Availability of Test bikes

SwissVan

what Is the availability of test bikes like in SA, in particular Specialized?

Being in the market for a new mtb I approached 2 brands requesting a test bike to help me decide the right size and make a final choice.

The LBS who sells Specz tried to get me a test bike but was told by Specz Europe that there are no test bikes and that the bike shops should buy bikes to be used for test bikes....

The other LBS who sells Santa Cruz managed to arrange a test bike no problems for next weekend...

Being a Specz fan I’m feeling a bit miffed and let down by the big S....

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cedar Square Spez loaned me a Camber and a Stumpy over weekends and during the week. Not sure though if they "bought" the bikes and offered them up as test bikes or if agent provided test bikes - I am guessing the former

That's correct - Specialized concept stores buy bikes to be used as demo bikes, usually the Comp Carbon models (gives a good feel of the ride without them having to shell out for the top tier models).

Most stores I've been to have a sizes in most models available - I know the Stellenhosch store did last time I was there, and Centurion and Lynnwood in Pta as well.

Once they reach X hours of use they sell them at a discounted price (probably their cost or just above).

Different brands operate differently though, I know most brand distributors make demo bikes available to their dealers on request - probably a much better and more cost effective model.

SwissVan don't feel too bad, when I was in the market for a bike the best one of the SC dealers could do was give me a Tallboy that they were assembling for another client to ride around the block in my shorts and slops!

Having worked for a couple of brands (inc Spez) I can vouch that a store owned demo bike is a LOT less admin both from the store side and the distributors side...

As a retail store that doesn't have in house demos - you have a client interested, you call the distributor to get told there is a 3-4 week waiting list whilst the demo bike is sent to various stores...client walks out and is not really interested anymore...if  you mange to get the demo bike in - you then generally find that the bike has been pulled through its own @@@hole and needs major work to get respectable.

In house bikes allow the store to loan the bike for the weekend, get it back on Monday/Tuesday, have a chance to get it cleaned up and serviced if needed. As it belongs to the store they will be generally better cared for and thus offer the clients a better experience. 

Yes it is a bigger outlay for the store - however generally you are able to garner more sales by doing it this way - and trust me when it comes time to liquidate the bikes at the end of their terms, there is normally a queue/bun fight to get one...

Complete Cyclist in Bedfordview gave me a test bike for a few days to use. It was sent from their store in the North and landed up being a brand new bike to test.

I must say that they really went out of their way to accommodate me.

Having worked for a couple of brands (inc Spez) I can vouch that a store owned demo bike is a LOT less admin both from the store side and the distributors side...

As a retail store that doesn't have in house demos - you have a client interested, you call the distributor to get told there is a 3-4 week waiting list whilst the demo bike is sent to various stores...client walks out and is not really interested anymore...if  you mange to get the demo bike in - you then generally find that the bike has been pulled through its own @@@hole and needs major work to get respectable.

In house bikes allow the store to loan the bike for the weekend, get it back on Monday/Tuesday, have a chance to get it cleaned up and serviced if needed. As it belongs to the store they will be generally better cared for and thus offer the clients a better experience. 

Yes it is a bigger outlay for the store - however generally you are able to garner more sales by doing it this way - and trust me when it comes time to liquidate the bikes at the end of their terms, there is normally a queue/bun fight to get one...

I hear you on the admin side but the LBS eats the difference between normal sales margin and the discounted version for these demo rigs.

LBS's are generally SME's where every penny counts so a couple of models in a couple of sizes quickly adds up . Therefore I would have thought it makes sense for big manufacturers to support these outlets by giving them the demo's as consignment stock. Especially where the LBS sell the brand exclusively (ie Spez concept stores) and is already faced with the high costs of stock on the floor.

Above logic is based on the logic that the bigger player (i.e. Spez or distributor) is in a better position to carry the cost of demo rigs and at a lower cost vs LBS

Another consideration is that a customer generally evaluates two brands against each other as opposed to two LBS's which again points in the direction of the brand carrying the cost of demo stock; After testing some bikes and having made a pick, people often shop around for the best price for the chosen rig, which means the LBS whose demo they rode can still lose out but the brand still wins.

Anyway those are my thoughts

I hear you on the admin side but the LBS eats the difference between normal sales margin and the discounted version for these demo rigs.

LBS's are generally SME's where every penny counts so a couple of models in a couple of sizes quickly adds up . Therefore I would have thought it makes sense for big manufacturers to support these outlets by giving them the demo's as consignment stock. Especially where the LBS sell the brand exclusively (ie Spez concept stores) and is already faced with the high costs of stock on the floor.

Above logic is based on the logic that the bigger player (i.e. Spez or distributor) is in a better position to carry the cost of demo rigs and at a lower cost vs LBS

Another consideration is that a customer generally evaluates two brands against each other as opposed to two LBS's which again points in the direction of the brand carrying the cost of demo stock; After testing some bikes and having made a pick, people often shop around for the best price for the chosen rig, which means the LBS whose demo they rode can still lose out but the brand still wins.

Anyway those are my thoughts

Yes to the above and no disagreements, however most distributors will invoice the demo bikes out at a discounted rate and on longer terms....

A lot of companies are moving away from consignment stock....

So reading the above, a handful of people have confirmed that Complete in Bedfordview do provide loaners. They did for me as well...

They also have test ride days (normally at Modderfontein?) where you can ride different models / sizes back-to-back.

No need for drama. //

So reading the above, a handful of people have confirmed that Complete in Bedfordview do provide loaners. They did for me as well...

They also have test ride days (normally at Modderfontein?) where you can ride different models / sizes back-to-back.

No need for drama. //

Unless you live 10’000 km away and the LBS has one test week a year in March..... before i decided to look around.

The other pain i found out is Specz don’t have any size L or XL in the type I’m interested in, not until the new 2019 bikes come in +/- October

As a retail store that doesn't have in house demos - you have a client interested, you call the distributor to get told there is a 3-4 week waiting list whilst the demo bike is sent to various stores...client walks out and is not really interested anymore...if you mange to get the demo bike in - you then generally find that the bike has been pulled through its own @@@hole and needs major work to get respectable.

Thanks

Basically what you say makes sense..... for the LBS / Distributor and bugger the customer.

Essentially, if I want a new mtb soon, the policy you describe will make it much harder for me to choose a specialized.

In the LBS favour, they did allow me to ride a new size L of a lower spec around the parking lot. This at least help determine that the L is a bit small froma seat height perspective and a XL. They also offered to call other retailers to check if any had a XL.

Good service from the LBS imo but a bit slapgat from the distributor.

The pre and post purchase service received from Concept Cyclery Cedar square won me over to the Specialized brand. It did help a little that the Stumpy is one fantastically, awesome bike!

Cedar Square Spez loaned me a Camber and a Stumpy over weekends and during the week. Not sure though if they "bought" the bikes and offered them up as test bikes or if agent provided test bikes - I am guessing the former

So did you do the right thing and buy the Tallboy? I can't change the font on my phone....

Archived