Gauteng Track cycling

Rolling Stone

Haha, it's Friday.

Tire, wheel and gearing all based on the day's air pressure and humidity on an indoor or outdoor wooden track would have produced a 2,873.2m difference.

Gert, well done! You did your best at HNP. Hope your record remains for years to come.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking nothing away from Gert, he did a fantastic effort!

However, I don't believe that a wooden track would have allowed the extra 3km for free...If you look at the difference between the "true hour" record set by Boardman on a "standard" bike over the fully aero machine there is a massive difference and both of those were on wooden tracks....

I don't disagree that it would have been quicker on a wooden track, 3km quicker? 

Anyway well done Gert!

I get what you are saying, but also mentioned indoor.

An outdoor track will always be allot slower.

But again, maybe 3km is wishful thinking.

Hector Norris for all its lumps and bumps is still pretty fast mainly due to the altitiude, remember most of the records are done at sea level. Take nothing away from Gert, there is a reason why the previous record has stood for nearly 20 years. To stick another 2 kilometres on top of the previous SA record could stick this current record on the shelf for a long time. 47kph for an hour is incredibly fast.

I get what you are saying, but also mentioned indoor.

An outdoor track will always be allot slower.

But again, maybe 3km is wishful thinking.

Don't disagree - indoor and wooden kinda go hand in hand in my mind...

• 2 months later...

There wil be a Coaching Session for youths the morning before each of the Youth League Races.

This program will consist of:

Basic cycling skills

Any Kid with their own bike, any Bike as long as you fit on it and it works. We can assist with setup and inflating tires, but I am not going to be fixing your punctures and lubing your chain.

Training and riding will be done on the grass and under the trees at HNP and will focus on basic cycling skills. (similar to  Primary Schools program)

Start 10 am -12am. Be on time.

R 50.00 per rider also gets them an entry into fun races later in the day after 2pm. 

Contact Eddie Roller 082 5574667 (eroller@mweb.co.za) to book your spot.

Track Skills 

This is for youths that can already ride a bike and would like to give Track a go.

On Youth league days only R50.00 per rider also gets them an entry into the Track racing later in the day.

Riders wil not be allowed to race on the track without doing a competency first.

Bike Rentals are available but limited to the first 10 riders.

Contact  Jeremy on : 072 059 9490 to confirm arrangements. 

Youth League Dates:

26 Jan 2019

23 Feb 2019

30 March 2019

27 April 2019

We will have two lady coaches to help with the basic bike skills coaching (off the track) on Saturday. Elize Niewenhuizen from SA Schools Cycling and Lisa Chapman one of our CGC qualified coaches. get the word out there. Your little ones will be in good hands.

We are urgently looking for a couple of single speed bikes (gears are ok, but not required) for cyclig development 20", 24" and 26" bikes preferably.

We currently have 4 or 5 kids sharing a bike at our development mornings.

Bikes will not be handed out and will remain at Hector Norris for development. Helmets are also in short supply.

Most of these kids still need to learn to ride a bike.

post-46945-0-18957700-1548147344_thumb.png

Edited by Rolling Stone