Best / Lightest Non Carbon MTB Rims?

duanelr

My bike is also insured but I do not want to be on my bike when the front wheel buckles.  Alu all the way with brass nipples.

Make sure your medical insurance is also up to date should this happen.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been looking at these for a while now, looks like great value, just worried about reliability etc... How long have you had the wheels and what kind of riding do you do?

My only reservation is that they use alu nipples, not brass. I've had some bad experiences with alu coroding.

My only reservation is that they use alu nipples, not brass. I've had some bad experiences with alu coroding.

This is my concern...

I love all the comments 'too narrow' etc... Guys, wider might be better, but 3 years ago Schurter et al were still tearing up XCO courses on rims now labelled 'too narrow' by avid weekend warriors!

If you aren't down to 4-8% body fat, rather look at rider weight limits, reliability and replacement costs etc..

It's NICE to have the latest toys, but they certainly aren't essential. Tires these days can weigh between 600g to 1kg per tire. I would also look at that.

I have a set of Spank 345's which are amazing on my trail bike, but I still run Crests on my 'race' bike and they are awesome.

I love all the comments 'too narrow' etc... Guys, wider might be better, but 3 years ago Schurter et al were still tearing up XCO courses on rims now labelled 'too narrow' by avid weekend warriors!

If you aren't down to 4-8% body fat, rather look at rider weight limits, reliability and replacement costs etc..

It's NICE to have the latest toys, but they certainly aren't essential. Tires these days can weigh between 600g to 1kg per tire. I would also look at that.

I have a set of Spank 345's which are amazing on my trail bike, but I still run Crests on my 'race' bike and they are awesome.

but but but....will Nino on wider rims, beat Nino on narrow rims?

as you were...

True that.

After visiting the Biokineticist I got my report that I sit at 15% body fat, which could "easily" be reduced to under 10%. But also, pizza is just too enjoyable....

Dropping 1.8kgs off the weight of my MTB will cost about R10 000.

Dropping 5kg in body weight would require of me to do some basic planning for my breakfast and lunch at work instead of going to the Drive-thru 50% of the time.

But we all know swiping the card at the bike store is much easier  :devil:

Always considered a set of carbon rims, but my eyes were opened recently when I learned that carbon fibre parts can't be recycled. Just imagine the large piles of useless broken carbon fibre accumulated over time...

I saw an interesting program on recycling carbon bike frames and then remoulding the resultant product into new car bodies.  500 frames to one body.  I nearly cried watching them chop up frames that we would consider easily repairable.

Hi all,

what are some of the lightest mtb rims available locally that are not carbon?

looking at upgrading my current rims only but don't want to go carbon.

29er, modern widths for XC / stage races. 

Currently have the std rims that come with a 2018 scott spark 940. Not sure what they are or weigh because if i google the code on the rims it doesn't appear to match anything so I don't know the current weight :P

Thanks 

D

edit: photo attached

2018 American Classic Wide Lightning 29" Boost - R6000.00

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/309842-2018-american-classic-wide-lightning-29-boost/

Don't go with ZTR Crest - go wide (30mm internal)

If you don't go with the AC's, look at the Lyne AmP 30.

If you have a bit more cash, go custom with Hope Pro 4 hubs and Easton/Race Face Arc 30 or WTB i29 rims as fairly light options. Double butted spokes and brass nipples.

ZTR Flows are also wide and stronger (and proportionally heavier).

Don't forget that you need Boost hubs for your bike

And then get some tyres that compliment the rim width. Run them at the proper pressures and enjoy riding your 'new' bike.

AMC has closed shop, these are the last bits of the Wide Lightnings they are building

Mozzarella-cheese-for-Pizza-mozzarella-c

Archived