with "original" paintwork down to serial numbers, manufacturers markings the lot. So dont kid yourself that you know it all when it comes to spotting a fake. As everything evolves in life so does the abilities of these guys copying stuff. So be careful what you buy from where.

How original did the certificate look? :-)

Hi Guys

The purpose of my post was to warn other Hubbers and not to start a discussion of who is right and who is wrong. 

He sold a complete bike on the Hub and my friend asked me to go look at the bike as it's in my area. It was a very nice bike and my friend bought it. Peter seemed like a very nice guy and told me he is a rep that supplies bicycle parts to shops. He told me he can get me a frame as a favor from a friend or some crap. I told him that I don't want a replica or fake frame and he told me it's the real thing. He told me it will come with a certificate and serial number.

At the end of the day it was all lies. It's a Chinese fake.

I was stupid to buy it and I made a mistake. I will not use the frame and I will write off the money that I lost. 

Well if you not using the frame and are writing it off... will take it off your hands  :whistling:

Prob a Cipollini

Sold OP a non aunthentic bike frame, would like to know the brand though ‍♂

so today I have the shock of discovering I have fallen victim to a scam, in January I decided to build up a road bike as it seemed like a good idea at the time and I had some spare funds.

started looking all over the hub and found a Pinarello Dogma 60.1 frame for sale out of CT by Marco Crow

Knowing nothing about road frames or the apparent replica/ fake frames I examined the price, did some research as to the age an figured it was a good price so went through the process of communicating with the seller and buying the frame( unfortunately all communication was via WhatsApp which I have long since deleted as I did not see it as relevant to my life any further). As I have never really had any interest in road cycling apart from looking at a few road bikes and thinking some are better looking than others I have never paid any attention to or even researched possible fake frames and what to ask or look for. ( now before all the keyboard warriors with big balls behind the keyboards but small dicks in real life, start making statements that I am a **** for not doing research etc, my statement is why would I if I have no reason to suspect, based on my knowledge, of anything being untoward)

After reading this thread I have done some research and have found that the frame has a space on the bottom where I would assume a serial number is supposed to be. It is weird in that it is a perfect space and just seems that the serial was not placed on the frame and clear coated over. Based on the things to look out for in this thread I have done a very thorough check of the bike and cannot see any flaws or aspects of what have been mentioned here. I was completely under the impression that the frame was real.

Unfortunately Road cycling is just not my thing and have advertised the bike for sale here on the hub. Knowing what I do now that advert will be removed immediately but it is a huge disappointment. Even on comparison to a friend’s original( bought from agents etc) no one can tell the difference between the 2 bikes.

So now I am faced with a bike I don’t really enjoy to ride that I cannot sell.

Feeling very pissed off I must be honest!!

Edited by Cruz Addict