Homeschoolers Not Welcome at Spur MTB League

Shaun Green

The petition is not about threatening, boycotting etc talk about having the wrong end of the stick. Its about allowing a talented youngster to compete in something she loves. 

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to have your child in home schooling, you have to sacrifice the whole part of being in school. Sport is one of them, tough luck. Put your child in a school then there is nothing to complain about. That is the price you have to pay.

Children in home schooling have a BIG advantage in available time to train. They have flexibility which other children doesn't have. You cannot have your bread buttered on all 4 sides. 

Wrongly, in my opinion.  I think that laziness is not an excuse, and targeting the guys actually pouring money into the sport is so unbelievably stupid, it beggars belief. 

This mindless uninformed shouting, filled with moral indignation directed to the first visible target is easy, and does not require intellect or thought.  Facts gets thrown to the wind.  It has taken 8 pages for the real facts to emerge, but those 8 pages are littered with idiocy clamoring for Spur to be boycotted, petitions to be signed, and general contempt spewed at the series sponsor.

For the record, I have no financial or other interest in Spur, and am in no way linked to them.

Have to agree, wrongly.

But as the masses, who do we direct out voices at ? Who is going to listen so that they can say ya or nay?

You owe me a cup of tea and a new keyboard.

Me too!

A fair number of posts on this thread remind me of a (slightly more civilised) EFF March.

We don't know the rules and we're not going to read the rules but we're angry because someone can't get something so we're going to hurt an associated party financially.

Viva something viva. FREEEEEDOM.

If you want to have your child in home schooling, you have to sacrifice the whole part of being in school. Sport is one of them, tough luck. Put your child in a school then there is nothing to complain about. That is the price you have to pay.

Children in home schooling have a BIG advantage in available time to train. They have flexibility which other children doesn't have. You cannot have your bread buttered on all 4 sides. 

WOW ! A bit unfair their on saying that home schooling is not normal schooling.

So if your child looses a spot at university to a homeschooled child are you going to whine that homeschool children have to much time to study and be educated as well ?

*the masses*

and, without knowing the details, who to put pressure on ? As far as I can see the only name on any event is Spur. So I lay the issue at Spur's feet. Without downloading the fine print most *masses* who will see this and feel agrived wont even know what CSA stands for or whatever that acronym that other post said.

and when Mr Amla had issues, who did they go after ? *deflecting from the current topic*

That is not similar at all. He objected to endorsing alcohol on the basis of his faith. It's not like he went after castle (or whoever it was) because he didn't like the LBW review system. 

Have to agree, wrongly.

But as the masses, who do we direct out voices at ? Who is going to listen so that they can say ya or nay?

There are contact numbers in the first post on the first page of this thread.

Click the link and phone, email or fax them.

If many people do this in a rational manner it'll change more than some poor accountant at Spur having to explain why profits are down and he has no idea why...

Me too!

A fair number of posts on this thread remind me of a (slightly more civilised) EFF March.

We don't know the rules and we're not going to read the rules but we're angry because someone can't get something so we're going to hurt an associated party financially.

Viva something viva. FREEEEEDOM.

like I said, the masses.

So how to you change the masses view ? Surely you should be guiding them to the CORRECT people to engage with them on the rules ?

*the masses*

and, without knowing the details, who to put pressure on ? As far as I can see the only name on any event is Spur. So I lay the issue at Spur's feet. Without downloading the fine print most *masses* who will see this and feel agrived wont even know what CSA stands for or whatever that acronym that other post said.

and when Mr Amla had issues, who did they go after ? *deflecting from the current topic*

Half the world's population has below average IQ

This, unfortunately, is a symptom of that. Sorry Terry, but going after SPUR when they are the sponsor and not organiser is extremely foolhardy. 

Engage that fatty matter in your kop!

(no, not YOU, Terry... BTW have you got your bike yet?)

Some of the comments on here from people who know nothing about the league or the history thereof is embarrassing. This mob mentality with calls to boycott a brand that has done more for the sport than any individual anywhere near this thread is petty and ridiculous... 

Somehow you all already know more than people who have been working on this league day in and day out for over a decade. A league most of us could only have dreamed existed when we were kids. A league that has gotten tens of thousands of kids off the couch and into our sport...

This is a tricky debate, with a million nuances that need to be taken into account - but don't expect any constructive conversation when you can't behave like reasonable adults.

like I said, the masses.

So how to you change the masses view ? Surely you should be guiding them to the CORRECT people to engage with them on the rules ?

I don't live in SA or have any children and yet I posted just above your post how I think this should be resolved.

Maybe if more people were like that awesome Eldron chap and less like the EFF this problem would already be solved.

#belikeEldron

This.

Spur sponsor the race series.

They don't organise it, they don't make the rules, they give an agreed upon amount of money to the organization and in return they get their name in the title and other ways of exposure.

But they DO have the ability to influence the organisers and the rules - very quickly and very efficiently....

And IF they DONT'T influence the organisers to behave in an all-inclusive way, then they are morally bankrupt - as is specifically the Gauteng part of the series (seems the other provinces have different rules that are more inclusive.... )

Half the world's population has below average IQ

This, unfortunately, is a symptom of that. Sorry Terry, but going after SPUR when they are the sponsor and not organiser is extremely foolhardy. 

Engage that fatty matter in your kop!

(no, not YOU, Terry... BTW have you got your bike yet?)

Just to be clear, I agree with you guys that going after Spur (this boycott nonsense) is not the right approach, but they can be pressured into getting the organisers to change the rule.

Bike is on the way :)

I don't live in SA or have any children and yet I posted just above your post how I think this should be resolved.

Maybe if more people were like that awesome Eldron chap and less like the EFF this problem would already be solved.

#belikeEldron

#wetoo! :)

But they DO have the ability to influence the organisers and the rules - very quickly and very efficiently....

And IF they DONT'T influence the organisers to behave in an all-inclusive way, then they are morally bankrupt - as is specifically the Gauteng part of the series (seems the other provinces have different rules that are more inclusive.... )

I think your argument is morally bankrupt.  You are trying to justify going after a headline sponsor because it's too difficult or too much effort to understand the real cause of the problem, and address the root.  Spur provides financial support.  Try to preserve it.  For the love of ALL the children?  Isn't that an equally morally attractive argument?

Archived