Homeschoolers Not Welcome at Spur MTB League

Shaun Green

My daughter participated in this MTB League last year as part of a small school team.

At her very first XCO race, she went from a 2 minute late unseeded last start to being placed 9th in just three laps. She was placed 6th at the second race. She has since raced successfully in the 2018 CENTURY21 XCO Series. She was looking forward to participating again.

We have previously contacted Spur and the organizers about homeschooler participation, but they unfortunately remained adamant that the League will not admit homeschoolers. There is no attempt to try to work out a solution that can work for all parties.

The first Gauteng race is this weekend and now we read this on the website:

“Home-school riders may not represent a school and/or wear the school kit even if registered for sport at the school”

http://www.spurmtbleague.co.za/participation/

My daughter is heartbroken. She has trained, practiced skills, prepared her bike, collected her kit, but Spur want nothing to do with her simply because she is a homeschooler.

We are at a loss as to what to do.

(For those who might not know Homeschooling has been perfectly legal in South Africa for many years, recognised in section 51 of the School’s Act of 1996. This School’s Act does not govern sporting events.)

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What were the reasons given to you by the organisers? Is the idea that it is some inter-school competition?

Whatever the reason I feel for your daughter, can imagine she is distraught.

Looks like it says " home schoolers may not represent a school"

Assume this means because they do not attend the school.

Why can she not register as a "private" participant under her own name.

If this is indeed their policy then it sounds like a bunch of B.S. !

Surely the kids results are grouped under age.

They should at least clarify the reasons why they are excluding these kids.

Had a quick read of the rules and it looks like most areas except Gauteng have some kind if bylaw that allows home schoolers to race. It's a few lines down from your quoted rule.

Have you spoken to the organisers? Drop them a call I reckon.

What were the reasons given to you by the organisers? Is the idea that it is some inter-school competition?

Whatever the reason I feel for your daughter, can imagine she is distraught.

They do not give rational reasons. We have imagined that it could relate to the organising and/or prizes. But that cannot be since she was willing to enter via a school.

The smallest school teams consist of only one rider, and usually the Team Manager for that school is the parent of that rider.

It is an Inter-school League, but homeschoolers often participate in leagues like this in other sports. Either via a local school or as part of a Homeschool Association.

Homeschoolers also easily organise themselves into groups if necessary. Why not allow a Provincial Home-schooling Association to enter a team?

That rule says she can't wear school colours- is there a rule that says she can't compete at all?

Homeschoolers in Gauteng are excluded - no exceptions.

Had a quick read of the rules and it looks like most areas except Gauteng have some kind if bylaw that allows home schoolers to race. It's a few lines down from your quoted rule.

wow, what's up with Gauteng then - just let them race on their eis!

Quite a few really good sport people have come through homeschooling once they showed immense talent (for obvious reasons)

Have called. Have spoken. They are not interested.

There is no by-law regarding homeschooler participation in sport, the School's Act of 1996 pertains to Schooling, not Sporting Leagues.

Last year I was literally told:

"It is unfair because homeschoolers can train all day!"

Since when is all-day training a good idea?

It just does not make any sense.

Edited by Shaun Green

In fairness, this is a School's Mountainbike League, where riders representing the schools amass points to determine the overall winning school?

Surely there are many other events that your daughter can enter as well?

Edit

The act defines a school as 

“school” means a public school or an independent school which enrols learners in one or more grades from grade R (Reception) to grade twelve; 

Section 51

51. Registration of learner for education at home.—(1) A parent may apply to the Head of

Department for the registration of a learner to receive education at the learner’s home.
(2) The Head of Department must register a learner as contemplated in subsection (1) if he or
she is satisfied that—
(a)
the registration is in the interests of the learner;
(b)
the education likely to be received by the learner at home—
(i)
will meet the minimum requirements of the curriculum at public schools; and
(ii)
will be of a standard not inferior to the standard of education provided at public
schools; and
©
the parent will comply with any other reasonable conditions set by the Head of
Department. 

Homeschooling is not a school, unfortunately. It's a legal means of education.

Edited by bertusras

In fairness, this is a School's Mountainbike League, where riders representing the schools amass points to determine the overall winning school?

Surely there are many other events that your daughter can enter as well?

She does participate in other events, and does well, but the Spur Series is really the premier series for High School age children.

If they are concerned about prize money to be allocated to schools, other arrangements could be made: eg. "you must enter via the nearest participating school".

Okay. Let's change this.

Oh slow one, or Matt or any other mods, how was BikeHub involved with Spur's MTB league? I remember there used to be a dedicated section for that. What happened to it?